Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Extension ladders on car roof bars?

Options
  • 20-09-2016 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,943 ✭✭✭✭

I'd like to carry a set of extension ladders on our Octavia roof bars.
    The ladders are 3.5m in length unextended.
    I have proper clamps.
    There's about a metre between the roof bars so there'd be a 1.25m overhang front and back.
    Does this sound ok?
    Anyone regularly do this?
    Anything I should watch out for? Top speed, etc?
    Since they won't extend beyond the front or back of the car I don't need to attach a red flag to them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

I installed satellites as a summer nixer and covered many miles with a double extension and roof ladder on my jeep, A trick to not getting it to overhang the back is to put the ladder up on the bars, then slide it forwards until it is at it's tipping point, and stick the rear clamp on, then the front clamp. Be really wary of opening the boot and hitting the glass off the ladder, an easy mistake to make

No issues with top speed, or bumps, or corners, the noise can be awful on a long drive though. I once got my clamps nicked by some scrote, and used 4 dirty big cable ties to hold the ladder down, surprisingly it didn't budge an inch, though I wouldn't like to have crashed with them up there.

Advertisement