Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric Revues

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

87.1kg... close enough, lets start logging again.

Sun Feb 5th 3 hr turbo
    Alternated every 30 mins with higher cadence... this generally led to lower power, especially towards the end (dark room and I couldn't see the watch figures so spinning on feel).

Mon 6th 10k steady run 4:52
    Railway walk and forest
    1 hour swim
    Tonight we did lots of drills
    Pull buoy
    Board for kicking
    Fins
    Etc
    Etc
    The pool air was terrible tonight, I bailed early

Tue?

Wed?

Thurs 9th
    Swim... I forget the session but it included a 200m TT, for which I got 2:40 (new PB). If the pool air is ok, I can swim well. If it's not, I seize up after 75m or so. Tonight it was fantastic (they backfilled a third fresh water a few days back).

Fri 10th ?

Sat 11th 2 hr hill run: up around Annagh's trails, offroad through trees and frozen mud for some of it, snow flurries and cold winds along the ridge, and week-old footprints from Slogger Jogger going uphill. Decent stride length, that lad ;)

Sun 12th 2 hours turbo, 2 hours forest walk. Guess which one was more enjoyable?

Mon 13th: 8k run (5k build, 3k fartlek). I'm managing a better stride and form these days, and being able to breath again is proving very useful.

Pm: Warm up
    400 free (B.E.3)
    Main set
    1x200 free pull buoy (hard) 20s
    2x100 free (no pull buoy) easy 20s
    Repeat 6 times
    Swim down
    200 choice
    I'm swimming a lot better these days, my stroke has come on in every department. Still a lot of work to do on my kick though, as these fast 200pb were close to my all-out pb (each in between 2:42-2:55).

Tue 14th Feb
    45 min turbo
    10 EZ
    8@240W
    4 EZ
    6@260W
    3EZ
    4@280W
    2EZ
    2@300W
    1EZ
    6 Spin Down

10k run easy

Wed 15th
    200m warm up
    4*250snorkle
    10*100pb off 1:45 in <1:35
    500m snorkle
    5*100 snorkle & pb
    50 back

thurs 16th: 40 min gym
    Swim:
    200wu
    8*50 (25k, 25sw, 10s rest)
    5*100 max off 5 mins

Only got one 100 done before bailing, couldn't breathe after 50m. Started very well, died a bit towards the end. 1:14

Fri 17th ?

Sat 18th
    8.4 k, including some done on track as:
    4*(100m fast, 100m easy)
    4*(200 fast, 200 easy)
    1*(400 fast, 400 easy)
    2*(200 fast, 200 easy)
    4*(100m fast, 100m easy)

Sun 19th ?

Mon 20th
    Masters
    Warm up
    1x100 free 15s
    2x50 free kick 10s
    4x25 free build 10s
    Repeat 3 times
    Main set
    10x200 free pace on 3:20
    (Should rest more than 20s, not 5,10 or 15s).
    Swim down
    200 choice

Felt good for the 200's, I alternated lead with Alex, all in around 3:00. Had to bail halfway through the 5th with breathing but continued the rest with pb.

Tue 21st
    14k run up around the Rock at twilight. It was dark by the time I exited, just made it back to streetlamps in time. Mod pace 5/km

Wed 22nd
    Swim
    200m warmup
    4*250 snorkle
    10*100 mixed snorkle, pb, paddles, swim
    500m snorkle & pb
    5*100 snorkle & pb
    250 hypoxic

1:30 easy turbo

Thurs 23th
    11.4k easy run (Arklow Rock)
    Hour swim, kick drills, diving practice

Fri 24th
    3hrs turbo

Sat 25th nada NAC with kid A

Sun 26th NAC with kid B... 20 mins easy turbo that evening but I was wrecked.

Mon 27th
    40 mins fartlek; 60 mins masters (400wu, 8*(25k, 25fist,25swim), 5*(50pb,50k,50pb,50swim 90%fast) 200sd. Struggled to breathe (ditto fartlek earlier)

Tue 28th
    50 min turbo; 13k run 1:10
    10 EZ
    5*(30s build, 30s EZ)
    10*(1min 360W+, 1min EZ)
    5 EZ
    5*(30s 360W+, 30s EZ)
    5 EZ

The ten hard minutes were 383,371,374,371,360,363,367,360,354,360.

