Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miscarriage Q

Options
  • 19-09-2016 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all,

Not sure where to post this. Myself and husband have been long-term TTC and were looking into IVF. To my shock and surprise I got a positive test last week, sadly all of my symptoms have now stopped and I'm bleeding heavily. I'm 99% sure that I'm experiencing early miscarriage. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow, and I'm really asking those of you who've been through it before, what's next? Is there an examination involved or will I just be told to wait it out (I'd prefer this option tbh but need a note for work). Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Zizigirl

Hi Ruad, sorry for your loss. I suffered a loss around six weeks earlier this year and I had to go to emergency department. They admitted me so I would be scanned by early pregnancy unit to check that it wasn't an ectopic pregnancy and watch my hormone levels dropping to a non pregnant level again. I had to have an internal scan and while it was all very clinical and not nice, it wasn't sore. Be kind to yourself, its a big shock no matter when it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lollpop

I've had two. They were managed differently as it really depends on the pregnancy.

Is it the GP you're going to? They should refer you to the early pregnancy unit in the hospital. They should do a scan and decide on a plan depending on what they see. If it's already happening naturally they'll likely recommend you let it happen and they'll do another scan in a week or so. Either the hospital or the GP can give you a cert for work for a few weeks if you need it.

Sorry for your loss, take care of yourself.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'm sorry for your loss.

I think it can depend on the hospital. Some will check you out, others are more hands off.

An early miscarriage will feel very like a period - maybe a bit more cramping or blood or heavier flow, but the usual pain relief such as paracetamol, hot water bottle and rest help on the physical side. Obviously anything outside of 'normal' cramping and bleeding go directly to A&E.

Hospital-wise, the only exam that I got was a pregnancy test, and they deliberately offered me an appointment about 8 days after I rang them for bleeding. That's so that it's pretty much done at that stage -they will check that you've passed all the tissue (via pregnancy test) or if your test is still positive, investigate further for retained tissue or other complications.

All my miscarriages were before 8 weeks and within a week I'd more or less stopped bleeding and tested negative so never needed medical intervention. All bar the first one (which was a vanishing twin) I still turned up for work - not being a masochist or anything, just that sitting at home would have cracked me up and I needed distraction rather than thinking. But if you need to take time, physically or emotionally, get signed off.

Be kind to yourself - you'll be all over the place emotionally, or you might be fine for now only for it to hit you like a tonne of bricks down the line. Allow yourselves to grieve whatever way helps for you.

Advertisement