Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving house, can I keep my tracker mortgage?

Options
  • 20-09-2016 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

I saw a house the other day and its a bit more than my current house (guess). I have a tracker and I'm wondering if I can keep it and get another mortgage for the difference? Do banks do this? I would have savings (but not enough for the difference).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Please do not start multiple threads on the same/very similar topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

There are some banks that will do this. I'd speak to the bank's mortgage people to understand what they will do before you set your heart on moving.

Important to note, if you're getting another mortgage to cover the extra, the whole amount will have to qualify under the mortgage rules, i.e. 3.5X your gross income and <80% LTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

There are some banks that will do this. I'd speak to the bank's mortgage people to understand what they will do before you set your heart on moving.
    Good advice - I've arranged a meeting to see what could be done. I would be ok with the 3.5X gross income (on the combined mortgage), but don't understand the <80% LTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

LTV is loan to value. Since you would qualify as not a first time buyer, your loan would have to be less than 80% of the value of the house. Say you had a house with a value of 400k and equity of 120k in it would mean your current mortgage is at 70% LTV. Now let's say the new house was 450k, you'd need a mortgage for 50k extra, with a total loan of 400-120+50=330k which would be 73% of the value of the new house.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Depends on your own bank. You can only "move" your tracker if you get a mortgage with the same bank. And in most cases they will allow you to keep your tracker rate for a few years, plus an extra couple of %.

I don't know if any banks are doing a "keep your current tracker for the full term" deals.

• Advertisement
Advertisement