Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric Revues

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Thurs 8k run

I fell into bed at 2:30 last night, reeking of beer and wine. Thankfully the Catholic system pickled my brain at a young age in their particular soup of guilt, remorse, purge, and absolution.

8k trail run and 3 Hail Marys.
    Go in Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

happy chrimbo kurt..

UM1 wrote: »
    happy chrimbo kurt..

You too Anto- may Santy be good to you and yours. Hopefully see you at some races next year ;)

Sun 1:30 turbo 170W av

Thats worth 923 KCal, not a drop in today's ocean ;)

Brand new stripy socks from Santa. Happy Xmas everyone!

Mon 18k run, made up of:

3.6k @ 5:30 pace warm-up
    The idea here was to gently re-enter the world of the living.

7.6k @ 4.44
    Along the trails and backroads to the Dying Cow pub. There is no better finish line in all of Christendom, and the final hill is a suitable prelude to the mulled wine and porter that await above. Great fun, and lovely to see and chat with so many friends.

7k @ 6 min pace
    Always a challenge, running back against the light, with limited locomotor apparatus function. The headtorch went off for a while. It seemed like a good idea at the time; always risky when running cross country. Thankfully, I seemed to get away with it ;)

• Advertisement

Tue 2:15 easy turbo 183W

The turbo is great this time of year, just hop on and go, no messing around with winter clothing. A rather large downside is no road handling skills- I've just seen the bike route for my 2017 goal race and its looking quite technical, lots of hairpin turns. Specific practice will be needed, as the course is likely to be congested with numerous waves.

Wed 5k easy run

Doggie fartlek style- Ted took off like the clappers for the first km or so, then it was a mixture of stride, stop & sniff, sprint. Good fun.

Thurs 4,500m swim
    Just plain old fashioned distance for the first 3k or so, and some 100 and 200s to make up the rest. My form was failing towards the end (1:43 average pace overall), to be expected since I've done little in the pool lately. That'll change from January.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Hope you had a great christmas Kurt, when will the pool be open for business?

joey100 wrote: »
    Hope you had a great christmas Kurt, when will the pool be open for business?

Hopefully we'll break ground on the extension in January. It will probably be a few months after that before we'll have a cover built for the pool itself, and then install and the fun begins!

• Advertisement

Sun 3:00 easy turbo 170W av

Gradually easing up the power each hour (157W, 174, 180). I pulled something in my back a few days ago so have rested it since- it's starting to feel better now, and there were no issues on this turbo.

Mon 3,050m swim; 60 min turbo

450 free
    400 paddles
    5*100 paddles
    5*100 free
    5*100 paddles
    5*100 free
    200 warm down

I felt sluggish in the water this morning. Had the first lane battle of 2017; doing paddles in a free lane and a very slow breaststroker entered and swam into me on the return. Naturally he had chosen my lane to enter, instead of the lane next door with the other slow breaststroker... No bones broken, I waited at the wall and asked if he would swim clockwise so we won't crash, no problem says he, off I go and sure enough he swims straight into me again on the return! Ah well, this is to be expected in early January pool swimming! :D

Turbo was 30 mins easy (168W) and 30 mins tempo (209W). The sweat faucet was turned on, I'll be upping the effort on the turbo from here on.

HOTW- I had targeted this race and was halfway through entering before I decided to boycott it. €90.95 is far too much of a price jump, and it smacks of gouging since they are one of the few NS Oly races. I'd have preferred them to get rid of the "goodie" bag that everyone raves about. Each to their own though, there's plenty of other good races around that I'll support.

Tue 10.2k Hillbrook loop; 45min easy turbo 164W

This is a nice loop, my stable "tester" and its always been a useful gauge over the years. There are a few hills involved, and I felt the Xmas pudding going up them, but otherwise not a bad run for the first in a while. No real back issues, which was the main test.

I tried to change my breathing throughout; usually I breath by moving my chest, when I think its better to move your belly.

Wed 3,000m swim; 45min easy turbo

400m swim
    400m paddles
    12*100 alt swim/paddles
    1,000 drills/hypoxic

That sluggish feeling is a while in shifting, the water feels like an alien environment at the moment. Hopefully tomorrows session will include fast work, I find thats best for getting back in the groove.

