Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indo: 'outrage' over cyclists not using bike lane

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

17:00 is 5pm

I can't remember if this applies in this case, but bad signage is a common problem in these situations.

E.g. two signs on the same post beside a solid line cycle-lane.
    Sign 1: "cycle lane"
    Sign 2: "clearway 07.00-17.00"

What does this mean? Yup, the cycle lane is 24hr and can't be parked in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

17:00 is 5pm

Sorry, of course I meant 7:00 to 19:00. I'm pretty innumerate. Wish I wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

There's a clearway on Bolton street in Dublin where you can also park...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

What do you have to say about that Logical Dermot? :pac:

Good example: as there's no sign limiting the hours of the cycle lane it must be 24hr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

At least cyclists can swerve around cars parked in the cycle lane.....

Trainidiot.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

NiallBoo wrote: »
    Good example: as there's no sign limiting the hours of the cycle lane it must be 24hr

As it's a non mandatory cycle lane, cars can also drive on it 24/7 also...

As it's a non mandatory cycle lane, cars can also drive on it 24/7 also...

But not park for extended periods, right?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    At least cyclists can swerve around cars parked in the cycle lane.....
    I see a way around this for the train driver.

Maybe "around" is the wrong word to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

That image is... Impressive.

It looks like the train might just squeeze through, but may be taking some paintwork with it.

That said, where is the fence separating the railway from the rest of the world? I'm surprised messrs Health & Safety aren't all over that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭AlreadyHome

Would there be any appetite/use for a megathread for photos of bike lane misuse/disrepair/driver ignorance? (If it doesn't already exist)

Be nice to have a pooled archive of images available to draw from when contacting the relevant authorities.

<Also just to moan about>

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Would there be any appetite/use for a megathread for photos of bike lane misuse/disrepair/driver ignorance? (If it doesn't already exist)

Be nice to have a pooled archive of images available to draw from when contacting the relevant authorities.

Cyclists really need a voice; I am getting sick to my guts of cycling around the city every day and seeing crap cycle paths, crap road surfaces and crap driver behaviour......and then opening the newspaper and seeing people whinge about cyclists, cyclists, cyclists........ I've really had enough of the hypocrisy of it......

There's a twitter feed for such a thing, can't remember what the tag is at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Cyclists really need a voice; I am getting sick to my guts of cycling around the city every day and seeing crap cycle paths, crap road surfaces and crap driver behaviour......and then opening the newspaper and seeing people whinge about cyclists, cyclists, cyclists........ I've really had enough of the hypocrisy of it......

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057653222

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Think its #freethecyclelanes

No use to those of use who don't understand the twittermachine

ThisRegard wrote: »
    There's a twitter feed for such a thing, can't remember what the tag is at the moment.

The twitter tag is #freethecyclelanes

I was thinking more along the lines of photos encompassing the whole bike infrastructure issue, not just photos of cars parked across bike lanes.

The twitter tag is #freethecyclelanes

I was thinking more along the lines of photos encompassing the whole bike infrastructure issue, not just photos of cars parked across bike lanes.

Sure why not start a thread, run it up the flagpole and see who salutes?

Chuchote wrote: »
    Sure why not start a thread, run it up the flagpole and see who salutes?

Have messaged the powers that be; I am but a lowly double-digit poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

tempted to start a camera footage thread in the same vein as the motors dashcam thread!

not to start an us vs. them, more a "people are bad on the road and paths" type of thing. Drivers assume we are all the same. I could make the same assumption but I won't even though I can collect enough evidence to dispute it's likely 50-50 meaning PEOPLE are causing all the madness on the roads.

I'm not on a crusade but I do like statistics so I'm gonna keep publically posting the main madness. Check out the 2 motors at the start here and the bike at the end. car in bus lane. crazy stuff and this is 75 consecutive seconds in 1 day.

00sully wrote: »
    tempted to start a camera footage thread in the same vein as the motors dashcam thread!

The part that scares me the most is the way you're directed off the road, before being thrown back on to the bus lane without any warning to yourself or whatever vehicle might be right behind you.

• Advertisement

The light for the An Post truck was almost green again at the point he drove through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

00sully wrote: »

not to start an us vs. them, more a "people are bad on the road and paths" type of thing. Drivers assume we are all the same. I could make the same assumption but I won't even though I can collect enough evidence to dispute it's likely 50-50 meaning PEOPLE are causing all the madness on the roads.

I'm not on a crusade but I do like statistics so I'm gonna keep publically posting the main madness. Check out the 2 motors at the start here and the bike at the end. car in bus lane. crazy stuff and this is 75 consecutive seconds in 1 day.

You should check out YellowDublinCyclist - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgCjrdNoFNHet0p1H5phIpw
    He has some great videos of craziness around Dublin City

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Reg numbers in video titles make me doubt the likelihood of the cyclist being reasonable. Is it just me?

Roadhawk wrote: »
    You should check out YellowDublinCyclist - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgCjrdNoFNHet0p1H5phIpw
    He has some great videos of craziness around Dublin City

Whoa, angry dude. I cycle, ride a motorbike, and drive. I can understand why you would be annoyed by a lot of things, but some things he has an irrational annoyance with.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

Basil3 wrote: »
    Whoa, angry dude. I cycle, ride a motorbike, and drive. I can understand why you would be annoyed by a lot of things, but some things he has an irrational annoyance with.

I think he is just pee'd off at people breaking the rules.

Roadhawk wrote: »
    I think he is just pee'd off at people breaking the rules.

Yeah, even the ones that are in no way dangerous, and have absolutely no bearing on him. Where do you draw the line? Start yelling at people for doing 51km/h in a 50 zone? He's the kind of person who goes looking for trouble, and trouble finds him.

AltAccount wrote: »
    Reg numbers in video titles make me doubt the likelihood of the cyclist being reasonable. Is it just me?

How do you take out reg numbers in a video?

Chuchote wrote: »
    How do you take out reg numbers in a video?
    Don't know, but he has to put them into the video title.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Yeah, even the ones that are in no way dangerous, and have absolutely no bearing on him. Where do you draw the line? Start yelling at people for doing 51km/h in a 50 zone? He's the kind of person who goes looking for trouble, and trouble finds him.

Nothing makes me want that person to get knocked off their bike more than when they act obnoxiously self righteous about a car coming within 2 metres of them or the driver even looking at them funny. Those people are the ones who give cyclists a bad name.

• Advertisement

Those people are the ones who give cyclists a bad name.
    Nobody gives cyclists a bad name. That's a nonsense cliche.

Advertisement