Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric Revues

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Mon Masters Swim 3,750m
    Warm up 👻
    200 free
    10x50 25 IMO/ 25 free 10s
    Main set 💥
    All free
    4x50 on 45
    4x50 on 1:00
    3x50 on 40
    3x50 on 1:00
    2x50 on 35
    2x50 on 1:00
    1x50 on 30
    1x50 on 2:00
    Repeat 3 times
    Swim down
    250m pb hypoxic as 10x25 BE 3,2,1,0,0,0,0,1,2,3

A good session to do after spending the weekend watching sprints. I never quite managed the 50 on 30 (best was 33), and times were drifting to 38s on the third set... but it was a decent set which requires good form along with power. After seeing how Junior has come on with power, I think I'll introduce some weight training into my schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

What weights would you be doing Kurt? I've started to do a little since I got the cabin, hard to know if there's any difference yet but I def feel better for it. I'm just using light enough free weights, some body weight stuff and then some of them elastic strap exercises. Around 3/4 25 mins sessions a week. Easily added in and can't seem it doing much harm.

joey100 wrote: »
    What weights would you be doing Kurt? I've started to do a little since I got the cabin, hard to know if there's any difference yet but I def feel better for it. I'm just using light enough free weights, some body weight stuff and then some of them elastic strap exercises. Around 3/4 25 mins sessions a week. Easily added in and can't seem it doing much harm.

Junior has been doing a few free weights on his bench press a few times a day. Nothing too heavy (I'm well aware of growing bones) but they have helped his upper body strength, which has helped a lot with swimming technique. I'd aim for something similar, resistance through reps rather than aiming for heavy numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

(.....TRX.....TRX....TRX.....) ;)

Tue 60min treadmill hill repeats, 30 mins exercise bike high cadence low resistance (>105rpm, <50W)

With the dark evenings its handy to hit the gym while the kids are swimming. The one good thing about the treadmill is you can work on good form in a controlled environment.

Wed 10k steady run 48:30
    This was up along the forest trails, on a fantastic crisp November evening. It's night like this that I realise just how lucky I am to live in my area. A fantastic pink sky as the sun set beyond Mount Leinster.
    I forgot the inhaler today and so struggled a little when I upped the pace. Nothing too bad though, this was the first of a winters worth of runs I'll do on this course, to map progress on where my steady pace is at.
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    (.....TRX.....TRX....TRX.....) ;)
    (can't help but hear all chants as "build-a-wall...build-a-wall..." or "hill-R-eee...hill-R-eee...". Could you write in TRX as your vote? A non-sentient suspension training system would be a better choice than tweedledum and tweedledee)

I'll look into TRX- for the moment I'm just doing simple body-resistance stuff like pressups and planks. I'll need to get a program to follow though- can't be half-arsed when it comes to core work!

• Advertisement

Hillary may not be the pick of the litter, but Trump is f*cking nuts. :eek:

Hillary may not be the pick of the litter, but Trump is f*cking nuts. :eek:

Its entertainment at this stage, probably has been since Reagan to be honest. If TRX won the presidency, 99% of the System would continue to function. My moneys on the Don, and I loath the guy!

Thurs Masters swim
    warm up
    200 free
    10x50 free 25 kick/ 25 fist 10s
    Main 10x100 on 1:30 to fail (ie if you swim the 4th in 1:33 then stop)

Aaaargh... tough set that stamps a great big "Fail" on your forehead in all likelihood. I got to 6, the 7th was in 1:33, had to stop. Feel like a great big f*cking failing Failure right now. Vote "GBFFF" next week folks, and give a voice to the working man.

If Trump wins, I may be cashing in on my Irish citizenship and moving over yonder with y'all. !!!!!!!!!

If Trump wins, I may be cashing in on my Irish citizenship and moving over yonder with y'all. !!!!!!!!!

You'd be more than welcome- we have an honest country full of noble and dutious public servants with an honourable tradition of intellectual discourse.

DannyHealyRae1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Where'd you get that photo of Interested :)

• Advertisement

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Where'd you get that photo of Interested :)

I see he's got his "happy" face on. ;)

Fri 2 hours easy turbo

Sat 16.85k easy run 5:26min/km

On this fine evening I visited Annagh Hill to partake in some of her lower trails. Some elevation was partly taken, also. The sun drew back from the valley as I journed; days like this are made for long slow runs.

Sun 85k bike

A smashing morning to be out, this was a mostly backroads route which included plenty of short sharp hills. Home-Tinahely-Knockananna-Knockanannagin-Donard-Baltinglass-Kiltegan-Hacketstown-Tinahely-home. A decent size gang od decent skins, plenty of chat throughout which is what you want of a long ride. The long Sunday spins were lacking from my schedule last year- I need to keep the focus on them over the winter.

Mon 5k easy run; Masters swim

200m warmup
    25*50 with one arm belted to side, as
    5*50 left arm free
    5*50 right arm free
    5*50 both arms free
    5*50 left arm free
    5*50 right arm free
    5*50 free fast off 1:30
    400m swim down

This was hard! I swallowed half the pool the first few I did, until I worked out that slowing down and working with the water was the way to go. Still, it wasn't especially graceful. The limited stroke really made you focus on balance, and that came from a steady kick.
    Once the belt was off, we let loose on the fast 50's. Swimming with real purpose, each came in just under 35s. Coach told me after 4 that my upper body was all fine, but I was let down by my kick. So I engaged a good kick for the last and hit 33s. I'd like to get that under 30s by March for a gala. Might be doable with a dive start.

