Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indo: 'outrage' over cyclists not using bike lane

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Chuchote wrote: »
    Under the ownership of asset-strippers or profit-worshippers, a lot of the papers have got rid of their Irish sub-editors and are 'outsourcing' their "editing" to Britain, whose subs genuinely don't know that Ireland's a different country. So you find them referring to "An Irishman", "the mainland", etc. And they either buy in stuff that people have already read online in the Guardian, the Telegraph, etc, or simply plagiarise stories. As their readership drops, the owners keep making these budget-slashing decisions, and scratching their heads over why people don't want to read their stuff any more.
    Fixed that for you ;)
    (Don't get me started on general editing)

Having said that, I haven't bought a physical paper for years, so I'm not helping...but then someone has to think of the trees :p
    (Admittedly, I havn't bought any e-subs either)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

not that this is the place for such discussions, but newspaper budgets are generally plummeting regardless of the quality of content. the fall in quality is as a result of the revenue falloff, not necessarily a cause of it.

Both, probably.

I'm subscribing to The Irish Times this year; probably won't next year. It's not really speaking to my kind of reader.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

not that this is the place for such discussions, but newspaper budgets are generally plummeting regardless of the quality of content. the fall in quality is as a result of the revenue falloff, not necessarily a cause of it.
    Yes, I'm sure there is an element of the vicious cycle, and the reduced revenue could have strted it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Deedsie wrote: »
    Sunset is at 19:25... So 20:15 is dusk or twilight not Night. Run along the cycle lane on the N11 Southbound this evening at the UCD flyover... a nice 100 metres of various spots of broken glass between the N11 and the woodbine road bus stop if you want to see some broken glass.

Not to mention the pedestrians and runners jogging along in the cycle lane oblivious to anything going on around them.

Wasn't talking about the n11 one, so not sure what your point is.

Looking at google maps the cycle lane on the flyover there is a few signs saying its a walk way and cycle lane. I wouldn't run in that cycle lane as I know what it means but maybe some dont or are just stupid

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

People on here were complaining about glass on the n4 cycle/walk way. Ran on it last night, its in perfect condition!

I can't see it mentioned anywhere, it doesn't go where I want to go on the N4, so I cannot comment on it.

• Advertisement

Deedsie wrote: »
    Your post seemed to imply (I may be wrong) that cyclists here were exaggerating when pointing out glass in cycle lanes... I was pointing out a location with plenty of glass if you would like to see it.

NO i only mention n4

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Ronaldinho wrote: »
    On the basis of the first 30 seconds or so he's dead right.

2 lads cycling on a narrow road when there's what seems to be a perfectly good cycle lane they could be using.

What's the point in going to the expense of putting in cycle lanes if people aren't going to use them?
    May as well just paint lines on the road and then the traffic will have room to overtake.

I see a driver driving his Chelsea Tractor on a narrow road when there's a perfectly good motorway that he could be using. I mean, what's the point of building the motorways of people aren't going to use them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I see a driver driving his Chelsea Tractor on a narrow road when there's a perfectly good motorway that he could be using. I mean, what's the point of building the motorways of people aren't going to use them.

Well I assume that's tongue in check, but in a similar vein but more serious. The number of trucks that take the r108 and similar roads to avoid the M1 is atrocious. It's the only road I've felt genuinely unsafe on every time I've been on it. I assume they're trying to avoid tolls, and I know some are coming from factories/farms along that stretch, but otherwise it's no road for such vehicles.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Well I assume that's tongue in check, but in a similar vein but more serious. The number of trucks that take the r108 and similar roads to avoid the M1 is atrocious. It's the only road I've felt genuinely unsafe on every time I've been on it. I assume they're trying to avoid tolls, and I know some are coming from factories/farms along that stretch, but otherwise it's no road for such vehicles.

The trucks don't have to use the tolls, so get used to it. (Tongue in cheek)

The trucks don't have to use the tolls, so get used to it. (Tongue in cheek)

I know, I know and they're entitled to use the roads. It'll probably get worse as was there is talk of adding VAT onto tolls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It'll probably get worse as was there is talk of adding VAT onto tolls
    There's vat on tolls already.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

There is plenty of scope to improve relations between motorists and cyclists. Today while passing through St. Annes housing estate in Raheny I clocked an SUV, in my mirror, approaching me from my rear. Due to a continuous line of parked cars on the opposite side of the road, the driver considered he did not have enough room to pass me - in actual fact he had, but was holding back. I gave him a hand signal to overtake and pulled in slightly. Net result a 'cheery beep' from his horn, on passing - acknowledged by a wave back from me. Everyone a winner. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I always make a point of giving a little 'thanks for waiting, sorry I kept you' raise of the hand when a driver holds back on the rural twisties around the Dublin/Wicklow border.
    In my mind I'm winning them over one fuming cage driver at a time.

I'm like a slow and gasping one-man UN peacekeeping force, me...

There's vat on tolls already.

Apparently it's paid by the state out of the fees and is not therefore VAT I guess just cost absorption.

Why not just reduce the toll and tack on the VAT to keep it the same price though?

