Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric Revues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    I don't intend getting injured! I made good run progress last time I trained towards sub3, that's the goal over the winter. The marathon is just a stepping stone to the tri season, using some of what worked before into the training schedule. I've no real target for R'dam but I enjoyed the experience last time (up to 25k!)

Show me someone that does intend to get injured ;) Bí cúramach :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Mon 5k easy run; 50 mins turbo

Easy run in the forest, through the rain (or in the rain, through the forest). I had just come from the doc, the ear infection is clearing up nicely but I have to stay out of the water again this week. 4:51/km

10 mins EZ
    5*(30s build, 30s EZ)
    15*(min on, min off) (on ranged from 304-325W)
    5 EZ

These hard minutes felt a nice sort of tough, that sweet spot where you are pushing hard enough to count down the seconds, but not quite so hard that the gaps between each second seem an eternity. That will come in later weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Yeah, race/flights/hotel booked. I f***ed it up last time I was there, never happy with the result, so want to try it again. I'll train towards sub-3, but weight loss and Tri running are the important goals.

Good stuff, very similar to my plans. I'm going there myself. The loser can buy the first round, deal?

zico10 wrote: »
    Good stuff, very similar to my plans. I'm going there myself. The loser can buy the first round, deal?

You'll have a thirsty wait, but its a deal ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

zico10 wrote: »

Jaysus, it's the place to be this April
    I'm booked too and have nailed my flag to the mast for sub-3 at the 18th attempt

• Advertisement

Jaysus, it's the place to be this April
    I'm booked too and have nailed my flag to the mast for sub-3 at the 18th attempt

Nice one! Have you ran it before? Its very well organised, easy to get to, and set up for fast times. The sheer flatness of it can be an issue, as you're using the same muscle groups for 42k. Strictly no undulation at all!

I usually run 2hrs most Saturdays in Arklow, if you're every looking for company throughout the winter. Early start 8:00 from the Coral pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

No, never ran in Holland before but I've a few friends in Amsterdam and the wife has wanted to go back for a few years. We were there briefly on a stopover to the Florence marathon but didn't get much in. I work there a good bit so it's old hat to me.
    I'm following a Hanson's plan so probably won't hit 2 hours until early February. That alone scares me, I'm a Daniel's student so a long run of less than 22 miles is an alien concept
    Based on the plan, I'd be running it at 4:30-4:45 per km for a long run if that works with your plans on the day

Tue 12k run 5:04/km

Out around the sodium lit streets and estates of Arklow. It's odd running on dark concrete paths; not the most enjoyable method of ambulatation, but needs must.

Wed 50mins easy turbo, 5k easy run

I tried to spin faster than usual, put it in a very easy gear and set off... but it is very hard to do, 78rpm average at 163W for the 50 mins. Ah well, masher it is.

Followed by a late jog on the roads, running at dusk adds a lot to the joy of it.

Thurs 14.4k run 5min/km

Along the Railway walk, into the forest, and down by the river along some new trails. Magic, there was a crisp sunlight in the cold air, the trees were golden, pheasants running everywhere. For a while I was running in upstate New York, very apt for the day thats in it. We celebrate Thanksgiving each year, when I lived in the States I preferred it as a holiday to Xmas. I had taken two frozen quails out to defrost before I left, we'd have then this evening for dinner. The cat had other ideas however, and while I was upstate my cat was devouring one of the quails. She looked well fed by the time I got home. Anyone got a hunting rifle?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

ah don't use a bullet on a mangy cat, waste of a good bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Thurs We celebrate Thanksgiving each year

Does this mean you still celebrate Thanksgiving?? Did you celebrate it today? If so, what did you have for your big dinner??? :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Does this mean you still celebrate Thanksgiving?? Did you celebrate it today? If so, what did you have for your big dinner??? :)

A small pheasant and a rubber chicken. And me in the doghouse because of the cat. Stupid cats, they are only in it for themselves. No training manners into them. Give me a dog any day of the week.