This felt very tough- during the third I resolved to stop halfway; during the 5th I said I'd get one more, then make it to 8, then another lie to 9, and by that stage sure I may as well get the last one done. There is an obvious drop-off in effort as the numbers show, but mentally they got harder to do as they went on, so that's a benefit. Probably the hardest I've worked in a good while!

Nice evening run up around the Rock on a very windy fresh twilight.

And thats me up to date!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Nice to have you back Kurt

Neady83 wrote: »
    Nice to have you back Kurt

Thanks Neady! I'm like a bad penny :)

Wed 4,500m swim

400 Wu
    4*250 snorkel
    10*100 pb
    2*500 snorkel
    10*100 pb, sailboat
    100 swim down

Missy got moved up a lane so we have entered the world of 5am alarm calls for 6am swims. The club have 3 lanes and the rest of the pool is free for club parents... This might just be the start of something beautiful!
    The focus today was on rotation, specifically engaging the core to help with same. I've the Irish Open masters championship to look forward to this weekend, I'm entered in the 1,500 and 50,100,200free. Should be good fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭griffin100

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    Thanks Neady! I'm like a bad penny :)

Wed 4,500m swim

400 Wu
    4*250 snorkel
    10*100 pb
    2*500 snorkel
    10*100 pb, sailboat
    100 swim down

Missy got moved up a lane so we have entered the world of 5am alarm calls for 6am swims. The club have 3 lanes and the rest of the pool is free for club parents... This might just be the start of something beautiful!
    The focus today was on rotation, specifically engaging the core to help with same. I've the Irish Open masters championship to look forward to this weekend, I'm entered in the 1,500 and 50,100,200free. Should be good fun.

I'm in the 4.30am alarm call twice a week zone at the minute to be on deck at 5.20am. Sometimes I wish the kids had picked a different hobby :rolleyes: That said it'd be a hell of a lot easier if I could swim when they're training. This should be a nice way of multi tasking, training and spending time with kids (you'll also swim / try swim a lot harder when the 12 year olds doing kick drills in the next lane start overtaking you :pac:)

Thurs 60 mins swim

400 wu
    8*(25k, 25dr, 25sw) 10s
    Remainder diving practice.

Lots to learn about a good dive. I managed to introduce some improvements tonight- bot hard when the base was so low! We did two timed 25's, I got 14.7 for both. Pretty disappointed with that, I would have wanted 13.x. But the coach pointed out some mistakes I was making, which hopefully I can eliminate before this weekend.

Fri AM 50 min swim
    Very easy, drills and sculls, with more dive practice. Everything was a lot better today, just have to remember what to do for the actual races now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

griffin100 wrote: »
    .... (you'll also swim / try swim a lot harder when the 12 year olds doing kick drills in the next lane start overtaking you :pac:)
    LOL oh the memories

Fri PM 1,500 (24:09)

I drove down to Limerick, had a nap at the hotel, and registered for that evenings race. After watching my teammates in couple of heats, it was time to step onto the blocks. My goal was around 23mins, although with it being LC I was wary of being able to hold 1:32 pace for the whole race. The most important thing was to hold it steady in the first half, as all too often I blast off and then die. I had a decent start, and settled into a rhythm. There were no wall clocks, and pace devices weren't allowed, so my usual crutch of being able to watch the numbers wasn't available. This was a bigger handicap than I anticipated. The "lengths to go" were counted for us at the end of the far wall, so we knew when we had 21,19,17,etc. lengths remaining. There was also an electronic scoreboard which flashed up our time as we hit the wall, and through sheer luck it was above my lane so I could sneak a glance- this took a bit of effort so I only managed to spy my time at halfway- think it was about 11:35, which was bang on target. However, I was feeling the effort, mentally fighting a DNF... no harm in this as it shows you are working hard. I had to drop the pace a bit, concentrating on getting as much as I could from my stroke. It was during the second half that I stopped tumbling, and opted for the slight breather a touch turn provides. The last few hundred metres seemed to take forever, and I was very happy to finish exhausted in 24:09. This is above my target, and is a 1:36/100 pace, but given that its LC thats not too far off my goal so I was happy enough with the time.

