Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare Commute Phoenix Park Tunnel

Options
  • 19-09-2016 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Anyone else disappointed about the timetables for the Phoenix Park Tunnel?

Not one direct train from Kildare Town. Only one possible connection in the morning from Kildare Town which would have you at Grand Canal at 9am, which still leaves me about 20 minutes from work. The earlier connection leaves Newbridge 7 minutes after you leave Kildare town, surely you'd miss this half the time, not even accounting for the legging it to the other platform. Was really looking forward to this, would save an hour a day in total off my commute.

Left out note about feedback on Irish Rail's website, closes tomorrow for anyone interested

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I am more disappointed in a general way at the time it will take

imo going to Heuston and getting on a bus will still be a bit quicker than staying on the train to Pearse and a 10 minute walk!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,878 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Depends entirely where you work. Plenty of people work much less than 10mins walk from one of the newly served stations; also opens up DCU's campuses to Kildare line students much easier. If the Heuston trains and a bus is still quicker by all means take that - this is mainly to get more passengers to go by rail and also relieve the red line Luas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Wordless

Yeah I'm disappointed too, it was been sold as a direct way into the city rather than stopping at Heuston and waiting for the LUAS. Rather than that we got a hop on at Kildare Town (or before) and jump off at either Newbridge, Sallins or Hazelhatch and then wait for a connector. For me it means still using the LUAS the line seems to be used to grow numbers in stops like Adamstown and Park West (which have very small numbers using them). It's a pity really.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

I also agree that there should be connections at Kildare Town to trains going through the tunnel - it would mean that all commuters from there and those who change there would have a connection to the city centre.

As it stands the time take to change to a connecting train at Newbridge or Sallins outweighs the time gain from using the Phoenix Park Tunnel. Huge numbers of possible users are being excluded - it is ill thought out and hopefully somebody in charge will see sense and make amendments.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭axcel

I left feedback for Irish Rail where they had it open for submissions so you never know. One of our local county councilors did too, fair play to her. Hopefully they'll take the feedback they get on board, I'm sure they must have received a bit anyway.

Yes the amount of time it will save at the minute isn't great to be honest. If these high speed trains ever come into play it will be unreal. Just moving back to Kildare full time now, so not looking forward to the commute but it's not the worst.

I never thought about DCU students, that must be some relief for them given the rental nightmare

• Advertisement
Advertisement