Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric Revues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Nice result Kurt, a national champs medal is a nice return! Don't neglect the bike though to work on the run, you will have to run off the bike in Rotterdam so make sure it's in decent shape too to give you the best chance of a good run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Mon Rest

Tue 35mins turbo
    5 easy
    5 * (30s build, 30s easy)
    10* (min hard, min easy)
    5 easy
    Gorey, Brittas Bay etc.. see form GC your swims. Nice beaches. I won't forget my goggles etc next time I visit!

Good going in the Aquathlon

Cheers Mike, give me a shout next time you're over and I'll lend you a pair ;) Some nice swimming spots to show off!
    joey100 wrote: »
    Nice result Kurt, a national champs medal is a nice return! Don't neglect the bike though to work on the run, you will have to run off the bike in Rotterdam so make sure it's in decent shape too to give you the best chance of a good run.

Yeah a gong is a gong is a gong ;) I'm happy with how it went. Mainly the confidence I took from the run.

Speaking of the bike, I took the decision to change my entry to the draft legal Sprint. My 10k running is just letting me down too much, whereas I'm better suited to the shorter 5k. My swim will be about the same standard 750m or 1.5k, as is by bike. There's just no getting away from the fact that I achieve better sprint results, and the last thing I want to do is end the season disappointed by blowing up in the 10k.

What's that? Everyone agrees? Who am I to argue... *click* a new bike has been ordered, Ribble 872 di2 arriving soon ;)

Very nice!! They are a lovely looking bike. Between this and the training facility you are building down there I'm expecting great things! Will you try and get a draft legal race in beforehand?

Tue PM 5k easy run 4:35/km
    The legs, body, felt good. I'm a bit lighter than usual (amazing what less booze does for ya:rolleyes:) and this helps the stride. I need to keep this up though, can't afford to lug extra kg around a hot Dutch September.
    Very nice!! They are a lovely looking bike. Between this and the training facility you are building down there I'm expecting great things! Will you try and get a draft legal race in beforehand?

Yeah, you look at carbon bikes, look at electronic shifters, and the high prices... and then you look at Ribble who make it all very affordable! I bought a cheap set of carbon 82/101 from Ribble before and was impressed with the bang for buck!
    I did one draft legal race, and was left for dead when they sprinted the hills. Its unlikely I could make any of the local bike races (you also need to commit to stewarding and I have finite time), but I've asked about entering DCT draft legal (appartently TI want AG'ers entered the R'dam sprint to do it). Other than that I'll just try and get more pack riding in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Well done on the AG medal. Nice one.
    A question if I may? If you were at your limit on Saturday at 4:14/km how was 4:35/km easy yesterday? Somethings not quite right there.

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    Well done on the AG medal. Nice one.
    A question if I may? If you were at your limit on Saturday at 4:14/km how was 4:35/km easy yesterday? Somethings not quite right there.

And this is why its worthwhile posting on these Boards logs:D

Spot on P, easy pace should have been well over 5min/km! Great point, noted and filed against future injuries!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

P is spot on, I am running probably 2mins for a 5k quicker and my slow recovery runs are 30-40per sec/km slower than yours.
    When I see your paces on some easy runs to me they don't seem that easy (that's from me knowing you and your fancy running socks)

P is spot on, I am running probably 2mins for a 5k quicker and my slow recovery runs are 30-40per sec/km slower than yours.
    When I see your paces on some easy runs to me they don't seem that easy (that's from me knowing you and your fancy running socks)

I probably should have called the run "steady" (it just felt easy). I looked back over previous entries and usually I run easy at around 5:20 pace.

