Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric Revues

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Thanks lads- despite any "chesty" excuses I was always going to go and give it what I had on the day. I'm a bit numb now and shocked that Ryanair can just do that- I had checked times and dates booked everything last May. Checked in my flights yesterday afternoon... no excuses offered for the cancelation! I have Travel Insurance but apparently it doesn't pay for Hotels or Race entries if the airline offer you a flight 24 hours later:rolleyes: which makes you wonder what the point of it is.

I have to compliment Triathlon Ireland though, after I informed them I wouldn't be registering and why, they called me and offered to help try and get a refund of my €360 race entry fees from ITU. Fingers crossed!:)

I hit the pool for 30 mins earlier, and felt better after. All worries wash away when you're swimming!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    Thanks lads- despite any "chesty" excuses I was always going to go and give it what I had on the day. I'm a bit numb now and shocked that Ryanair can just do that- I had checked times and dates booked everything last May. Checked in my flights yesterday afternoon... no excuses offered for the cancelation! I have Travel Insurance but apparently it doesn't pay for Hotels or Race entries if the airline offer you a flight 24 hours later:rolleyes: which makes you wonder what the point of it is.

I have to compliment Triathlon Ireland though, after I informed them I wouldn't be registering and why, they called me and offered to help try and get a refund of my €360 race entry fees from ITU. Fingers crossed!:)

I hit the pool for 30 mins earlier, and felt better after. All worries wash away when you're swimming!
    EC1000 wrote: »

Unbelievable. And on this basis I'd be claiming from Ryanair. Baffles me that they can do this. Boy am I glad I'm booked with Aer Lingus!

Hope the Barcelona crowd from here aren't on Ryanair!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Hope the Barcelona crowd from here aren't on Ryanair!

Went with ryanair as the times and dates suited. A little concerned now....

Unbelievable. And on this basis I'd be claiming from Ryanair. Baffles me that they can do this.

I'm down over €700 in hotel and race fees, and put in a claim to RA via the claim form on their website (read I can claim up to €250). Got an email back, prefaced that it was the opinion of the author, not of RA, and that the opinion of the author may have been changed by someone else before email sent (!); anyway the author wrote ("on behalf of RA") that since I opted for a refund instead of taking tickets the next day, I can PFO and they won't pay any compensation.

I bought the tickets in May, checked in and printed my tickets last Thurs, and flight canceled Thurs night. Can't see what I did wrong here, but I won't make the mistake again of booking anything with RA.

• Advertisement

Fri PM 8k easy run

Sat 15k easy run 5:40/km
    I moved the kids to a new swim club this year (the air quality was very bad at times at the old one), so there's a myriad of new routes to be ran early on a Sat morning from Courtown. This morning's took me out from the harbour along some coastal fields and towards Ardamine, before scooting inland along lonely backroads in glorious late September sunhine. The run finished with some loops in Courtown forest, and thoughts on how to finagle an Aquathon from this route?

Nice way to move on. I just heard its pissing raining and freezing in R'dam, so there's worse places to be ;) Good luck to all out there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    I'm down over €700 in hotel and race fees, and put in a claim to RA via the claim form on their website (read I can claim up to €250). Got an email back, prefaced that it was the opinion of the author, not of RA, and that the opinion of the author may have been changed by someone else before email sent (!); anyway the author wrote ("on behalf of RA") that since I opted for a refund instead of taking tickets the next day, I can PFO and they won't pay any compensation.

I bought the tickets in May, checked in and printed my tickets last Thurs, and flight canceled Thurs night. Can't see what I did wrong here, but I won't make the mistake again of booking anything with RA.

This is Ryanairs standad response to any claim.....they will try and fob you off first ( and second, third, forth time etc) in the hope you will eventually just give up. If you persist you normally get what you are due.....

It might be best to hand this over to one of the many claim sites to do the work for you for a small percentage cut.....

But whatever dont give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

The Ryanair debacle is some omnishambles. Apparently it's been building up for months and they do something about it at the last minute. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/wedding-party-left-stranded-after-ryanair-cancellations-1.3224148

On the flip side it's not a bad thing to not be racing when you're not fully fit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    The Ryanair debacle is some omnishambles. Apparently it's been building up for months and they do something about it at the last minute. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/wedding-party-left-stranded-after-ryanair-cancellations-1.3224148

On the flip side it's not a bad thing to not be racing when you're not fully fit.

And they're only giving about 48 hours notice. So not enough for people to make alternative plans.

Sun 30 mins Fastlane
    Various pace freestyle alternating pb/snorkle/without. Position continues to improve while using the Fastlane.

Mon Masters swim
    200 free
    6x75 free 25s/25k/25fist 10s
    Main set
    1x200 free BE5/7 by 25m 20s
    2x100 IM 15s
    4x50 worst stroke 25k/25d 10s
    Repeat 3 times
    Swim down
    200 choice

I found it difficult to breathe tonight.
    There was some head-scratching to pick "worst stroke"- take your pick from fly, breast, or back!- but I decided the fly was the most pathetic. I had watched some videos showing fly technique, and they proved useful. In a nutshell; press down your chest a few inches, then when you pull it back you push down your hips, with the legs to follow and a good dolphin kick before beginning the stroke again. It seemed to work, in that the fly kicks were better than usual. Its a stroke I'd very much like to master.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Are you done for 2017 or is there anything else planned this year?

