Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indo: 'outrage' over cyclists not using bike lane

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Basil3 wrote: »
    I understand that. I think my attitude is completely blown out of proportion. I'm not pro or anti cycling. I'm pro free-flowing traffic, and anti accidents.

For a simple example, lets say a cyclist wants to get between A and B, and have the option of using the roads, or using a cycle path which is a fantastic surface, doesn't cross any side streets, and doesn't require the cyclist to go up any kerbs. In fact, it's a perfect straight run through. The cyclist chooses to use the road, for whatever reason.

If I were to question this, the responses I would get would range from 'because there are issues with the cycle lane that you don't know about', to 'because it's their legal right'. I think that attitude stinks, but hey ho.

I could give actual examples of things I see in certain locations when I'm commuting, but to be honest....this drains me :p

Hi there, Mr Strawman, nice to meet you again :D

Chuchote wrote: »
    Hi there, Mr Strawman, nice to meet you again :D

Hardly Strawman. It's the entire basis of my argument, tied in with the actual topic of the thread.

In any case, glad I entertained you. I'm out :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I could give actual examples of things I see in certain locations when I'm commuting, but to be honest....this drains me :p
    you falter at the final hurdle - actual proof (or claimed proof) of the situation you describe. i could describe hypothetical situations all day but they don't mean squat unless they're actually occurring.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

I'm pro free-flowing traffic
    If this is true, try creating an environment that encourages folks to get out of their cars onto their bikes. You're a long way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

3 videos from the other day. multiple red light breaks from both cyclists and cars.

These 2 cyclists are in serious need of education - the park gate street junction is rife with this and cars coming from the conyngham road always race the red making this a brutal area. 2nd car definitely broke the red here. 2nd clip the girl plays with fire the black car is about 2 seconds from clipping her. no need for it.

This is just typical multiple infractions from cars and vans

Same van continued to go up the bus/cycle only lane contra flow ultimately getting into the wrong bus only lane to go straight only to swing right from the bus and cycle only rosie hacket bridge. Lost or not woeful driving. Cars as usual hogging the junction box at burgh quay.

In general it was a bad day there was an incident on north wall quay close to the convention center a cyclist was down on the path with a fire truck there and a car stopped in the bus lane.

I remember thinking I've loads of footage of terrible driving particularly with a truck in bus and cycle lane was thinking something bad could happen little did I know it already had :( sun was too low in the morning to get good video of the general stretch but probably just as well no one wants to see someone in serious trouble. Hope he was ok. All around bad day and Dublin is only getting worse :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Actually, that'd be an excellent campaign. Hand out colouring books at junctions to motorists unable to stay in lane.
    a pity something like this is impractical outside parking issues.

https://twitter.com/adunkel2016/status/781529630926704640

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

a pity something like this is impractical outside parking issues.

https://twitter.com/adunkel2016/status/781529630926704640

I've seen this idea a few times...and those are by far the kindest words used.

Advertisement