Fri 1:55 turbo
    East spinning while watching the very dumb Total Recall remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

1.55 on the turbo, would you not have stayed on and got it to the 2 hours???

joey100 wrote: »
    1.55 on the turbo, would you not have stayed on and got it to the 2 hours???

Ha, it was actually just over 1:56- there was a little OCD that willed me on but it was an incredibly dumb movie and once it ended, I ended!

1.56 and a bit...... your just making it worse now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

griffin100 wrote: »
    I've been contemplating a late spring marathon myself but I'd be looking at 3.30 target time and even at that I'm worried about injury. It's an age thing with me, when things break in your 40's they take a long time to fix again.

.....and as expected........Grade 1-2 hamstring tear after my ten mile run last weekend, made worse by my usual manly approach of ignoring pain and training through :mad: If I had cat I'd kick it :D

1.56 and a bit...... your just making it worse now.

I just did another 3:36, bringing it up to a round 2:00:00 ;)

griffin100 wrote: »
    .....and as expected........Grade 1-2 hamstring tear after my ten mile run last weekend, made worse by my usual manly approach of ignoring pain and training through :mad: If I had cat I'd kick it :D

Ah crap, very sorry to hear that. Hope you're back on the horse soon.

Injury prevention is what its all about for aged gentlemen like ourselves. In my case, core work, stretching, diet, very easy long run, and most importantly treating every niggle with kid gloves. Otherwise the golf course beckons.

Kick a f*cking cat anyway, the bastards.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    A small pheasant and a rubber chicken. And me in the doghouse because of the cat. Stupid cats, they are only in it for themselves. No training manners into them. Give me a dog any day of the week.

Duh. I think I was jacked up on too much tryptophan and sugar to follow what you were saying!! And personally, I think the cat was pretty resourceful and bold. I'd say that feline is on the pointy end of the food chain!!! ;) Happy (belated) Thanksgiving. :)

• Advertisement

Sat 21k easy run 5:25/km pace

A frosty start to this mornings run, out along the coast watching for the sun to peek over the horizon. Its a magical time of the day, pre-dawn, and very good for the soul to be out and about. I kept the pace down, and plodded along till the turnaround. Coming back I saw a helicopter searching the coastline for the body of the poor fisherman who went overboard ten days ago, RIP. On a morning like today's there's just the elemental land, sea, and air; and gratitude to be topside of this mortal coil.

Sun Courtown Indoor Tri

The format for this was 750m in the pool; then take your time changing clothes; 16k on an exercise bike; change shorts; 4k run on treadmill. T1 and T2 didn't count for time so could be a leisurely few minutes.

Swim 15:15 (1:38/100m)
    I hadn't swam in a couple of weeks, and the warm up showed my lack of pool time would hurt. It felt as though I forgot how to swim, my stroke was all over the place. The race itself started, I had a lane to myself, went off at 1:20/100m pace but that soon slowed. By halfway I was swimming over 1:40/100m pace. It wasn't 100% effort, but not too far off. Swim fitness really falls away quickly, and this 750m showed I have a lot of catching up to do. My garmin had been set to beep every 1:33, that was my target pace, so to be so far off it is a little sobering.

Bike 22:32
    Started off at 400W for a minute, then down to 350W for another minute, before settling on 320W until after halfway. Its hard to gauge effort on an exercise bike, but it felt tough enough. Cadence was around 100rpm throughout. After halfway I upped the effort from 330-340-350-360-370-400 every minute or so, and finished pretty spent.

Run 15:57
    Set the treddie to 4:11/km pace for the first km, then to 3:53/km for the rest. I was hurting at halfway, just a matter of counting down the seconds to the end. The effort was tough enough, I wanted to hit that big red stop button throughout the last 6 minutes, but kept it up and was happy to finish under 4min/km pace overall.

A bit of fun today, something different, and a much needed shot in the arm of "racing" adrenaline. I had butterflies beforehand, elated afterwards- thats the drug I was after so all in all this junkie is happy :) A decent way to get a fix in November.