Tue 60mins treadmill run, 10 min rowing machine

You belted your arm to your side???? :eek:

You belted your arm to your side???? :eek:

Yes- and it really forced the drill! Tried it once without the belt and it was amazing just how much the "limp" arm cheated to aid movement

Wed 1,500m swim
    Mainly work with paddles

Thurs 60 min easy run
    Around the dark streets of Arklow. My night vision has gone to pot, and today I got the news that I didn't get an Art O'Neill Challenge spot. Ah well. No-one in the club did either, so plans are afoot for a group run on a different January night to the race.

Fri 1:30 turbo

I need to work with power again, so spent yesterday evening transferring my cranks from TT to roadie. Every time I do something with the bike its as though I'm a mechanical novice- thank grud for youtube videos. Finally got it changed, I still need to tinker with the front derailleur, but it seems to be working fine.

I kept things easy enough, with just 4 5-min sections of BG mashing. I can keep a decent wattage while mashing, all over 250W without much effort. Thats just okay as a figure, but its a start for the winter turbo season.

Sat 19.2k long run 1:48
    I took in a long, hilly run from Arklow thus morning. Up towards Avoca, turn along the scenic back roads up around Barnisky and get a fix from the sunlit sea. Down down down to the rugby club, and follow on along the coast as a fillup for tired legs.

It really felt like a fix, a hit, and I'm going to work on chasing that hit more often.

Sun 2 hr bike spin

A good solid trip from Tinahely-Shillelagh-Clonegal-Bunclody-Carnew-home. Sombre November lay across the countryside; as a soft river of cloud weighing lightly on Mount Leinster, in the dewy pond-green meadows, or in the last rust-coloured leaves still clinging their intimate volume throughout the trees.

• Advertisement

Sun pm 4k easy run

In the forest at sunset, with Poochie McPoochface. He's a great lad to run with, we hit some uphill trails and he pulled me right up them, he's just so much power. A bonus of the wonderful sunset too, spoiled for running at the moment so I am.

Mon 45 mins turbo

10 EZ
    5*(30s build, 30s EZ)
    4*(4 min BG, 1 min EZ)
    5*(15s sprint, 45s EZ)
    5 EZ

Back on the turbo with the PM for the winter. These sessions keep you very honest, and probably gave the biggest gains to last years races. If I can mirror last years winter turbo sessions, and improve on the run, it'll be set up for a great 2017.

Since its been a while, and I haven't yet done an FTP test, my target for the BG was 270W+ (in 277, 270, 269, 284). It's a start, but I know theres a lot more in the tank.

Mon pm 2,850m Masters swim
    10*50 IMO
    2*200 free on 4, target 2:45 (actual 2:46, 2:46)
    2*200 on 3:45 target 3:00 (actual 2:51, 2:49)
    2*200 on 3:30 target 3:15 (actual 3:17, 3:12)
    2*200 on 3:45 target 3:00 (actual 3:05, 3:06)
    2*200 on 4 target 2:45 (actual 3:03, 3:06)
    250 hypoxic BE 3,2,1,0,0,0,0,1,2,3
    50 easy

Tough session! Its one I'd like to try again- its disappointing that the last few were so off target. Probably overcooked those too-fast 3rd and 4th reps. Still, swimming 2:50-ish without it being balls out is progress.

Tue 70 min easy turbo 150W; 10k easy run 5:30 pace

Finished the run with a super-moonlit run along Arklow bay, classic :)

Another ear infection has me missing training- this one has got progressively worse over the past couple of weeks (yes, I know). Doc today put me on Ciprofloxacin which should take care of it, but a side effect is it may cause swelling or tearing of a tendon, especially the achilles tendon. Exacerbated with any steroid use (my inhaler), so I'll have to go easy when I do start again.

I've had a fair amount of annoying illnesses the past couple of years. Looks like I'll have to work on prevention rather than cure.

Sun 1:40 easy turbo, 173W

I've just been doing walks, strength work, and some weights for the past few days. The ear infection is clearing up, but I'm not too happy about the amount of antibiotics required over the past couple of years. My body gets too run down than it should be getting. I've cleaned up my diet a lot in the past 4 months or so, having reached an age where "you are what you eat" is relevant. Training is going well; its second nature at this stage and is a normal part of life. Work stress is a possible culprit for getting run down- my job means long hours and a lot of responsibility. That won't change, but how I deal with stress will have to change (stress can be a real killer).

Part of this log is reviewing what worked over the past few years, and I was never running better than when I trained for marathons. I've no real interest in them now (find Tri more exciting), but weight loss is important so I've decided to review the last real marathon I ran, Rotterdam 2010. I won't be aiming for sub 3 this time (time is secondary to preparing for the Tri season), but it will act as a focus. Plus I can recce the route of the ITU AG world champs, my real goal next September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Does that mean you are running Rotterdam Marathon in April?

zico10 wrote: »
    Does that mean you are running Rotterdam Marathon in April?

Yeah, race/flights/hotel booked. I f***ed it up last time I was there, never happy with the result, so want to try it again. I'll train towards sub-3, but weight loss and Tri running are the important goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Do you think training towards sub 3 is advisable? You've had quite a few run injuries the last couple of seasons. That coupled with the fact that your run times are a good bit off sub 3, surely you'd be asking to get injured by training towards sub 3 if it's not a target and tri is the real goal?

I don't intend getting injured! I made good run progress last time I trained towards sub3, that's the goal over the winter. The marathon is just a stepping stone to the tri season, using some of what worked before into the training schedule. I've no real target for R'dam but I enjoyed the experience last time (up to 25k!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

I've been contemplating a late spring marathon myself but I'd be looking at 3.30 target time and even at that I'm worried about injury. It's an age thing with me, when things break in your 40's they take a long time to fix again.

Advertisement