Sprint & Olympic for 2018?

pgibbo wrote: »
    Are you done for 2017 or is there anything else planned this year?

Sprint & Olympic for 2018?

I'm entered Moby Dick on 30th Sept, which is meant to be a great swim so I'd like to do it. Otherwise I'll be focussing on swim galas over the winter.

Yes, keeping it short next year again, without any "all-eggs-in-one-basket" main target. Best year I had in Tri was last year, just racing as much as I could, and it was a lot of fun.

Tue 30 mins Fastlane; 65 mins easy turbo

Front crawl, 2*(50/100/150/100/50) strokes, alternating snorkle/snorkle+pb

Wed 45 mins Fastlane; 55 mins easy turbo

Breaststroke drills, courtesy of my new dreamboat Chloe Sutton <3:D

Thurs 400TT 5:45
    200 warmup
    10*25 (sprint 15, 10 easy) 10s
    6*75 as (3*25 BE 3/5/7)
    400TT
    10*75pb (on 1:20, on 1:20 easy +20s)
    200 easy

I wasn't expecting much from the 400TT, had decided on keeping it steady and hitting 6 mins. Beforehand I loaded up on fishermans friends, plus a couple of blasts of the inhaler, which did help with breathing throughout. We have some new members, including a couple of sharks, and a spanking new lane. I went in the middle lane, behind a girl who was targeting under 5:30, so I'd have clear water.
    I usually blow up in 400's, as breathing goes to pot, so I determined to keep the breathing under control at all times, and let that dictate pace. The first 100 was 1:19, a bit too fast but without knocking the lungs out of whack. I kept it steady to 200, starting to hurt but no issues with breathing. My open turns were better than usual (*see below). Started to pick it up from here but I ran into congestion at 325 so had a slow 25 here. I passed at the wall and pushed for the last 50, finished strong but without collapsing at the wall.
    Given the effort, I was surprised to see 5:45, which I think is around my PB. There were a few seconds added due to congestion so I might have hit 5:40. Coming back from illness, and with limited pool swimming, this bodes very well for the next few months. My stroke was much, much better, and my kick and core working well. I put this down to the recent work in the Fastlane. Pretty happy with the results from using it so far.

* I had watched a video on open turns from the great teacher that is Chloe Sutton. Open turns are needed for breast and fly, but are also mandatory in pool triathlons, where tumble turning is banned. The video below is well worth a watch, and I defy anyone not to smile at how she describes the arms during the turn ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nice going on the 400 :cool:

Good video too. Thx for sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Nice swimming Kurt, seems like you went comfortably under the 6 mins. What distance will you target for the masters swimming meets?

joey100 wrote: »
    Nice swimming Kurt, seems like you went comfortably under the 6 mins. What distance will you target for the masters swimming meets?

Cheers Joe, next gala is National SC Champs on 19th Nov. My goal is 50 and 100 free (my PB's are 33s and 1:10; household PB's are 29s and 1:04;)), but I'll probably try a few other strokes too for fun.

Longer term the season target is the National LC Champs in March. They have a 1,500 the evening before the main event, and I'd like to think close to 22mins is a good aim. Looking to hit 1:05 for the 100 free, and if all goes to plan sub-30s for the 50 free.

We have an expanded group in the Masters this year so hopefully we can enter a good few relay teams as well. Should be good fun pushing each other over the next few months ;)

Fri 40 mins Fastlane

2*(50 strokes free, 100, 150, 200), alt snorkle/snorkle+pb

Sat 14.3k run 5:22/km; 35 mins Fastlane
    A damp early run around Tara Hill, chatting pace all the way. Didn't notice the time go by at all.

2*(200 strokes free, 150, 100, 50), alt snorkle/snorkle+pb

Sun 30 mins easy Fastlane; 4 hours hill bike/hike

I took the mountain bike out for the first time in a couple of years, up around the trails on Croghan hill. It was pretty wet on the ground but otherwise sunny and a great day to be out there, at a great time of year.

Mon 60 mins easy turbo; Masters swim

400m warmup
    Main set- (2*100pb pace 10s, 4*50pb MAX 15s)*4
    5*100 as (25k, 25free, 25fist, 25 drill; 10s)

Tonights set couldn't have been more wished for; my legs were pretty sore after the hills yesterday. Added to that, recent breaststroke kick practice has aggravated a groin muscle; so swimming short bursts with the pull boy was the perfect tonic.
    The 50's came in 35/36 seconds each one, tough work but I'm happy enough with those times.

