Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Experience

Options
  • 19-09-2016 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi there.

I'm currently in my third year in AIT doing Software Design, which requires me to do 6 months work placement this coming January.
    I was wondering if anyone here has any experience doing so and what companies did people apply to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Popple3

Ericsson is the obvious choice of you want to stay in Athlone, that's what I did. Ended up working there for 4 years after college too. Otherwise, I'd say just apply anywhere you'd like to work I guess. Maybe someone else has advice for beyond Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ParamoreBaby

Popple3 wrote: »
    Ericsson is the obvious choice of you want to stay in Athlone, that's what I did. Ended up working there for 4 years after college too. Otherwise, I'd say just apply anywhere you'd like to work I guess. Maybe someone else has advice for beyond Athlone.

Yeah, I will definitely be applying for Ericsson as well, but I'm assuming it'll be tough to get into as most people will probably be applying there? What was the interview process like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

I also did work experience at Ericsson this year. The person who is handling the placements for your year group will have a section on the placements moodle page for you to upload your CV. So there will be one upload page for Ericsson, and then others for different workplaces. Keep in mind, you'll have to put your grades on your CV, so you should have an average grade at around 55-60% if you want to get into Ericsson. If all goes well, you'll get called to do an interview with them. Its about 20-30 minutes long, they'll ask you questions about the work you've done at college, and some coding questions. I was asked what inheritance etc. was, so they aren't too difficult. You won't be asked to explain actual code. It took them about a week to get back to me after I did the interview so don't worry if it takes them a while to call you back

Keep your CV to 2 pages max and make sure to put your phone number, email address etc. on your CV. Let me know if you need any more information.

Advertisement