Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In and out of UK

Options
  • 20-09-2016 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

For a fictional work, I'm trying to find out (or remember!) how easy it was to get between Ireland and the UK in the 1970s. Technically we wouldn't have needed a passport, but could someone have travelled easily under a false name? Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

While you didn't need a passport it was advisable to carry one or some form of ID or you were courting trouble. I traveled to and from the UK (incl.NI) regularly during the 1970s and never had any problems but I didn't have a beard, a backpack - or an attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Gate12

That's great. I like the idea of the importance of no attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

There was a separate arrivals & boarding gate area for Irish flights in LHR and it had a manned CID desk. Not everyone got stopped, but if you had long hair or a beard you were likely to be pulled in. Architecture students many of whom wore a lot of black and had beards suffered. On the very few occasions I was stopped at Heathrow I always found them very polite (same with the troops on the border).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,990 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Several times during the 80's I got all the way into central London without ever having to produce my passport. Boat and train. CID had a presence there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Gate12

Great stuff, beards out

• Advertisement
Advertisement