Thurs 2,700m Masters swim

Warm up
    4x150 (50 swim/25 scull drill/50 swim/25 streamline kick on ur back) 15 rest
    12x50 10s rest
    1x50 (one arm with kickboard drill - right arm)
    1x50 (one arm with kickboard drill - left arm)
    1x50 (one arm with kickboard drill - 25 right 25 left)
    1x50 concentrating on high elbow 25 right 25 left)
    Repeat 2 times

Main set
    4x75 (80% hard) 10s
    2x50 easy 25 Tarzan drill/ 25 swim
    4x25 kick with board fast /15s
    1x100 easy swim 30s
    Repeat 3 times

There was a lot of kicking tonight- it was very tough. The "warm up" was tougher than the main set! Took us about 80 mins to complete the whole set.

Fri 4,500m swim

250 warm up (1:42/100 pace)
    4*1000 Gerry Rodrigues set;
    4x250 pb, snorkel (20s rest) (70, 75, 80, 85%)
    10x100 as fast as you can with 3s to 7s rest (85-88% effort)
    2x500 pull with snorkel and band with 30s rest at 75% focus on form
    10x100 swim 30 to 60s rest at 90% effort

The first set of snorkle felt strange; its been a while. But certainly useful for balance (and hand placement, and shoulder rotation).
    The 10*100 were all in around 1:30-1:36, I found them tough enough. The skills "learned" from the previous snorkle were useful though, and I was streamlining better than normal.
    The next set of snorkle were also useful.
    And the last set of 100's were done on tired arms, in a lane that had become congested, but I managed them in around 1:30-1:39. Again, streamline seemed better than normal.

Its definitely a set I'll do again, I found it very useful.

Sat 17k easy run 5:23/km pace

It was dark when I started, rumblings of daylight visible from Wales. Arklow looks finest at this time of day. Running felt slightly awkward as I went out along the coast road, a couple of hard day's swimming still in the body. The pace itself was fine, keeping it slow and easy throughout the run.

Sun 3 hours easy turbo

Upping the effort slightly each hour, (159W, 180W, 197W).

Mon 3,000 Masters swim

Warm up
    8x75 25 swim 25 kick 25 fist 10s
    (Odds free/ evens choice no free)
    Main set (20x100)
    2x100 free on 1:30
    1x100 I/M easy 15s rest
    2x100 free on 1:25
    1x100 back easy 15s rest
    2x100 free on 1:20
    1x100 breast easy 15s rest
    2x100 free on 1:15
    1x100 free easy 15s rest
    2x100 free on 1:20
    1x100 breast 15s rest
    2x100 free on 1:25
    1x100 back 15s rest
    2x100 free on 1:30
    Swim down
    150 choice
    250 hypoxic 3,2,1,0,0,0,0,1,2,3/breaths per length

This was a tad aspirational, didn't manage to get anywhere near 1:15 pace, through a mixture of congestion and inability. The fastest 100's were around 1:20-1:22 or so. Positives from the set were better rotation and pull, and the relative ease at hitting 1:25's.

Tue 45 mins turbo

10 EZ 168W
    5*(30s build, 30s EZ)
    10*(min hard, min EZ) (335, 340, 353, 346, 344, 351, 348, 348, 352, 357)
    10 min EZ 168W

These were an absolute killer to get through. The final 15s of each rep just draggg-e-ee-e-dd-d-d oooo-n--nn-nn ff-o-or-r-everrrr-r-rr-r.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    the relative ease at hitting 1:25's.

Well that's progress since I last checked in here. Nice going. Is that your CSS pace? A 22 swim at Rotterdam will have you out in the hunt!

Well that's progress since I last checked in here. Nice going. Is that your CSS pace? A 22 swim at Rotterdam will have you out in the hunt!

I wish! CSS is probably closer to 1:35 at the moment, but good things are happening and I hope to make a breakthrough of sorts over the next couple of months. 22 wetsuit swim would be a nice target!

Wed 3,000m swim
    A very early start to be at the pool by 6am, I had bank duty for kids swimming. Luckily I was relieved after 45 mins so got a nice hour in myself. 6*500 (free; pb; paddle&pb; sailboat; pb; mix). Its been a while since I swam that early and it sets you up nicely for the day ahead.