Sounds like a lot of fun!!! Well done! What was your breathing pattern on the swim?? :)

Same as always- BE3/4 for the first 100 then move to BE2 (with an immediate slowdown!). Something to work on over the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Did you mean 12:15 for the swim?

Mon 60mins easy turbo; 2,100m Masters swim

200 warmup
    10*50 as 25k, 25fist, 5s
    400m TT (6:04)
    250m swim down
    300m hypoxic BE 3,2,1,0,0,0,0,1,2,3
    250m various easy

Coach asked me what time I was aiming for, I said 6 mins- if looks could kill...! The TT was a similar story to yesterday's swim, I went off too fast and died as it went on. My pacing gland needs rejuiceification, I'm all over the place at the moment. That's what a couple of dry weeks does to a lad. It can only get better from here.

Tue 55 min FTP test

10 EZ
    5*(30s build, 30s EZ)
    5 TT (328W)
    10 EZ
    20 TT (295W)
    5 EZ

The first FTP test of the block, and I was dreading it. Nothing odd there, you should always dread them! My turbo is in the office and I had a clear morning but kept finding work to do- in reality just putting off the inevitable. At noon I said enough, and started the test. The 5min TT was tough, initially over 340W but drifting a little, to finish with an honest 328W average. Ten much needed minutes of spinning, and on to the main test. By two minutes in I was doing calculations and counting down "A tenth done...". I resolved to stop when I reached six minutes, but this is a test of mind as much as body, and I kept the figures north of 300W and more importantly kept going. After halfway I changed the gearing for 30s at a time, to give bit of a break. This caused some easing of the numbers, but the effort still felt intense. The last four minutes felt very slow in passing, but pass they did and I finished into the release of five easy minutes catching breath.

Overall 295W, first 10/last 10 as 301W/289W. Using a 0.92 multiplier that gives an FTP of 265 for the start of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

You're a sucker for punishment. Tests 2 days in a row!!! :)

Nice work. How does it compare to this time last year?

Well done Kurt, I'll have one coming up soon myself too. I've been putting it off as well, except where you were looking to clean your office I've been putting it off for weeks!

How does that number compare to last year? (Edit--snap P!) Looks pretty well paced too, I find though that too much changing the gear is nearly a bad thing, body doesn't get time to settle at the cadence and the loss of power from the initial chain move can bring the power down.

Are you heading to Rotterdam next year? I was planning on heading over to watch the ITU grand final but half thinking now of entering the race seen as I'll be over there anyway. One of the lads in the club has been to a few and says they are worth doing. How did you find your last one?

(Another edit-- you raced on Sunday, swim tested yesterday and then bike test today??, I hope there is no run test planned for tomorrow!)

• Advertisement

Cheers lads. The day is much sweeter this side of an FTP test! I have figures from my last FTP test written on my office whiteboard, FTP=270, so not too far off. Changing gearing wasn't ideal but it helped to break up the mental side of things.

Are you heading to Rotterdam next year? I was planning on heading over to watch the ITU grand final but half thinking now of entering the race seen as I'll be over there anyway. One of the lads in the club has been to a few and says they are worth doing. How did you find your last one?

(Another edit-- you raced on Sunday, swim tested yesterday and then bike test today??, I hope there is no run test planned for tomorrow!)

All roads lead to R'dam ITU AG in Sept next year. At the moment I'm undecided between the Sprint or Oly, but will probably do the longer one. I really enjoyed the last one I did (2015 in Geneva), and I reckon its IM razzmatazz for the shorter distances. Well worth experiencing, and you'll be up against very good competition (no matter what anyone says!). R'dam is very easy and cheap to get to as well, I'd recommend entering. If you're over there anyway you'll kick yourself for not racing!

(No run test planned! I had this FTP scheduled, but last nights swim test was a bolt from the blue. Coach wasn't happy with me though so I've a feeling I'll be doing it again on Thursday ;))

Advertisement