Results were posted the following morning, and I came an annoying fourth in my AG- missed out on bronze medal by 11 seconds. I'm pretty philosophical about that, and will use that anger to remind me that continuing to tumble turn would have meant a medal. That's my takeaway from this race, which hopefully will be more productive than the bronze. (Silver linings and all that! :))

Sat 200free, 100free, 50free

200 free (2:46)
    No idea of splits right now. I had a good dive, kept things going well for the first 50. It hurt- a lot!- from 50-150, and the thing to do is fight against the growing mental thoughts to slow down. The last 50 is hard, as it should be... but the 50m length just goes on for ever! I'm happy enough with the time, while not being over the moon with it. Think I came 5th in my AG.

100 free (1:13)
    A similar story for the 100- decent dive, hit the wall in 34.4, but died a little coming home... it felt like an eternity to hit the halfway point on the return, and a world of pain for the final 25. Gave it what I had on the day, so I'm happy enough about that.

50 free (33)
    I was aiming for 31, so I'm a little disappointed with the finish time. This race was the one time my dive was off- I went too low and so lost vital momentum. First breath came around 20m, and it was just a matter of burning up the muscles from there until the end. I finished spent, and as there was nothing more to wring out I'm happy enough. My son does this LC in 29.6 though, so I'm going back to him for advice from here on. He reckons I need to bench press more... he has a point!

Overall:
    This was a hugely enjoyable weekend, and great to travel as a team and follow each others progress. I'm hooked, and its probably fair to say I'll continue towards swimming as my bias in triathlon. My times were a little slower than expected- the extra push-off in a 25 metre pool was certainly missed. The effort from the 1,500 probably showed a little the next day, as my arms/shoulders were tired all day and just didn't have that extra "ooomph". Overall I felt I was fighting the water rather than flowing with it, and from watching the faster heats, its obvious I have a lot to learn regarding technique. Nevertheless, I come away from these Champs happy, and eager to learn more and get faster for the next ones. Short course champs are in the NAC next November, and thats a date I'll etch into the calendar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

That's some impressive swimming!!

so I only managed to spy my time at halfway- think it was about 11:35, which was bang on target.

Just saw the results, in fact I reached halfway in 11:55... and was swimming a steady 1:36-1:38 pace per 100m throughout. Food for thought... while I was going "easy" in the first half, and pushed in the second, perhaps going off more aggressively r would have yielded a better finish. Or of course it may have yielded a total blow up! :D

Sun 1:34 easy turbo
    Body feels good, shoulders and arms don't seem too bad, and I would have loved to get back in the pool again today, but a turbo sufficed to get the blood flowing again.

• Advertisement

Mon 2,850 Masters swim

400 as (25k,25sw,25fist,25sw)
    5*400 descending (PB+45s; +35; +25; +15s; +5s)
    450 swim down

The body was beat tonight, no doubt about it but the weekends efforts have caught up. The first few 400's were fine, but I blew up over the last two (times were 6:14, 6:16, 6:09, 6:05, 6:18). I was dragging a tired body round the pool, at least I had my familiar 25m push-offs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭joey100

Well done in the masters champs Kurt, some great times there!

On your idea of going out hard in the 1500m, maybe in the 50/100/200m that might work but I think you know what would happen in the 1500m, could turn into a long hard swim! Sounds like you paced it well to me.

joey100 wrote: »
    On your idea of going out hard in the 1500m, maybe in the 50/100/200m that might work but I think you know what would happen in the 1500m, could turn into a long hard swim! Sounds like you paced it well to me.

I'm always blowing up halfway in swim races so i didn't want that to happen... it was well-paced in that I was thinking about quitting from half-way! So I guess thats the real yardstick to judge by.

Wed 12k easy run 5:18/km
    Thurs 1:30 easy turbo (164W)

I've had a very sore ear infection since the weekend, so forced to take it easy for a few days and will skip the pool for a bit.

Fri 3 hour easy turbo 165W

Spinning for volume, the ear is still very sore and I don't want any intensity until its better. Ear plugs from here on.

Sat & Sun Gala parent/taxi duty; 8k run 4:51 pace
    I'm a great father, hence limited training. This is the only reason I don't win triathlons ;)

Mon 60 mins Masters swim
    Main was 4*(25Max,75 easy, 10s; 25easy,25Max,50 EZ, 10s; 50EZ,25Max,25EZ,10s;75EZ,25Max,30s)

First time back swimming in a week and my form had gone to pot, all over the gaff. I was swimming second-from-last and soon got a polite tap asking if I could let a brother through... deserved it really.

Tue 13k run 5:21
    The Rock loop in Arklow, form/effort was wavering throughout. Quite a strange feeling.

