Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric Revues

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

griffin100 wrote: »
    I'd love to give water polo a go. Must have a chat with him and see.

He'd bite the arm off you. He's always looking to get lads into water polo, in fact he's looking to set up a Masters water polo group, or training sessions, mentioned it to me yesterday.

Mon PM 3,300 Masters swim

Warm up
    400 free
    12x25 choice kick Dec 1-4 15s
    Main set
    6x400
    1x350 free/30s/1x50 fav hard 10s
    1x300 free/30s/2x50 fav hard 10s
    1x250 free/30s/3x50 fav hard 10s
    1x200 free/30s/4x50 fav hard 10s
    1x150 free/30/5x50 fav hard 10s
    1x100 free/30s/6x50 fav hard 10s
    200 choice swim down

This was a tough anaerobic session that really got the heart pumping. Started around 36s for the first 50's, drifting to 43s for the final sets. Emphasis throughout was on kick, and it was during the will-to-live-sapping 5x50 set that I finally realised just what a kick is, as everything came together and I cruised on top of the water. It only took me four years.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    ... and it was during the will-to-live-sapping 5x50 set that I finally realised just what a kick is, as everything came together and I cruised on top of the water. It only took me four years.

Some day...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

RJM85 wrote: »
    Some day...

I thought I had a decent kick (and associated body position) until I recently tore my hamstring and had to do all my swimming with a pull buoy. Finding I was much faster with a pull you than without put that fallacy to rest.

Tue 45 min turbo

10 EZ
    5*(30s build, 30s EZ)
    12*(min hard, min EZ)
    5 min EZ

12 hard were 271W, 296, 302, 313, 303, 311, 312, 309, 320, 324, 320, 338

I wasn't feeling the love for todays session, still a bit battered from last night. However, once the first couple of reps were done, things seemed to improve, and I got through the set nicely. Not quite as high power as last weeks version, but given how I felt at the start I think that was the smarter thing to do.

PM 6k recovery run 6:02/km
    This was the slowest I've run for a while, deliberately keeping the pace way down, simple enjoyable recovery stuff.

Wed 6k steady run 4:25/km av

I was pushed for time this lunchhour so just squeezed in a sprightly 6k. The trails were quite soft (while not quite muddy), and for some reason I felt like I was running with lead shoes. Like in one of those dreams where you try running but just can't seem to pick up the pace. Thats the story of my life really ;)

• Advertisement

Thurs Masters swim

200swim
    200kick
    200drill

Main:
    5*(50 hard, 50 drill, 20s rest)
    50 on 45s
    50 on 40
    50 on 45
    50 on 35
    50 on 1:00
    100 EZ
    Repeat twice

Had to bail just towards the end, couldn't breath (ventilation issues tonight). Hit the 35's though. I'm a decent sprinter.

Fri 60 mins turbo

10 EZ
    45 Tempo (c.225W)
    5 EZ

Later in the day I whacked my foot into a panel, the little toe ended up pointing out at an awkward angle. I can still move it and its not super sore to walk on, so hopefully not dislocated. Seems straighter now, but no running for a while.

Mon 45 min turbo; 1,000m swim

Ah I'm falling to pieces. My toe was strapped and rested at the weekend, while I tried to convince myself a 45˚angle was normal. Tried an easy turbo today and it passed the test, but no so much at swimming tonight where it was obvious in all its ghastly glory. I'll have to see a podiatrist tomorrow. And I was reminded today that R'dam is 11 weeks away...

Need a new set of lungs too, we had a 100m TT tonight but there are ventilation issues at the pool so I had to stop after 75m, just couldn't breathe. Tried it again after 5 mins, same old story. A frustrating day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Catch you for a beer in Rotterdam at some point.

Catch you for a beer in Rotterdam at some point.

At some point...;-)Find yourself a nice pub and wait... And wait...

I was chatting to a guy last night at swimming who is doing Rotterdam too... He looked at my wonky toe (and swimmers girth) and asked if I was going for the inline skates race ;)

TUE 33 mins easy run
    I went to the doc today who said nothing broken, just badly bruised and a wonky toe. Chanced a run tonight, 5:30 pace and besides feeling a little sore no complaints.

• Advertisement

Wed Nothing, busy at work and foot was sore.

