Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dentures

Options
  • 20-09-2016 8:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

So, I am staring the necessity for dentures in the face. Not immediately, but down the line. I'm terrified. For some reason I really don't want them, I abhor them, I can't see myself kissing anyone anymore with them. Depressing.

I don't mind specs, or even hearing aids, but omg dentures.

Talk with me O&O - experiences. Or do you all have incredibly strong teeth?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

If you can afford it you can get fixtures placed in the bone which give a very secure arrangement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

So, I am staring the necessity for dentures in the face. Not immediately, but down the line. I'm terrified. For some reason I really don't want them, I abhor them, I can't see myself kissing anyone anymore with them. Depressing.

I don't mind specs, or even hearing aids, but omg dentures.

Talk with me O&O - experiences. Or do you all have incredibly strong teeth?

Sorry to hear you may have to consider dentures Julius. My teeth are ok according to my dentist so I don't have to face it as yet but I do understand your feeling about it. I don't remember either of my parents without false teeth, we are blessed today that we can get this far without them. On a positive note, I do know a couple of people who got false teeth and I honestly wouldn't even notice they had them in. So all I can offer to you is the thought that dentists can do wonderful things for you these days, but it can be pretty expensive. Some folk I know travel to Northern Ireland for their dental treatment because it is cheaper, don't know how long they will be able to continue that now. Best of luck anyway, and keep your pecker up! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I have dentures and I am very happy with them they are easy to clean, no toothache and I can take them out when I want. (I usually only take them out for bed) :cool:

Problems..... not actually found any apart from partial dentures tend to ruin your natural teeth with the metal clips.:o

Fixodent is good to hold them in place. They do take a bit of getting used to to be honest but once you do you will be fine hon. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I had your attitude too, OP. I spent a fortune on a chrome cobalt partial, only to leave it in a drawer for ages. Even the look of it disgusted me. However, vanity prevailed, the dentist said the face can get very drawn looking as you get older if you have missing teeth. It took about three weeks to get used to it, first week I felt like I had a gob full of metal, but that feeling passed. Now smiling much more, and have gotten used to eating with it. Persevere, it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Had dentures decades( illness when I was young) and they are simplicity.

Knew someone who paid hundreds for his,decided he could not bear them and displayed his TWO remaining teeth saying " I HAVE TEETH!" Like everything else, takes a little time etc but is worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Ah Grace, that's brilliant! Two teeth. Probably delighted with himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭looksee

But the vital question is, did the two teeth match?

haha one from a cat and one from a hippo you mean?

Well i was thinking more opposite one another, so you could bite and even nibble one toothed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You wouldn't chew much with two teeth at the best of times but if not opposing teeth they are useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

You wouldn't chew much with two teeth at the best of times but if not opposing teeth they are useless.

Maybe not chew, but could be used to tear :D

looksee wrote: »
    But the vital question is, did the two teeth match?

NO! One lower left and the other upper right! When he opened his mouth and started gnashing at me!

he was a beef cattle farmer too so presumably lived on beef!

Mind you years ago where I was living and making a garden I uncovered a full set of dentures one day so clearly someone else got fed up too ;) A pink smile ...

When my mum was on holiday in Spain with a group of her oap friends - I'd say she was in her 60s at the time, a group of them grabbed her and threw her in the swimming pool - yes I know the mind boggles - her dentures flew out and broke in two as they landed.So they got a tube of superglue from the receptionist and stuck them back together till she could get home!

My mum and dad both got dentures in the 1960's, mum always wore hers, but dad wore his three times only.

looksee wrote: »
    When my mum was on holiday in Spain with a group of her oap friends - I'd say she was in her 60s at the time, a group of them grabbed her and threw her in the swimming pool - yes I know the mind boggles - her dentures flew out and broke in two as they landed.So they got a tube of superglue from the receptionist and stuck them back together till she could get home!

superglu is great ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

If you can afford it you can get fixtures placed in the bone which give a very secure arrangement.

Having a plate which works well and a metal clip in I never persevered with, I have finally convinced myself to go down this route with implants. It's going to be bloody expensive for sure but at the end of the day it's just the cost of a decent car . I have just got back on the dating scene so it made me self conscious enough to get past the cost.
    madmaggie wrote: »
    the dentist said the face can get very drawn looking as you get older if you have missing teeth.
    I definitely noticed this over time and one of the pluses for me is the implants supposedly (hopefully) help reverse the bone loss with the existing bone deciding it has a job to do again.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Madagascan

Top ones are fine, fit well.
    Had to get bottom ones a year ago.
    Awful! !
    Yes maybe through time I would get used to them.
    They have been in cupboard for the whole time bar a week.

Madagascan wrote: »
    Top ones are fine, fit well.
    Had to get bottom ones a year ago.
    Awful! !
    Yes maybe through time I would get used to them.
    They have been in cupboard for the whole time bar a week.

same for me really

Advertisement