If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

40 to 43 inch LG or Samsung 4k tvs?

Options
  • 20-09-2016 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi

Do you have the LG 43UF770V or Samsung 40JU6410 available?

Which would have the best screen, volume, web access interface?

I'm looking for 40-43 inch with freesat that can get BBC 4.

Also need the Channel 4 player as well as RTE and BBC and ITV player

Cheers
    Sean

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

appagri wrote: »
    Hi

Cheers
    Sean
    Hi Sean,

Unfortunately both of those models are from last year and discontinued. They have been replaced by the LG 43UH750 and the Samsung UE40KU6400 at £699 and £499 respectively. The new LGs are fantastic TVs however the Samsungs do have a more comprehensive smart hub which would include Channel 4 and ITV player. As it will be in Ireland it should pick up the RTE player but you won't get the BBC iPlayer. The Samsung also has freesat built in but it does not have twin tuners meaning you would have to retune the TV any time you switch between freeview and freesat.

I hope this information has been helpful. Let me know what you think.

Kind Regards

David

• Company Representative Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Brian

Hi

Cheers
    Sean
    HI appagri, thanks for the post

Unfortunately both of these are finished models and no longer available to us

The nearest equivalent we would have to these would be the newer LG 43UH590 at £349 or the samsung UE40KU6400 at £499

With regards to the apps, it would depend on the location of the TV whether all of the apps are available. All the TVs are capable of getting all the BBC/CH4/RTE apps etc, but it is the ip address that determines whether they are available in your area. Where abouts are you?

Generally, I would say the samsung models tend to be a bit better than the LG at this level, and their web interface is more intuitive in my opinion

Have a look at the above, or let me know pof any specific spec requirements (4k/high refresh rate/freesat etc) and I'll see what I can do for you

Regards
    Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 19 appagri

Hi

Cheers
    Sean
    Hi Sean,

Unfortunately both of those models are from last year and discontinued. They have been replaced by the LG 43UH750 and the Samsung UE40KU6400 at £699 and £499 respectively. The new LGs are fantastic TVs however the Samsungs do have a more comprehensive smart hub which would include Channel 4 and ITV player. As it will be in Ireland it should pick up the RTE player but you won't get the BBC iPlayer. The Samsung also has freesat built in but it does not have twin tuners meaning you would have to retune the TV any time you switch between freeview and freesat.

Kind Regards

David
    Hi David

OK Thanks for the reply.
    You say that "The Samsung also has freesat built in but it does not have twin tuners meaning you would have to retune the TV any time you switch between freeview and freesat."
    The LG also has Freesat so does this mean the there is no need to retune when switching from freeview to freesat on the LG?
    And what do you mean by "retune"? It does sound a bit more than just hitting a button on the remote to switch the input source!

Also for the freesat on these TVs is there a 7 day epg or just "now and next" when connected to the web?

Off the out of date models I mentioned which had the best screen?

Cheers

Hi

Cheers
    Sean
    HI appagri, thanks for the post

Unfortunately both of these are finished models and no longer available to us

The nearest equivalent we would have to these would be the newer LG 43UH590 at £349 or the samsung UE40KU6400 at £499

With regards to the apps, it would depend on the location of the TV whether all of the apps are available. All the TVs are capable of getting all the BBC/CH4/RTE apps etc, but it is the ip address that determines whether they are available in your area. Where abouts are you?

Generally, I would say the samsung models tend to be a bit better than the LG at this level, and their web interface is more intuitive in my opinion

Have a look at the above, or let me know pof any specific spec requirements (4k/high refresh rate/freesat etc) and I'll see what I can do for you

Regards
    Brian
    Hi Brian

Thanks for the info , I'm down south so I guess a google search will let me know how to get both RTE and BBC/Channel4 players to work!

4K is not really required but it seems to come standard on all newer models which I assume has the best panels etc plus future proofing.
    Freesat is preferred along with Web interface and possibly Bluetooth and a headphone jack.
    The best refresh rate and response time along with the best brightness/contrast  would be good.
    The LG have IPS panels whilst the Samsung have TFT I believe so I would have thought that the LG would be newer/tech/better!?
    Also is "real" HDR any better than HDR processing or is it just down to a personal preference?
    Also is the Back lighting (Direct/Edge) any better on those models?
    Same question goes for Local Dimming!

Cheers
    Sean

Hi

Cheers
    Sean
    Hi Sean,

Kind Regards

David
    Hi David

OK Thanks for the reply.
    You say that "The Samsung also has freesat built in but it does not have twin tuners meaning you would have to retune the TV any time you switch between freeview and freesat."
    The LG also has Freesat so does this mean the there is no need to retune when switching from freeview to freesat on the LG?
    And what do you mean by "retune"? It does sound a bit more than just hitting a button on the remote to switch the input source!

Also for the freesat on these TVs is there a 7 day epg or just "now and next" when connected to the web?

Cheers
    Hi Sean,

I have had a look at the spec sheet for the LG and it doesn't have twin tuners either. It is a bit of a faff, we were alterted to the issue by a customer who bought the TV thinking, as we all did, that you could just flick between freeview and freesat. However because it only has the one tuner it has to retune the epg and channel list any time you change the aerial. To retune all you have to do is go to broadcast settings, choose freeview or freesat and click auto tune but if you're planning on doing this a lot it does take a while.

The freesat will have an EPG, anything with Freesat built in will come with that function.

In the out of date models I would go with the Samsung, there was a period there of a few years when when the smaller Samsung screens were untouchable, the model before that won the What Hi Fi award for best TV, but LG are on par with them now.

I hope this has been helpful.

Kind Regards

David

• Advertisement

Hi

Cheers
    Sean
    Hi Sean,

Kind Regards

David
    Hi David

OK Thanks for the reply.

Cheers
    Hi Sean,

I have had a look at the spec sheet for the LG and it doesn't have twin tuners either. It is a bit of a faff, we were alterted to the issue by a customer who bought the TV thinking, as we all did, that you could just flick between freeview and freesat. However because it only has the one tuner it has to retune the epg and channel list any time you change the aerial. To retune all you have to do is go to broadcast settings, choose freeview or freesat and click auto tune but if you're planning on doing this a lot it does take a while.

The freesat will have an EPG, anything with Freesat built in will come with that function.

In the out of date models I would go with the Samsung, there was a period there of a few years when when the smaller Samsung screens were untouchable, the model before that won the What Hi Fi award for best TV, but LG are on par with them now.

Kind Regards

David
    Thanks Kenny

So which TVs come with twin tuners so there is no retuning?

Hi

Cheers
    Sean
    Hi Sean,

Kind Regards

David
    Hi David

OK Thanks for the reply.

Cheers
    Hi Sean,

Kind Regards

David
    Thanks Kenny

Hey Sean.

Pretty much any of the others. Seems it only Samsung that have came up with this idea.

LG screens with the sat connection will do both freeview and freesat with no issues.

Hi

Cheers
    Sean
    Hi Sean,

Kind Regards

David
    Hi David

OK Thanks for the reply.

Cheers
    Hi Sean,

Kind Regards

David
    Thanks Kenny

Hey Sean.

Pretty much any of the others. Seems it only Samsung that have came up with this idea.

LG screens with the sat connection will do both freeview and freesat with no issues.
    OK Thanks Guys!

• Company Representative Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Brian

No probs

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.