Thurs 1:45 easy turbo; Masters swim

200 free warm up

100 free TT (1:12.4). Done solo, I was left standing like a statue in the blocks though :rolleyes: Thought I paced the first 50 slow but it was 33s, and died a bit breathing on the 3rd 25, coming home with bad form. Says something about year-on-year gains though, that I'm bitterly disappointed with 1:12.

1x150 free hard 10s
    1x150 free k/d/f/s....5s
    1x125 free hard 10s
    1x125 choice k/d/f/s...5s
    1x100 free hard 10s
    1x100 free k/d/f/s....5s
    1x75 free hard 10s
    1x75 choice k/d/f 5s
    1x50 free hard 10s
    1x50 choice k/d 5s
    1x25 free hard 10s
    1x25 choice k 5s

5*25 as BE 3,5,7,9,null
    repeat twice

5*25 as swim 5 underwater, 20 swim; 10u,15s;15u,10s;20u,5s;25u
    repeat twice

I managed the last 25 underwater, thought my lungs would explode by halfway!

Fri 10k steady run

Busy at work all day, but managed to get in a nice 10k. Garmin borkified after 2k but a handy enough pace.

Since the toe is hurting, I'm considering skipping Rotterdam- it would only be a piss up for me anyway, and I reckon I'd be disappointed with any pissup. My default mental state is to sit at the same table as zico and krusty, but my physical state (and later arrival time) has me firmly at the fat joggers table. I reckon it will be a lonely conversation about chunky shoes and craft Heino beers after MCI jogs.

While I'm on this cranky bent, I might skip the R'dam ITU AG champs; a lot of money (€360 entry) for a draft sprint. That money could be better spent having fun in Irish races.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

If you keep running on it, how do you expect your toe to get better? Seems you're doing a test run every second or third day to check how it is. Adding to that, I'll say 10k is a long way to be running with an injury. It would be far wiser to spend an hour on the bike or a cross trainer. When you do feel ready to run again, I wouldn't chance anything longer 30 minutes twice a week. There'd be nothing wrong with walking for 5 minutes in the middle of them runs either. Go find grass, run on that. This is all common sense advice that I'd expect to have to give to a total newbie, and you must have heard it a thousand times before.

You've still over two months left until the marathon, which is a lot of time to heal. I found myself in a very similar situation last summer. I was a lot closer to IM Mallorca last year and I was still doing 50% of my "runs" on a cross trainer. I was worried I wasn't doing enough volume, but I don't think I lost any fitness in the end. One step backwards, two steps forwards was the right approach.

Basically, don't write off your chances of making the start line so far out. And I'm not sure I'll be worthy to sit at Krusty's table either, so spare a seat at the fat joggers table for me.

You're right of course. I'm being cranky about the marathon mostly because the run training (and weight loss) was the real goal, not the race itself. The toe injury is strange, its not broken, but still swollen and there may be ligament damage. Doc said it will heal in its own time. I did a 12k easy run this morning, including some on grass, its not stopping me from running but is a bit sore after. I probably should take your advice and switch to more turbos.

Just reread that. "Probably"- I'm my own worst enemy... need to get smarter.

Sat 12k easy run

Very easy trot by the harbour, to the Rock, and around the gold course; the finest route Arklow has to offer and at that time of morning its fantastic. No real toe pain during the run, still swollen though. Afterwards I watched the kids swim- so many of them coughing, some had to finish early, the air was horrible to breathe. My own lungs are still sore after last Monday, so I'm switching to another pool in Courtown from this week. I don't think it has as many "swimmer" lanes but we'll see how it goes.

Sun 3:00 easy turbo

Easy 3 hours spinning. I woke up just too late to make the club spin at 9am, but as the cold dank rain rolled in, I was more than happy watching it from the comfort of my turbo.

I cancelled my flights to Rotterdam marathon, I was entered mainly to increase run training, and if I have to limit that for a couple of weeks there is no benefit to going really.

Ditto the ITU AG Champs, I haven't fully decided but I'm unlikely to travel given the bloody huge entry fee- €380/360 for an Oly/Sprint is just crazy, that would pay for a whole summer of great races in Ireland.