Wed 3,200m swim; 11.4k run at 5:11 pace
    The alarm went at 4:30am and we somnombulated (Oryx would have liked that word) into Arklow for our morning swim. Snorkle, drills, pb, for me; proper killer free/back/fly/breast sets for the proper swimmer. Then school & work, hopefully with a pep in the step for both.
    Lunchtime I met Mick for an easy ("Mick can you dial it back a bit there...") trot along the Spring infested forest. Glorious day, and good to run with company. Part of our conversation had to do with injury... we both know far too many injured mates who are stuck on the sidelines. At this stage just being able to run/bike/swim is a blessing; everything competitive after that is the bonus. Thankfully I heard last night my mate Kirk is coming back from a very long and painful back injury (there but for the grace of god...). Injury prevention is very important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Thankfully I heard last night my mate Kirk is coming back from a very long and painful back injury

Yes, saw him Friday. Just taking it easy (as he lapped me over and over again:o)

(as he lapped me over and over again:o)

FFS- he's his own worst enemy! :D

"Walking round the block" = 5k steady pace, sure I'll keep going for 10k
    "Easing back with a slow 10k bike" = 10k to a hill, feel good so do the hill (Croghan); meaning a 30k round trip
    "Cooling the legs in the sea" = doing fly in wetsuit through crashing waves

Madman! I totally understand where he's coming from though, nothing worse than being sidelined with injury, and when you start to come back the urge is to make up for lost time.

Thurs 13k run 4:40 pace

My ear infection is back after yesterdays swim... I'm pretty annoyed about that. 5 different types of ear plugs have now been purchased and I'll leave the pool a few days. So I missed tonights session, and instead took my anger out on The Rock in Arklow, on a great fresh evening to be running. I pushed the pace faster than usual, and got in a decent effort running up and around the hill. Afterwards I was much happier, a good solid run can work wonders. My running is going better than it has in quite some time.

Fri Nothing

Sat 25k easy run 5:40 pace
    The kids Saturday swim has moved an hour earlier, which means an earlier start... and now a three hour window for me, so I can extend my runs a little. It was wet and windy this morning, I started off very slow up towards Barniskey hill and trudged along its backroads. No real view as the mist and drizzle obscured all but the immediate topography, but thats fine too. "Time on your feet" was the order of the day, and it wasn't until I hit Redcross and begun the descent back to sea level that the pace showed any semblance of respectability.

Thats the longest I've ran in a while, and it didn't seem too bad at all. If you stay at a comfortable pace you can run forever.

Sun 3 hour turbo 159W

Another Sunday, another turbo. I'll get outside from here on, the long bikes are easier endured in the countryside.

• Advertisement

Tue 10k run

No idea of time, the pace was kept steady. A nice flat Arklow run to the end of the quarry harbour, and back. It was one of those wild dusky romantic evenings, that could have been late November, or a deep sultry June... full clouds cottonpatterned across the sea to Wales, with a salmon pink sun forcing through to the north. The wind whipping around, trying to keep the last of the evening light fresh...

As I was trying to keep my legs fresh. A taper of sorts, I've the Maurice Mullins Ultra on this weekend. A sub 6-hour plod is the minor goal; fat from the belly feeding the soul is the major goal.

Sounds like a suitably awesome 10km this evening Kurt. Just looked up the Maurice Mullins Ultra, nice looking route and the weather is looking good too - I'll be interested to hear about it when you're done. I'm always jealous that I live so far away from the fun in the Wicklow mountains.

Sounds like a suitably 10km this evening Kurt. Just looked up the Maurice Mullins Ultra, nice looking route and the weather is looking good too - I'll be interested to hear about it when you're done. I'm always jealous that I live so far away from the fun in the Wicklow mountains.

My goal is to live (and swim) by the sea, but for the moment I'm happy living at the foot of this Mountain range- so many different trails, its a runners paradise, and I'd say you'd love it Neady! When I'm on my deathbed, I'll remember the first time I kissed my wife, all of my kids happy moments, and every time I summited a hill ;)

I've ran the ultra course a couple of years back (and a bit further), while less fit than I am now. Slow and keep fueling, thats the secret! It's a nice route, plenty of up-and-down to keep you interested. The fact that it ends at a pub was a major draw ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Best of luck with it. Sounds great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

"I've ran the ultra course a couple of years back (and a bit further)"
    Still waiting to see the garmin proof for that ;) something about a broken watch :P

Best of luck. Weather is favourable at least.