Just saw the link to the IT article.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

cjt156 wrote: »
    I always make a point of giving a little 'thanks for waiting, sorry I kept you' raise of the hand when a driver holds back on the rural twisties around the Dublin/Wicklow border.
    In my mind I'm winning them over one fuming cage driver at a time.

I'm like a slow and gasping one-man UN peacekeeping force, me...

Same here, I always do it if the driver does slow down and wait to get past me. Usually acknowledged by a quick hazard light flash or a beep .......

*do it, one at a time....*

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭bobbyss

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I saw this story yesterday and the video was removed by then, I suspect because the moron couldn't handle the abuse he was getting because of his stupidity, backfiring spectacularly on it.

And the Indo, as we know, is bollox, I wonder if they even saw the video, because the take on the video I saw was that the driver filming the cyclist was outraged, but as I said, his own stupidity became the real story.

They don't need a passenger, they can claim they're on the way to pick up a fare, drop off something etc and are allowed to use them.

What is the specific law that states that do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

There is plenty of scope to improve relations between motorists and cyclists. Today while passing through St. Annes housing estate in Raheny I clocked an SUV, in my mirror, approaching me from my rear. Due to a continuous line of parked cars on the opposite side of the road, the driver considered he did not have enough room to pass me - in actual fact he had, but was holding back. I gave him a hand signal to overtake and pulled in slightly. Net result a 'cheery beep' from his horn, on passing - acknowledged by a wave back from me. Everyone a winner. :)

Ah there's some lovely people living in that part of the world.... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

Why not just reduce the toll and tack on the VAT to keep it the same price though?
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

CramCycle wrote: »
    He was a famous face for a charity cycle a few years ago, possibly cancer research. He just stood on the bike though. He also recently accepted an invitation from someone in Dublin (a cycling advocacy group, I think). He wobbled around a partially cobbled street, went on the footpath, turned back against traffic on a one way street and then got off.

There is a video as it was on the newstalk site for a bit and there was definetly a link in here somewhere but I will be damned f I can find it.

There's this and a few more on that site - but not sure if they actually got the twerp on a bike.

• Advertisement

Is telling someone to stick a walking stick into a bike wheel incitement to commit a crime?
    That's not exactly what he said.
    "there is one thing you can do, if you have a walking stick you can hit them"

Decide for yourself which is worse.

What we can all stop doing is listening to Newstalk and let them know about it and why.

Lots of hookiness here http://www.tv3.ie/ireland_am_video.php?locID=1.65.74&video=87890 but not on a bike

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

not yet wrote: »
    Cycle lanes are nearly always filled with glass and debris, plus you can have people doodling along in them.

But roads are obviously empty and completely swept clean at any given time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭SteM

Dont think anyone said that.

Generally glass on roads is crushed by car tyres going over it constantly and is less harmful to bike tyres, whereas glass on cycle tracks just sits there waiting to cause a puncture.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

SteM wrote: »

Generally glass on roads is crushed by car tyres going over it constantly and is less harmful to bike tyres, whereas glass on cycle tracks just sits there waiting to cause a puncture.

Yeah, even when roads aren't swept, the cars tend to push debris away from the main part of the carriageway. Look at the envelope of debris around a traffic island, like the tail of a comet.

SteM wrote: »

Roads are also awful. I have completely changed my cycling routes due to three roads being too dangerous for me; one is Leinster Road which I have constantly reported for several years - the 100 metres from Harold's Cross Road especially. Nothing has been done. It'll take people starting to sue the Council when they fall due to potholes and wheel-catching seams before the roads are resurfaced.

It's another reason Transport for Ireland should be putting in protected, separated cycle lanes a la Vancouver

https://vimeo.com/183441272

- there's a lot less wear on them. In Vancouver (a city with nearly twice as much rain as Dublin), the number of children cycling has doubled, which means far less cars being used to bring kids to school, and far less wear on the car roads too.

I was out for a quick spin yesterday, my first in a while. I didn't wear any conspicuous cycling gear, only mitts and shoes. I was given plenty of room during overtakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I don't think cycling rates in Vancouver are all that high. I mean, they're stratospheric for Canada, but as far as I know they aren't actually better than Dublin's.

The highest rate (for commuting, that is) in a Census Metropolitan Area in Canada is in Victoria, also in British Columbia, which has 5.9% of journeys by bike, so I guess Vancouver has a lower rate than that.
    http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/nhs-enm/2011/as-sa/99-012-x/99-012-x2011003_1-eng.cfm
    (Latest census might be higher, admittedly.)

Vancouver has a mandatory helmet law, which may depress numbers. But we don't need to discuss that here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

If I'm on a road and I come across a hazard or obstruction, I can generally get around it without stopping as I've the full width of the road to play with. If I'm on a path I don't have that luxury. I'd either have to dismount and lift the bike onto the road, or dismount and use the footpath if that's not blocked too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

dogsears wrote: »
    There's this and a few more on that site - but not sure if they actually got the twerp on a bike.

And he's only there because Haiti is a cause close to Denis's heart and when Denis says jump, George says how high.

Odious buffon of a man.

Advertisement