Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hello Men.. Interviews - Bald Egg Vs. Stubble ???

• 19-09-2016 6:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

Usually float around work&jobs but for some reason thought this would be more suitable.

So I'm a folicaly challenged man. I've accepted it (for the most part) and I do a nice 1 blade once or twice a week or I start to look like a Kiwi.

I rarely razor shave on account that my face is rubbish and overly sensitive and I look like an EGG afterwords. As such I continue my 1 blade around my entire head, minus my eyebrows. I get a decent stubbly look to prevent the similarities of me and a egg.

The question is.... Stubble.... is it ever ok when at an interview ( for junior / entry roles with Suit and tie). While people tend to style their lovely mops, I feel my stubbly beard adds character of sorts or makes me more personable and less bland. Its not for the lack of effort that stubble often implies but just simply I think I look better with it. Think of Jason Statham without the body, the money, the cars and the girl or the stunts.

So comments, opinions and so on....

Comments

As long as its tidy and trimmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

Can only speak for the world of accountancy here, but as an employer and interviewer you are looking at someone to potentially send to a key client's premises. No amount of 'ah sure it is the trendy thing to do' sh*te will mask that fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Stoogie

So he should look like an egg with razor burn? When does fashion and trend become the done thing.
    OP what do you do for a living?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

DUBACC wrote: »
    Can only speak for the world of accountancy here, but as an employer and interviewer you are looking at someone to potentially send to a key client's premises. No amount of 'ah sure it is the trendy thing to do' sh*te will mask that fact.

This is true of other conservative professions as well.

Although there are plenty of employers who would allow a bit of leeway, when it comes to a job interview, it is safest to err on the side of caution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I interviewed for an IFSC funds company a couple of years back for a middle manager position and was successful. I'm bald and have a beard so I believe it's acceptable as long as you are well groomed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Stoogie wrote: »
    OP what do you do for a living?

Current non-client facing admin role. Hopefully client facing banking role (entry).

Most likely ill err on the side of caution to just avoid it as a potential excuse. Find it interesting it can still be seen as a sign of laziness and scruffyness. Spend longer with my 1 blading my head than most people withe their flash of wax and comb.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Find it interesting it can still be seen as a sign of laziness and scruffyness.

Noone said that.
    I would concur that if you look smart you will have no problems. Facial hair can easily look smart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Having interviewed people before, I'd say a full groomed beard is fine, or clean shaven. I wouldnt chance anything in-between as theres no way of knowing if the interviewer will think its purposeful designer stubble or that you're just too lazy to shave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I'm probably in a completely different predicament here, being a software engineer and considering what some of us go around looking like (yep, the term "neckbeard" comes to mind), but I do normally keep a goatee; Trimmed and not looking like something that would be better suited to a...well, goat's face; Went to plenty of interviews with it and got jobs, no problem whatsoever.

Now, finance and the likes might be different, but to be honest I'd say anybody with half a brain will be able to distinguish between laziness and a well cared for stubble...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

A bit of stubble would be OK provided you shave your neck at neaten the hair on your cheeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Letree wrote: »
    A bit of stubble would be OK provided you shave your neck at neaten the hair on your cheeks.

Thats kind of what I do, in Fairness its more of a shadow of a fat chin strap, cheeks and neck are clean though

• Site Banned Posts: 3 Beta Uprising

Op I'm in the same boat as you. Trust me, facial stubble won't make look cool, it'll make you look like a 16 year old traveller.

May as well get neck tattoos while you're at it.

Advertisement