Wed 45min turbo; 2k OW

turbo:
    10 easy
    6*(3min BG hard, 2 easy)
    5 easy

swim:
    500 warmup (sprints)
    750 sighting/drafting in a chain of 4 (leader holds for 50m then moves to rear)
    750 steady

A big crowd in Arklow, we did a decent OW session that had more purpose than the usual long steady swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Are you swimming sans wetsuit at all this year? I haven't worn mine since last summer ;)

griffin100 wrote: »
    Are you swimming sans wetsuit at all this year? I haven't worn mine since last summer ;)

Thursday 10k easy run, 500m OW

A decent beach run while the kids were doing surf lifesaving training, followed by the first skins swimming of the year, thanks to Griffin ;) The water was beautiful!

• Advertisement

Friday 1:40 turbo

10 easy
    3*(20min steady BG, 10 easy)

I've moved the turbo out to the pool room, much better out there rather than stinking up the office. My pool heater was turned on a couple of days ago, soon had the pool up to 27C, and its held its heat despite being turned off past 24 hours. This made the turbo pretty sweaty- no harm in that I want to get used to training in heat.

(no current machine yet, need the sparky out to hook that up)

Sat Tullow Parkrun 5k 20:02

2.5k warm up, 5k run, 2.5k cooldown

Today was the first Saturday free in ages, so myself and wifey took the opportunity to run the local Parkrun in Tullow. My legs were tired from yesterday's turbo, but the goal was to run around 20 mins. The first km I spent trying to reel in a lad who took off fast, and I sat behind him until halfway. At this stage my garmin was saying I was running 4:15 pace- the effort felt faster than this, and indeed afterwards my garmin had measured short- so I took him and immediately regretted it, running now into a headwind. That's a rookie mistake, and shows my lack of pure run racing. I help the pace until a km to go when he put a blast in and I couldn't match it. The last km was tough enough, and another guy pipped me too. I wasn't really willing to put in huge effort to try and catch/match them, as todays plan was a tempo run rather than a flat out race. Nevertheless there is a mental deficit left when you don't challenge to the finish, and its something I need to be mindful of. Very easy to let that attitude seep in when you're hurting.

Overall I was happy enough, 20 mins is what I was hoping for, all that matters is to hold that pace in the sprint in two months time.

Sat PM 6k easy run 5:35/km

Sun 90k hilly bike 24.7kph av

The unexpected plan was to bike to the top of Mt Leinster. I had done part of this the opposite direction a couple of weeks back, so was expecting to find it tough. We had a headwind to contend with too going up, and by the time we reached the viewing point it was rainy, windy, and cold. Added to this, news came in that one of our party had taken a wrong turn, and another a wrong turn and a puncture... all of this meant we left the final climb to the summit for another day.

Weekly Summary- 8 weeks to go|Session|Comment

Monday|rest|my legs were tight after yesterdays run
    Tuesday|35min turbo; 5k run 4:35/km| hard short turbo intervals. Felt fresh on the run
    Wednesday|45min turbo; 2k OW|BG on the turbo. Decent OW session
    Thursday|10k easy run, 500m OW|Beach run (blistered feet after)
    Friday|1:40 turbo|3*(20min steady BG, 10 easy)
    Saturday|Parkrun 5k 20:02; 6k easy| good race and met my target
    Sunday|90k hilly bike 24.7kph average|Lots of climbing, felt better than usual

Weekly km|Swim 2.5k Bike 170k Run 31k|Hit the main run targets

There were two aims this week; bike intensity, and a 20min 5k. I managed both, being most pleased with hitting the 5k target. This is where I need to be at this stage of the game, and that figure needs to take 20 secs off in a months time.
    I've been neglecting the pool in favour of run and bike. That will change this week, with two pool sessions to complement a longer OW swim. I'm not too concerned about lack of pool time- feel for the water will return soon enough.

Mon 3,350m swim
    400 warm up
    4*50 kick (10s)
    10*100pb off 1:45
    5*100 drills (10s)
    10*100pb off 1:45
    10*25 hypoxic B 3,2,1,0,0,0,0,1,2,3

First time in the pool in a while, and as expected my form has declined. Usually I can get it back after a week or two, so I'm not too concerned. The first set of 10*100pb suggested an issue with rotation, which was fixed somewhat by the drills before the second set.