Cheers Paul & Mick.

Weather is looking perfect for a few hours in the Wicklow hills alright. The aim is 3hrs there, 3+hrs back. Anything quicker and I will be overstepping current training and into injury territory, and injury prevention is half the battle at my (st)age.

Now for the science: five bottles of nice IPA tonight will provide the precise level of carb loading needed. I have purchased some haribo for my pocket, and a snickers bar for 40k mark. The snickers bar will be lucky to survive the drive to race start ;)

Sounds like perfect pre race prep :) can't wait for the blow by blow account. Enjoy every minute :)

Sat WWUltra 53.4k in 6:32
    Enjoy every minute :)

Eh... I don't think I can say I enjoyed every minute! :D

This was a no pressure box-ticking exercise. The goal was to run the 50k no faster than 6 hours, and more importantly to remain uninjured. I started with a faster clubmate, and ran the first few km with him- too fast a pace, I let him off and dropped down a bit. It was a glorious sunny day- but a lot hotter than I'd like really. For the first part, things were going well, I was feeling good, and ran well within myself until I missed a turn to the Glencree river... ah crap, I ended up looking for little yellow men all over the place before retracing my steps, added about 3 k and a lot of waster time- not really what you want to do in a 50k race!

Anyway, back on track, ran well up past Glendalough waterfall (an improbable perfect viewpoint), and down to the Dargle river. This was where things got a little slippy... I read the imra forum and road shoes were mentioned as being fine. I opted for my Nike Free's, which have absolutely no lugs, just a sole flatter than a pancake at a Creationist science meeting... I slipped and spilled all over the place! In the end I had to hike through heather just to get some traction up the hill and cross the mudbath along a snowy Djouce shoulder. By now I was feeling the heat, and stuffed some snow dowm my socks- heaven! I fell hard in a few places here, but ran well once on the boardwalk, and down to the turn point.

My halfway time was about 3 hours, and I was feeling good. This included my "detour", so I was confident of getting home around 6 hours. However, an Ultra is something you need to train for, and I was all too aware I was winging it from this stage. I walked for several of the steeper parts on the return to Djouce, and was all too aware of overheating- water wasn't really sitting well. I didn't like the return Djouce section at all, slipping all over the place and starting to feel that on tired legs. Crossing the Dargle bridge again, and trudged up the steep bank. Running back past Glendalough didn't feel great, my feet were hurting and I felt very hot. Once at the feed station at Crone I glugged several cool glasses of water- and immediately proceeded to spew them back up. Not being able to digest water is a sign of overheating (I think), so I resolved to err on the side of caution for the remainder.

Crossed the marathon point just under 5 hours, but this is where I broke. The remaining 11k took over one and a half hours- this included the nightmare climb to Prince Williams Seat, a never-ending trudge up the hot crushed stone trail. Eventually I hit the granite steps, and cursed every leg lift. Finally, finally, the summit and long descent, which I jogged as best I could. I hit the road for the last couple of km and was glad to finish (to put it mildly)!

So I ticked that WWUltra box, glad that I did, but not an exercise I'll be repeating soon. I'm too heavy for Ultras (PeterX offered me a hand to stand back up at the finish, and he had to call on all of his superpowers to lift me- good upper body strength Peter, you really should try Triathlon ;)), and I don't think I have the type of mind to enjoy them. Negatives for the day were rookie mistakes from someone who has paid little attention to running for the past few years- poor footwear choice; no nipple guards (ouch!); I didn't know what a bag drop was so carried my own fuel (500m of sports drink, two jellies and a small mars bar); and I guess most importantly of all I didn't train for the race :D

Overall though, I'm sure I'll be happy about the event once the pain wears off. IMRA are a great bunch of people, and this was a superb course with some great views. Best of all, snow down your socks feels absolutely fantastic- who knew? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Great day for it. Too great and warm in fact. Fair play to your tenacity for hanging on in there. Next time (:)) a recce in one direction at least should be the pre-requisite. As you say, the last thing you need is extra distance in a race like this. Enjoy the post-race wine, beer and other guilt-free calory laden goodies.

Worth noting that the winner took an extra 15 mins on the homeward 25k so the heat of the day was definitely a factor through the field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭griffin100

Bang goes the theory that wisdom comes with age ;) Sounds like a nice day out, hope the body recovers quickly.

Advertisement