Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting spark to change out plug, dimmers, light switches

Options
  • 20-09-2016 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,659 ✭✭✭✭

I have approx a dozen single and double electrical sockets, light switches and dimmers I want to change from old white plastic to chrome.

How much can I expect a spark to charge to change a dozen/per socket?

I'm guessing it would be a very handy job for them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

NIMAN wrote: »
    I have approx a dozen single and double electrical sockets, light switches and dimmers I want to change from old white plastic to chrome.

How much can I expect a spark to charge to change a dozen/per socket?

I'm guessing it would be a very handy job for them.
    It's a DIY job, just make sure that the chrome fitting is earthed

• Registered Users Posts: 33,659 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

ted1 wrote: »
    It's a DIY job, just make sure that the chrome fitting is earthed

I was considering having a go, but I have always been afraid of doing DIY around electricity if I'm honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,255 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It's very, very easy. Just make sure the switch is tripped and copy the wiring that's on the old plates when fitting the new ones.

Shop around for the new switches / sockets. I've seen 300% price differentials on sockets between different builders providers, never mind the likes of Woodies / B&Q.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Sleepy wrote: »
    Shop around for the new switches / sockets. I've seen 300% price differentials on sockets between different builders providers, never mind the likes of Woodies / B&Q.

+1

we're in the process of switching from white plastic to chrome and the price range for sockets was anywhere between €6 and €40+ :eek:

Be careful what you're buying too. A lot of the chrome fittings are cheap chrome-style metallic plastic rather than metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,659 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I bought this range from Screwfix
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-13a-2-gang-sp-switched-plug-sockets-brushed-stainless-steel-pack-of-5/1772c
    very reasonable prices compared to some of those being charged.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    I bought this range from Screwfix
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-13a-2-gang-sp-switched-plug-sockets-brushed-stainless-steel-pack-of-5/1772c
    very reasonable prices compared to some of those being charged.

Good price. We looked at screwfix but the polished chrome products had mixed reviews.

I was trying to work out what our sparks charged to swap out all the old sockets/switches but unfortunately it was lumped in with a pile of other work we had done at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,255 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Where did you go for the plates in the end Graham? Putting some brushed stainless steel switches and sockets into the kitchen is at the end of a very long list of jobs I have to do myself and I was planning to go with Screwfix when I get around to it...

Sleepy wrote: »
    Where did you go for the plates in the end Graham? Putting some brushed stainless steel switches and sockets into the kitchen is at the end of a very long list of jobs I have to do myself and I was planning to go with Screwfix when I get around to it...

After much much trial and error I ended up ordering from the Knightsbridge range on Amazon.co.uk

They have brushed steel and polished chrome and they're solid metal plates. The range we chose is screwless so the plates just click on after fitting. We weren't particularly looking for screwless they just happened to be the most reasonably priced.

Advertisement