So I was looking for a summer "event", and when I saw a message about Hardman entry for under €200... never say never, I guess. Whether its a target race or not, I think I'll really enjoy the course, and the increased training volume required will help my shorter races.

By the way if anyone fancies taking my Rotterdam entry, they can do so for €5 name change cost plus a small donation to charity (message me if interested)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I cancelled my flights to Rotterdam marathon, I was entered mainly to increase run training, and if I have to limit that for a couple of weeks there is no benefit to going really.

Ditto the ITU AG Champs, I haven't fully decided but I'm unlikely to travel given the bloody huge entry fee- €380/360 for an Oly/Sprint is just crazy, that would pay for a whole summer of great races in Ireland.

So I was looking for a summer "event", and when I saw a message about Hardman entry for under €200... never say never, I guess. Whether its a target race or not, I think I'll really enjoy the course, and the increased training volume required will help my shorter races.

My money is on an Achilles rupture.
    Any takers?

tunney wrote: »
    My money is on an Achilles rupture.
    Any takers?

Just the one? Thought you were a gamblin man?

Mon 45 min easy turbo; 2,800 Masters swim

Warm up
    200 free
    6x75 choice k/d/s 10s
    Main set
    1x200 free hard on 3:15 (15-20s rest)
    2x100 easy 20s rest
    (1st 100 IM)
    (2nd 100 free)
    Repeat 6 times

I chanced the pool tonight, figured I'd give it another shot before bailing. In the event breathing was easier- I think its as simple as slowing the sets. If I want to do MAX 50's I'll have to use another facility, but tonight these 200's felt great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Hardman will be some test Kurt. Not to be sniffed at indeed.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Hardman will be some test Kurt. Not to be sniffed at indeed.

Yeah, its a box to tick rather than a true goal. My aim is to get a good swim and bike. The run is four laps on trail and if I feel any problems just bail. Shorter races are still the focus for the summer, but I always enjoyed the "elemental" nature of Griffins reports for Hardman. Think I'd enjoy it more than a bells and whistles IM event.

Tue 10k steady run, 45 mins easy turbo.

Decent enough run in the forest (no watch), followed by an easy turbo while watching Countdown (a show I've enjoyed since the days of twice-nightly Whiteley).

Somehow Susie Dent and turbo pain are a good match.

Wed 45 min steady turbo

An easy day today, I want lungs, legs, and limbs in tiptop shape for a big swim test tomorrow, 7*200 descending off 5mins, which doesn't seem like much, but if done correctly (pace!) it will be a good indicator for how I swim in summer races.

Thurs Masters swim

400m warmup
    7*200m on 5:00

I had been looking forward to this 200m Step Test. The idea is you do each within 5 mins, getting faster by 7sec each one, and ending with your 200PB. I was feeling good so aimed to break 2:40 for the last, meaning they were scheduled in 3:21, 3:14, 3:07, 3:00, 2:53, 2:46, 2:39. The first few were bang on, had to concentrate on pacing. 3:00 felt fine, like I was cruising. My stroke was good and I was moving through the water very well. 2:53 came in on the nose, again it was pinching a little but it was very controlled. Alas breathing issues stopped the last two- I was on target at 100m but just couldn't take in any air. Tried the last one but I only managed 40m before I stopped, gasping.

Positives are that I am swimming well, and can knock out 1:30 pace with ease. My body felt good and strong for the 2:53. That must be the limit of exertive pace for me in this pool though; anything faster and I'm over the threshold for breathing. So long as I know what the limiter is, I'll move to another pool fo fast work.

91+kg at the beginning of Feb. There's no point continuing to post here unless I do something about that, so I'm going dark for a while. See you when I get under 87.

Peace & f*cking. Believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

91+kg at the beginning of Feb. There's no point continuing to post here unless I do something about that, so I'm going dark for a while. See you when I get under 87.

Peace & f*cking. Believe.

Being fat in February isn't necessarily a problem

Track daily and keep the focus on. 4kg is nothing.

You've put on some muscle clearly, don't be taking it the wrong way.

Are you feeling good? Free of any niggles? Looking forward to training?

If yes to all 3 then rock on, fellow Countdown fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Better to concentrate on body composition than total weight. Monitors aren't that expensive and could help you to only beat yourself up about important stuff.

Advertisement