Mon PM 1.7k OW swim

The kids were at Brittas this evening, and the waves were swell, man. I hadn't packed the wetsuit, so a longer skins swim was in order tonight. It was as much fun as I've ever had in the water, I love nothing better than swimming in heavy seas. Eminently elementally enjoyable, and reminds you of your place in the world. I was freezing afterwards though, had to sit in the car with the heater on for a while. But well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    Mon PM 1.7k OW swim

The kids were at Brittas this evening, and the waves were swell, man. I hadn't packed the wetsuit, so a longer skins swim was in order tonight. It was as much fun as I've ever had in the water, I love nothing better than swimming in heavy seas. Eminently elementally enjoyable, and reminds you of your place in the world. I was freezing afterwards though, had to sit in the car with the heater on for a while. But well worth it.

You can't bate skins swimming. I did 5km skins in the Barrow yesterday and it took me hours to warm up afterwatds. Swimming in a wetsuit tis like washing your face.

Tue 54k bike 2:09

My new bike arrived today, a Ribble 872 with electronic shifters. I set it up as best I could, taking measurements from my old BeOne roadie, and set off for a spin. Stopped a few times along the way to tweek the saddle height and angle (I'll probably still need a bike fit), and generally I was amazed at how well the shifting responds. A huge leap forward from manual shifting. The bike itself is pretty stiff- seems to respond well to acceleration, works best on long sections, handles cornering well, and felt very good climbing. A good all-rounder.

You will be all set for Rotterdam now Kurt. What wheels will you be using on it?

You will be all set for Rotterdam now Kurt. What wheels will you be using on it?

I'm not sure, either C50's or 82/101. I'll try out both before. Must have 12+spokes and no disc, are the only rules as far as I can see.

The idea came to me to race this weekends Loughrea sprint on the roadie, and draft the F*** out of everyone :D Might be worthwhile for experience, and just take the DQ ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

When does the new triathlete arrive? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    I'm not sure, either C50's or 82/101. I'll try out both before. Must have 12+spokes and no disc, are the only rules as far as I can see.

The idea came to me to race this weekends Loughrea sprint on the roadie, and draft the F*** out of everyone :D Might be worthwhile for experience, and just take the DQ ;)

It's a good race and kids races too if ye were looking to make a family outing. Long trip for you though for a race. Was hoping to race myself but am going to Croker instead.

I doubt there'd be a DQ ;)

pgibbo wrote: »
    It's a good race and kids races too if ye were looking to make a family outing. Long trip for you though for a race. Was hoping to race myself but am going to Croker instead.

I doubt there'd be a DQ ;)

Kids races now sold out, just as well as its enough of a journey with packing for myself, never mind getting Missy ready with her bike, trisuit, hairbrush, moisturiser, makeup, iphone charger, apres race outfit, etc etc etc :D Good luck in da big schmoke!

Wed 9.3k run 4:52/km av, 1.5k OW swim 1:35/100m av

My legs are tired in strange places after yesterday's spin, confirming that a proper bike fit is needed. This evenings run was up over the Rock, back into Arklow, loop the town down by the docks and back to the swimming cove. The starting km was uphill into a headwind, but things got faster after that and I felt any lingering tightness disappear.

Straight into the wetsuit and a swelly sea, for a steady 1.5k where I was swimming well with a good strong pull.

Thurs, Fri Just turbo both days, on and off as I was playing with gearing.

Sat 6k 5:12 av

I'll be honest I messed up, thought Loughrea was on today and blew it off late on Friday, my bike just back from an emergency visit to the mechanics (I messed up part of my bar end shifters while "fixing them"). Figured out my mistake and went for an easy run, which became a small tempo session (3k easy, 1k 3:50, 1k easy, 1k 30s hard, 30s easy aternate).

