Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road to Tokyo 2020 - Irish Olympic News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,822 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

We've had a fair bit of bad luck in the boxing. Michaela Walsh and Aoife O'Rourke had terrible draws and then Aidan Walsh getting injured.

Still high hopes for Kellie though.....she was always our best prospect in the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

Has a very good chance, Bronze in the World Champs and Gold in the Europeans in 2018 seems to be in good form scoring joint highest in the qualifications i think.

Kurt was very unlucky he won that 2nd round fairly handily imo but it went 3-2 3rd round was a bit of a mess always up against it when he lost first round 5-0.

Wasn't too impressed by the American but did enough by coming out strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,822 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

She looks a cut above every other Irish boxer - she's the only one about who you'd say a bronze medal would nearly be a disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Jeez - the Aiden Walsh thing, on top of Puspure getting sick last week - we are not a lucky country when it comes to the Olympics.

Lowry well out of it in the golf, McIlroy hanging in there but looks a long shot for a medal at this stage - just so much competition for the medals there.

I think Kurt Walker was let down a bit by his corner - if he had attacked from the first bell rather than being so stand offish in the first round he'd have won a medal. It was obviously a tactical decision, but a wrong one. Billy Walsh the big winner in that one.

"Super Sunday" looking a bit of a disaster so far, it's probably all going to come down to McClenaghan later in the morning for a medal today.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't say McIlroy is a long shot by any means pretty much one shot off a medal but anyone's game as the course seems relatively easy for all of them only the very odd bogey. He'll be kicking himself for his Day One left a lot of birdies on the course.

Agree on Kurt, too cautious altogether in the first, American didn't do much after but didn't need to either after getting the 5-0

• Registered Users Posts: 32,991 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Still incredibly tight in golf...McIlroy 1 off tie for 3rd and 2 off tie for 2nd..thru 12...Lowry too far back

Oh and Schauffele 3 clear and looking good for gold

What a round from Sabbatini deserving of a medal

Mad stuff...he is currently -10...for the day!

Getting juicy now few dropped shots creeping in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭peek a boo

That was a sensational round. I was half awake following it but did I hear that his wife is his caddy? Rory still in contention but going to need some magic in the remaining holes. What a brave performance from Eilish Flanagan in the steeplechase! She took nearly SIX seconds off her PB 🙂

HUGE mistake from Xander there gonna be a fun ending.

Birdie for McIlroy....in three way tie for third....thru 14

Xander could be looking at a double bogey here easily

edit : Ah ffs Rory just did the same thing pretty much.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭peek a boo

Wohoo!

Edit: if there’s a tie for 3rd would there be a playoff?

Xander has rightly fucked this i'd say gonna be hard to come back from this.

Rory looking at bogey at least too id say, pity 😥

Matsuyama looking pretty good for a birdie.

This is terrific stuff

Yeah Xander in real real bother...

Disappointing for McIlroy he has been so steady

Yeah hopefully can pick up a few birdies to close probably need at least 2 to medal

McIlroy made bogey...still only 1 behind the medal fight...

• Advertisement

I'd say you are right but I think 17 in particular has been pretty kind in coverage I have watched

It has been the same story all week, he has always been just a shot or two back from where he needs to be. A big finish on the last three holes might rescue something but it remains a long shot. Matsuyama has holes in hand also.

Poor tee shot for McIlroy on 16 also. I think that's that. All on McClenaghan for today as I feared.

Not looking great on 16 for McIlroy balls... short.

McIlroy will save par I would say...but yeah looks like he will run out of holes :(

Xander will take a knock from that...but still tied for the lead with Sabbatini...still at least he has holes left to play

Matsuyama boogie....

McIlroy decent birdie chance on 17...

If he had another 72 holes he still wouldn't win a medal. Should be one of the very best in the world but continues to underperform relative to his potential ability as he has done for years now.

And just as I say that he has given himself one final, final chance. If he could birdie 18, he could still maybe sneak something.

He is in a tie for third, he is having a decent round.

Matsuyama still has 17 which I would fancy him to maybe birdie. So yeah probably needs to birdie last.

He is so frustrating to watch, always seems to be on edge of the main action. Plays well recently when pressure is off.

But he is giving it a go today!

Matsuyama misses birdie put on 16....

• Advertisement

Fairly long birdie put on 18 for McIlroy. .I'd say will need it.. Matsuyama still has to play 17 and could birdie

Advertisement