Thurs Master swim 3,000m

Main set
    1x200 free hard on 3mins
    1x100 free easy 30sec rest
    Repeat 10 times
    I had a very busy day today, going from meeting to meeting, and only managed to make this session by the skin of my teeth. No time for warm-up, straight into swimming. Recent work on my streamline was put into practice- a slightly higher kick and longer reach helps matters. I managed each of the reps just under 3:00 until the last two, when I began cramping, and so in 3:10 each. Otherwise this was a good solid set.

Fri 10k run

12 mins easy
    10*(min 3:45/km pace, min easy)
    16 min easy

A cold fresh January day, snow capped hills surrounding. The fast mins went well- my breathing is so much better these days, the asthma seems to be under control. Perhaps it may help that I'm trying to breath from the belly rather than the chest? Whatever, it works, and running is much the better for it.

PM 3,500m swim

250m warmup
    4*250m snorkle ascending effort
    10*100m off 1:45 5s rest
    2*500m snorkle&pb 70% effort
    250 swim down

My shoulder hurt, a combination of recent increase in volume, and a new extension and reach. So the effort was kept down, and I made sure the set was technical in nature.

Sat 3:15 easy turbo 172W av

Watching "Whiplash" (good movie) and "The Big Short" (average movie).

Getting these long weekend turbo's into the schedule is a major change from last year, when I'd skip them more often than not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Fri 10k run

12 mins easy
    10*(min 3:45/km pace, min easy)
    16 min easy

A cold fresh January day, snow capped hills surrounding. The fast mins went well- my breathing is so much better these days, the asthma seems to be under control. Perhaps it may help that I'm trying to breath from the belly rather than the chest? Whatever, it works, and running is much the better for it.

Deep breathing definitely helps. The best thing I have found for it is wearing a scarf over my mouth when running, warms up the air before it gets to your lungs. Never had any real problems since I started doing that.

Sun Nothing

Well, if 13 hours in the NAC can be called "nothing"... The transfer of power continues, Junior swam 29.5 for 50 free, while Missy took chunks off her BS pb's.
    It was a graded gala, and kids get a coloured wristband according to the results of their finish time. I was on a desk for a couple of hours handing out these bands, and the excitement was great to see! From the little girls coming to the desk 5 times asking "are the 50 girls breaststroke results out yet?", to the 17-year olds who made Grade 1 trying to look cool about getting the coveted red band :) Kudos to whoever in Swim Ireland came up with the idea, rewards participation while also rewarding success.

Mon 18.3k run 5:28 pace

Even though I had my sneakers poised to sneak away for a sneaki run from the NAC yesterday, it wasn't to be, so I got it in today at lunch. Up around some Annagh trails- it really is magical once you get up there and are rewarded with splendid views. The run itself was a real tonic, I enjoyed it immensely. You can't beat a bit of hill running for feeling the soul. Kept the pace easy and felt comfortable throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Sun Nothing

Well, if 13 hours in the NAC can be called "nothing"... The transfer of power continues, Junior swam 29.5 for 50 free, while Missy took chunks off her BS pb's.
    It was a graded gala, and kids get a coloured wristband according to the results of their finish time. I was on a desk for a couple of hours handing out these bands, and the excitement was great to see! From the little girls coming to the desk 5 times asking "are the 50 girls breaststroke results out yet?", to the 17-year olds who made Grade 1 trying to look cool about getting the coveted red band :) Kudos to whoever in Swim Ireland came up with the idea, rewards participation while also rewarding success.

Didn't see you up there yesterday, I too did the full 12hrs with a couple of hours of timing duty. My lads enjoyed it. Now that my 12 year old daughter can cover a 100 IM as fast as I can do 100 free and my 11 year old son is outright faster over 50 and 100m free than I am it might be time to retire ;).

The band idea is genius. The kids get visible recognition for making grades which spurs them on. It's a definite improvement on the old graded medal system.

griffin100 wrote: »
    Didn't see you up there yesterday, I too did the full 12hrs with a couple of hours of timing duty. My lads enjoyed it. Now that my 12 year old daughter can cover a 100 IM as fast as I can do 100 free and my 11 year old son is outright faster over 50 and 100m free than I am it might be time to retire ;).

The band idea is genius. The kids get visible recognition for making grades which spurs them on. It's a definite improvement on the old graded medal system.

Sorry I missed you there. Yeah, its amazing to see kids doing IM or breast so much faster than we'd do free!

I was talking to your new head coach yesterday; you might consider waterpolo before retiring? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

I'd love to give water polo a go. Must have a chat with him and see.

Advertisement