Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Bargains [Groceries]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,702 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

dcividini wrote: »
    Just a warning; some of them are way off best before date in my local Tesco.

I recieved a box of each of the 4 flavours on offer today .
    All June 2021 expiry date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Snow Crash wrote: »

- Nakd Berry Bliss flavour were best before 12/11/20 last year so I'll be complaining to Tesco about that:eek:

Just a suggestion but why not just take the 80 cent hit, and don't bother complaining to Tesco. Supermarkets are busy enough with all the staff packing orders for deliveries, for people who need the service and others who don't, so maybe just give them some leeway during these testing times and maybe just let it go.

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Just a suggestion but why not just take the 80 cent hit, and don't bother complaining to Tesco. Supermarkets are busy enough with all the staff packing orders for deliveries, for people who need the service and others who don't, so maybe just give them some leeway during these testing times and maybe just let it go.

Those bars could be 6 months out of date and still be fine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

No excuse for selling 2months+ BB out of date food items, supermarkets are cleaning up during the Pandemic and can well afford proper inventory management, if they give out of date food to a customer who in turn becomes sick then they'll know about it.
    Proper order to give them the complaint, I don't know why there's this attitude that a complaint is a negative, Tesco want to know about these issues before it becomes something bigger.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

They could be years past their 'best before' date and still be absolutely fine, as long as they've been sufficiently well stored. The sooner the EU scraps 'best before' nonsense, the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭septictank

Those bars could be 6 months out of date and still be ****e.

Fixed that for you, lol.

Quackster wrote: »
    They could be years past their 'best before' date and still be absolutely fine, as long as they've been sufficiently well stored. The sooner the EU scraps 'best before' nonsense, the better.

I actually found a packet of Crunchies from 2014 in a press at home last week and they were fine .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Those bars could be 6 months years out of date and still be fine.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Quackster wrote: »
    The sooner the EU scraps 'best before' nonsense, the better.

While I agree that it’s nonsense, I hope they don’t scrap it because it will get rid of the great deals to be had by picking up out or nearly out stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭Soarer

Snow Crash wrote: »
    - Nakd Berry Bliss flavour were best before 12/11/20 last year so I'll be complaining to Tesco about that:eek:

I'd say get it down ya, and watch the money roll in!

"But your Honour. Why would I check the date when it was delivered to me? Is it too much to assume that Tesco would've checked the dates before packing and delivering?" ;)

No sense of responsibility anymore!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

Seve OB wrote: »
    While I agree that it’s nonsense, I hope they don’t scrap it because it will get rid of the great deals to be had by picking up out or nearly out stuff

Exactly. There's a few places here that starts reducing prices of their 30day dry aged angus, organic beef and organic lamb 2 days before the best before date. Coupled with spend and save vouchers, I'm getting about 60% off prime cuts

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Space Dog

They probably wouldn't be fine 6 months out of date as ground nuts tend to go rancid and the dates and berries will dry out. I've eaten them out of date and you they started to deteriorate in quality a few weeks after their best before date.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,104 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Any actual Tesco bargains? Updating my online order and all I see are price increases and out of stock notices. Tesco own brand range has almost disappeared too. Bloody Brexit!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

slave1 wrote: »
    No excuse for selling 2months+ BB out of date food items, supermarkets are cleaning up during the Pandemic and can well afford proper inventory management, if they give out of date food to a customer who in turn becomes sick then they'll know about it.
    Proper order to give them the complaint, I don't know why there's this attitude that a complaint is a negative, Tesco want to know about these issues before it becomes something bigger.

Since when has a BB date become an "out of date" date.

I saw a BB date on honey. Honey will stay perfect for decades.

But means plenty of offers.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Caranica wrote: »
    Any actual Tesco bargains? Updating my online order and all I see are price increases and out of stock notices. Tesco own brand range has almost disappeared too. Bloody Brexit!

Ah, nothing like that countdown to 23:46 before you get cut off. I'm very thankful of Tesco delivery, I have not stepped inside a shop since March. The current range of omissions are a bit annoying alright, but I've always managed to get another brand so don't miss out. The higher price that I pay for some items is a small one in lieu of not having to go to the shops.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Exactly. There's a few places here that starts reducing prices of their 30day dry aged angus, organic beef and organic lamb 2 days before the best before date. Coupled with spend and save vouchers, I'm getting about 60% off prime cuts
    Ah, now you're talking 'use by' dates and they're an entirely different kettle of fish. Folk too often conflate 'best before' with 'use by' which leads to no end of needless dumping of perfectly good food.

Don't worry, those 'use by' bargains won't be going anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Any bargains at all folks ?

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Any bargains at all folks ?

Bag of bramley cooking apples (4 or 5 apples depending on size) for .49c great for spot of baking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Tesco Irish Beef Roasting Joint (1Kg - 1.4Kg) - HALF PRICE - https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=304723987

Great option for the slow cooker ahead of the upcoming freezing weather!

Patsy167 wrote: »
    Tesco Irish Beef Roasting Joint (1Kg - 1.4Kg) - HALF PRICE - https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=304723987

I bought this a few weeks ago when it was on offer, you wouldn't give it to a dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 LaLaLamb

I bought this a few weeks ago when it was on offer, you wouldn't give it to a dog.

I have to second this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

House keepers cut is often half price too and much nicer in the slow cooker I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

LaLaLamb wrote: »
    I have to second this.

Would you recommend the lamb?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I wonder what this mystery meat is. I wish they had to legally list the actual anatomical names a vet would use, since even terms like "brisket" are vague if you look at discussions in food groups.

This mystery "roasting joint" is supposed to be 11.70 per kilo, yet their sirloin steak regular price is 9.75 per kilo
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=302463485

I am having a go at tesco and certainly not Patsy167, even with the warnings I will probably get one myself and try it in the instantpot. Thanks for the tip off.

rubadub wrote: »

This mystery "roasting joint" is supposed to be 11.70 per kilo, yet their sirloin steak regular price is 9.75 per kilo
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=302463485

I am having a go at tesco and certainly not Patsy167, even with the warnings I will probably get one myself and try it in the instantpot. Thanks for the tip off.

Its overpriced at 5.85 per kg.

If I cooked an old shoe it would have been more edible that the piece I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 LaLaLamb

rubadub wrote: »

I'd be interested to hear if others fare better. I appreciate Patsy167 taking the time to post the bargain, even if it didn't work out for me.My cooking skills may not have been up to the task.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

500g Penne Pasta 10c

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Might not be everyone's cup of tea

Strawberry Jaffa cakes 42 cent
    542261.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Patsy167

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

Kelloggs Corn Flakes 720G

€1.50

Advertisement