Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Bargains [Groceries]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,798 ✭✭✭✭zell12

T teabags 80 now 89c (yum)
    TV teabags 40 still 59c (yuck)

Go figure. I'm guessing their 'The 800' price promise will end soon, otherwise it shows the gigantic profit they make in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

May as well stick this here.

Tesco are allowing people combine €10 off vouchers, I was able to use one of their own and one of the Dunnes vouchers today. A €50 shop cost me just 30 which was nice.

This was in Tesco Carlow, but the woman said all stores should be allowing it.

Edit* I was wrong about one thing the shop was €60 before the double discount

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Owryan wrote: »
    Tesco are allowing people combine €10 off vouchers, I was able to use one of their own and one of the Dunnes vouchers today. A €50 shop cost me just 30 which was nice.

Just so others know I would not be going in presuming this is the case. Not saying you are talking BS, or the woman, but this makes absolutely no sense to me policy wise. If you get it well for you, just do not go in expecting/demanding it. There is no mention of this on their site or facebook page.

I definitely know they are making a loss at me buying stuff with the single 10euro voucher, if I got another 10 off they would be better off banning me or paying me to stay away!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,030 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Tesco in Letterkenny refused to take Dunne's stores vouchers in the past so it seems to be down to the individual stores

• Registered Users Posts: 82,341 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

May as well stick this here.

rubadub wrote: »
    Just so others know I would not be going in presuming this is the case. Not saying you are talking BS, or the woman, but this makes absolutely no sense to me policy wise. If you get it well for you, just do not go in expecting/demanding it. There is no mention of this on their site or facebook page.

I definitely know they are making a loss at me buying stuff with the single 10euro voucher, if I got another 10 off they would be better off banning me or paying me to stay away!

A work around mentioned before on the vouchers is that on a self service till you would present the Dunnes voucher to the person looking after the machines and they would then enter the code to make the deduction, you would then once this was done scan your Tesco voucher and that would also be accepted. No idea if this still works or how ethical it is but if the system allows it I presume it's fair game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I’ve heard some Tescos have a sign up saying they won’t take spend and save vouchers at the express checkouts

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

vicwatson wrote: »
    I’ve heard some Tescos have a sign up saying they won’t take spend and save vouchers at the express checkouts

They never did take them at the Express checkouts.
    They have to be manually put in by staff- and confirmed with a supervisor at the express tills- its just not worth the trouble.

rubadub wrote: »

Just so you can see I wasn't spoofing. 2 x€10 coupon discounts, one is from Dunnes. It was the checkout? manager who said it to me.

I'm certainly not going in demanding it. It is just as handy to use them over 2 shops. But it might be worth asking for those who have 2 different store coupons

10% off Itunes & AppStore cards until 01/04

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭123654789

They never did take them at the Express checkouts.
    They have to be manually put in by staff- and confirmed with a supervisor at the express tills- its just not worth the trouble.

You can use tescos own own spend and saves at the self service tills because their own bar code is on it.

Competitors ones need to be manually inputted because the bar code doesn't register. Usually they put it in either as a 10e off coupon using the Coupon Does Not Scan button or by scanning a little paper bar code (that they often seem to have one of for the whole store :rolleyes: )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

zell12 wrote: »
    10% off Itunes & AppStore cards until 01/04

Any idea what value, these discounts are usually on only one of the cards say €50 iTunes, thanks for posting.

Any idea what value, these discounts are usually on only one of the cards say €50 iTunes, thanks for posting.
    It's the €25, €50, €100 cards

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Thanks really need some credit for the app store.

• At the risk of sounding greedy 10% ain't great. Usually it was always 20% for the Google Play cards anyway. But hey it's better than nothing I suppose.

Tesco hot cross buns 4 pack for 33cent. Taste grand and were BB 30-3-18, so not like they were sold off going out of date. There were loads of them but it does not show online.

Also used my 12 off 60 voucher which was going out of date today. My vouchers arrived midweek and one 12 off 60 was already out of date, so check your letters.

T crinkle cut oven chips 1.5kg €1.50 75c
    silly price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Just posted on Tesco's Facebook page that up until April 9th, you can use multiple competitor coupons per transaction. No T&C's posted, so I don't know what the limit is, or if there is one!
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1677969025622394&id=119187884833857

pigtail33 wrote: »
    Just posted on Tesco's Facebook page that up until April 9th, you can use multiple competitor coupons per transaction. No T&C's posted, so I don't know what the limit is, or if there is one!
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1677969025622394&id=119187884833857
    Still a minimum spend per coupon. Not really a dealbreaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

hardly going to accept 2 for the same amount surely? not really a fair ask

T crinkle cut oven chips 1.5kg €1.50 75c
    silly price

just came here to post it! Thought it was a mistake, esp. as crinkle cut usually cost a little more. The previous bags of skinny mcdonalds type tesco fries/chips appear to be gone. I think there are a few new types/brandings of chips. There is a big bag of the skinny ones now.

I liked the small 750g bag, think it was 1kg before that, the new 1.5kg bag has different styling.

I see a 900g bag online, but it was not in my shop. It is only 71c, this has the same branding as the 1.5kg bag I saw.

IDShot_225x225.jpg

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=299598174

I hope they are the same as the last ones, they do really well in an airfryer.

I tried the "tesco finest chunky chips" and they are pretty good, I put more oil on them. For some reason they still presume people cooking oven chips are on a health buzz and want low fat.