• Advertisement

Tue 35 mins Fastlane; 9.6k steady run 5:40/km

Swim:
    5 mins easy
    10*(50 strokes pb/snorkle, 50 strokes snorkle)
    5 mins easy

Run:
    This seemed a lot tougher than the pace suggests, either down to tree cover or more likely residue in the legs from the weekends climb. There's a nice forest in Courtown with a myriad of routes to choose from, I'll need to start bringing the headtorch though as it was quite dark when I finished.

Wed 45 mins Fastlane

Straight swimming, with no breaks. Its a cold pissy dark evening here, and motivation was zero to drive 45mins to Arklow. Having that Fastlane was made for nights like this.

Thurs 30min Fastlane; Masters swim

200easy
    6*75 as (25k, 25fist, 25 swim, 10s)
    7*200 off 5mins step test
    3:20 (-7, target 3:27), 3:20, 3:13, 3:06, 2:59, 2:54 (+2), 2:50 (+5)
    200easy

We did the step test last year when I went off way too fast. My first tonight was still too fast, its difficult to swim so slow. By the fourth you start to think about the pinch, and the last two were decent efforts. I was disappointed to see my time on the last, I swam very well over the first 100m but couldn't hold it. Pacing is an issue to work on over the next few months.

Fri 45 mins Fastlane

Sat 40 mins Fastlane

Review of 2017:
    Not the best year for racing (or training), I seemed to be out of sorts for a lot of it. Chest and ear issues in particular, which hopefully will be limited as I can control the chlorine in my pool. On that, I also spent a lot of time building it, time taken from training/racing. Is that a good trade? Next year will answer that question.
    The races I did do are below, useful markers for how the year went.
    March:
    Irish Open LC Masters Champs
    1,500 (24:09), 200free (2:47), 100free (1:13), 50free (33s)
    I really enjoyed these Champs. Missed a 1,500 podium by 11 secs, but happy with the time. A little disappointed with the times from the shorter distances; I was found out in the longer pool.
    WW 50k Ultra 6:32
    This un-trained-for race was a box-ticker. Despite getting lost around Glencree, it was a magical trot out to the halfway point- not often you get to ease the effects of a hot sun by shoving fresh snow down your socks! Suffered on the way back, and probably suffered in training for a few weeks after to be honest.

April
    Tinahely Duathlon
    After a dose of anti-b's to shift an ear infection, I opted to bike the relay in this local race. Had bike mechanicals which messed up our time, this was something that should have been noted and fixed before the race.

June
    Valentia Sprint (9th place)
    This was my best race of the year, on a magical day in the Kingdom. I was totally in control of my swim, loved the taste of brine from the get-go, and powered through the waves. I dropped a few places on the bike (lack of specific training), but flogged myself up the hill to the run turnaround and gave it what I had coming back down. Loved this race and can't wait to do it again next year.

July
    Wicklow Harbourman Oly
    From the best race to the worst. After a very solid swim, I managed ok on the bike (had to use my roadie), but overheated and died on the run, had an absolute shocker. It was agony to get round, slowing all the time for a miserable 54 mins. The only good thing was I didn't DNF- had I done so I might have jacked in the season, I was that disappointed.
    Bagnelstown mile swim race (4th place)
    Redemption in a small local race, which I thoroughly enjoyed. A good solid swim with well-paced turnover throughout.
    National Aquathlon Champs (2nd M45)
    I didn't have a great swim, went a bit wide I think, but finished solidly. The run was tough- I can still taste the hurt!- but I pushed it throughout and finished fast, being pushed by a guy trying to overtake for the last km. I held him off and felt this run was redemption for Wicklow.
    Tullow Parkrun 5k 20:02
    In the drive to improve my running speed I gave this local 5k a shot. Sat on the leaders shoulder for 3k until I made the rookie error of overtaking him and not putting in distance... sure enough he nipped past on a tight corner with 600m to go and I backed down. Pleased enough with the time though.

August
    Loughrea Sprint 1:12:56
    A solid race throughout, decent swim, ok bike, and a decent run. No complaints, but no champagne either.
    IMRA Nav Challenge (17.6k in 2:11)
    A great day in the hills, frantically searching for routes, shortcuts; weighing advantages. Doing great till the last control lost me a lot of time, but as ever a fine day to spend a Sunday morning.

September
    Rotterdam ITU AG Champs, DNS
    The goal race of the year just wasn't meant to be, a severe chest infection curtailing training in the last month. Then my flight was cancelled at short notice... I wouldn't have been in honest shape for it anyway.

Overall
    Generally a disappointing year race-wise, there's a fair amount of disappointment and one stand out race (Valentia). My preparation could have been a lot better and I think I entered Rotterdam as an end season goal, but didn't give that goal the respect it needed. However, my swimming has improved, my bike is ok (needs more dedication and turbo-hurt, though), and my running has improved a lot. I'm injury-free, finished a major project in the backyard pool, and so I've plenty to look forward to next year. My focus over the winter switches to the pool, there's a gala mid-Nov I'd like to hit some PB's at, and the National LC Champs next March are a major goal.
    I'm not going to aim for anything specific next year in Triathlon, just better preparation with the goal to enjoy training and racing. New day tomorrow, new log, onwards and upwards :)

Advertisement