Sun Loughrea Sprint 1:12:56

I got up early and played with my front derailleur, which still isn't working right. Loaded up the car and begun the long drive to Loughrea.

Swim 13:12
    It was windy and choppy, conditions that would suit me. I managed to outswim the crazy scrum from the beginning, just putting gradual distance into whoever was trying to literally swim over me and grabbing my legs... part and parcel of the whole thing. Once we swam 50m the chop worsened and there was constant water in the face. I got on legs for 100m but they dropped me- I think I know whose legs I was on and the agenbite of inwit is telling me right now I should have worked harder to stay on them. Sighting was generally easy around the yellow bouys (one kayaker wearing a yellow top however!), and I plugged away, jumping on legs for much of the way around. The final exit was difficult to sight, as we ran into a very wide sea of previous wave swimmers who were swimming in many directions. I finished 7th in my wave (M40+), just reward for the limited effort expended.

T1 1:25
    Includes a long run in, generally favourable in comparison to others.

Bike 36:34
    I had forgotten how hilly, twisty, and rough this course is, and in retrospect I might have been better taking the new roadie for experience. Nevertheless I had a solid performance, 32.3kph av which I'll take. In general I gave up a couple of minutes to rivals, and need to work more on my bike. Hills don't suit me though.

T2 1:02
    Adequate, still taking time to sink the feet into shoes.

Run 20:43
    I started well, first km was fast enough, but then slowed into a headwind and uphill. Overall I think I could have gone faster, I picked things up a bit on the return. Didn't sprint finish though, today isn't the day for that.

Overall
    A very similar race to last years, pace, position, and power wise. I have to be happy with that given the poor preparation. The real reason for travelling was to assess my run, and in that respect I'm happy. The goal is still a sub-20 5k in Rotterdam, and I'm moving in the right direction.
    Another great race from Predator Tri Club, well marshalled and organised.

Weekly Summary- 7 weeks to go|Session|Comment

Monday|3,350 pool; 1.7k OW|stiff in the pool; skins in choppy Brittas
    Tuesday|54k bike| first spin on new steed
    Wednesday|9.3k run 4:52/km av, 1.5k OW swim 1:35/100m av|Decent session both disciplines
    Thursday|easy turbo|
    Friday|easy turbo|
    Saturday|6k run| 1km at 3:50, then 30s on/off
    Sunday|Loughrea Sprint|Choppy swim, average on the bike, decent on the run

Weekly km|Swim 7.25k Bike 100k Run 24k|Decent race

This week was all about Loughrea Sprint, and although I mixed up the date (and so had too much easy stuff Thurs/Fri), the race itself went to plan.

Mon 6k recovery run 5:50/km
    I was stiff and sore today, this easy run helped.

Tue 30 mins easy turbo; 15min easy swim
    Stiffness was worse today so another easy day

Wed 50min turbo
    10 easy
    5*(min sprint, 30s easy)
    7 min easy
    5*(min sprint, 30s easy)
    7 min easy
    5*(min sprint, 30s easy)
    7 min easy

I adjusted the new bike during the warmup, the saddle felt a lot better. Into the hard sprints which were short but intense, and they all felt like a very long 60 seconds.

CK this weekend Kurt?

CK this weekend Kurt?

Afraid not joey... the youngsters have surf lifesaving champs on Sat/Sun, and their activities take precedence to my activities at this stage! Are you going yourself? Sorry can't tow you in the swim this year:P

Yep, I'll be there, no youngsters to take precedence in my house! Cud have done with a tow in the swim alright!

• Advertisement

Yep, I'll be there, no youngsters to take precedence in my house! Cud have done with a tow in the swim alright!

I got a shock when I saw you exit so close last year... I've a feeling you'd pip me in the swim this year! You're going well, I was talking to Martin A and he says you are the man to beat! Best of luck at the weekend. Love that race!

Advertisement