Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this vice part fixable??

Options
  • 19-09-2016 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Hello all,

In the final stages of making my woodworking bench. It's a Paul Sellers style one, similar in some ways to the one Sparks finished yesterday.
    I picked a Parkinson's Perfect Vice 15 at a car boot sale a few months ago in great condition, quick release working and original good paintwork. I went to disassemble it earlier in order to offer it up to the front of the workbench so I could trace out the area that I needed to mortice out. When sliding off the end cap (not sure of the actual name of the part) it got a bit stuck so I gave it what I thought was a really gentle tap of a nearby hammer. After surviving since before the 1930s all it needed was a few minutes in my hands to end up in 2 pieces on the garage floor. Numpty.

Before proceeding and cutting out the sizeable chunk of wood I need to fit the vice, I wanted to check if there is any way of fixing this. I'd imagine getting spare parts would be a bit of a lottery. My knowledge of metalwork isn't great. Neither, it appears, is my knowledge of gentle disassembly of old tools. I've attached a photo. [IMG][/img]Broken%20Vice%20Part_zpstnpflehj.jpg

Any advice would be welcome.

Sound,

Mark

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Its cast, so should be weldable no problem. Just get a chap thats an experienced welder
    with cast iron.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

Great stuff - hopefully it shouldn't be too big a job. Only new enough to the area (Carlow) so will have to ask around a bit to see who'd do that sort of work.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Engine or machine rebuilders would be used to cast material.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Give Jap engineering a call they may be able to help

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

If it makes you feel any better, I keep reading how that specific bit is horribly fragile when being tapped off the rails (I used a bit of 2x4 to knock mine off the 53A I used and was terrified I was going to snap it even then).

And of course, be careful when belting it to get it back on as well...

• Advertisement
Advertisement