IDShot_225x225.jpg

They are 1.5Kg €2.75 (€1.84/kg) an made with maris pipers, the potato most chefs recommend. While far more expensive than the cheap tesco ones they compare very favorably to bog standard branded ones (both in price & taste).

Some branded prices are shocking
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=279782798
    Mccain Quick Cook French Fries 750G €4.67 (€6.23/kg)
    The portion of chips costs more than the steak!

Hot cross buns still 4 for 33c

Irn bru 2L and Irn bru xtra (diet) 2L are both 1euro
    SAVE 1.09 Was 2.09 Now 1.00
    valid from 7/3/2018 until 3/4/2018

It is still full sugar, I think there was talk of it reducing in sugar due to the UK sugar tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Tesco & Aldi are having a bit of an ol' price war. Lidl are kind of joining in in a half hearted sort of way. Dunnes and Supervalu are looking the other way pretending nothing is happening.

In both Tesco & Aldi I've noticed significant reductions on Tonic water, Corn ( 'tortilla' ) chips, Frozen veg : peas, beans, broccoli and ( as has been noticed ) oven chips.

Not doing much with Tesco I wouldn't be surprised if there are many more items with significant price reductions.

( IMO Tesco own brand frozen peas are pretty good :) )

Still a minimum spend per coupon. Not really a dealbreaker.

Seems like a good deal to me, you just have to spend the minimum on the higher coupon. I posted about this offer the other day. Spent €50 today. Used a 10 off 50 Tesco coupon and a 10 off 40 dunnes one. Paid 30 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Is it correct to say that Tesco vouchers can be used for household items as well as groceries whereas Dunnes cannot? Could you use a Tesco 10 from 60 voucher and a Dunnes 10 from 40 voucher to buy household items in Tesco?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Is it correct to say that Tesco vouchers can be used for household items as well as groceries whereas Dunnes cannot? Could you use a Tesco 10 from 60 voucher and a Dunnes 10 from 40 voucher to buy household items in Tesco?

Yep. The only exclusions are what's printed on the back of the Tesco vouchers.

This is wrong by the way. You cannot use 2 vouchers for the same amount. I mean as if you spend 50 you can use a 10 off 50 and a 10 off 40 to get it for 30. This is a mistake by the cashier. They've taken it up wrong.

It's strictly 1 spend and save per transaction, or in this case amount spent.

I posted about this offer the other day. Spent €50 today. Used a 10 off 50 Tesco coupon and a 10 off 40 dunnes one. Paid 30 euro.
    RossieMan wrote: »
    I mean as if you spend 50 you can use a 10 off 50 and a 10 off 40 to get it for 30. This is a mistake by the cashier. They've taken it up wrong..
    This is what I was getting at in a previous post. Again I certainly do not believe Owryan is spoofing, there is no sense/gain in doing so, so please do not go to the bother of posting receipts again. I fully believe you got it for that price again.

I also believe the cashier was in the wrong, and possibly getting in trouble (as previous posters have mentioned in this or other threads), not that you are to blame in any way. Some were even allowed buy tesco vouchers, and then use those vouchers to buy more vouchers, continuously discounted and obviously not intended.

If multiples could officially be used in the way Owryan's cashier is currently allowing then if I found say a stash of supervalu "10 off 50" vouchers dumped in a bush it would meant I could go into tesco and get say a 2000euro TV for 40euro. The TV would be 2000, hand in a 10 off 50 so it now becomes, 1990, hand in another 10 off 50 and it is 1980...

Keep doing this until it is down to 50 and hand in your last one to get it for 40. When you go to extremes it becomes more obvious why it should not be the case.

As said no T&Cs were in the facebook post. And as I reckon zell12 was getting at it is a min spend per coupon, i.e. you can buy groceries for 101, and use 2x50/10 voucher and so get it for 81, without having to bother splitting them into 2 purchases. Or you can buy a single item for 101 and use 2 50/10 vouchers.

Two weeks 2 different cashiers, both accepted the two vouchers without any questions. The manager confirmed that it is allowed. You can only use one coupon per competitor. So in my case i used 1 tesco one and one dunnes one. If i had one for supervalu i could have used that, as long as i met the minimum spend on it.

There was no splitting the shop into two either.

Not sure what you mean by buy vouchers tho.

This is Tesco in Carlow, i am not the only one taking advantage of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭123654789

Not sure what you mean by buy vouchers tho.

Buying a gift card for tesco and getting €10 off.
    Then using it + a €10 off voucher to buy another one. Etc.

It clearly states on your Tesco vouchers it can't be used with any other spend and save.

Carlow are doing it wrong, I've read the back of my coupons very well, they've themselves completely covered so they do not have to lose out. The Facebook post is merely to stop people having to split their shops. They'll accept 2 vouchers one the minimum spend is reached on both, is my understanding anyway.

You've just got lucky I suppose.

Edit: which Tesco ones are you using? It's not your ones like 5 euro coupon or 10 euro? Just a money amount? These can be used with other vouchers.

• Advertisement

RossieMan wrote: »
    It clearly states on your Tesco vouchers it can't be used with any other spend and save.

Carlow are doing it wrong, I've read the back of my coupons very well, they've themselves completely covered so they do not have to lose out. The Facebook post is merely to stop people having to split their shops. They'll accept 2 vouchers one the minimum spend is reached on both, is my understanding anyway.

You've just got lucky I suppose.

Edit: which Tesco ones are you using? It's not your ones like 5 euro coupon or 10 euro? Just a money amount? These can be used with other vouchers.

They are spend 50 get 10 off ones. Came in the booklet.

The Dunnes ones are 10 off 40 that I got in the post.

Advertisement