Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rear Brake Sticking (Honda Deauville)

• 20-09-2016 1:08pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Having problems with my rear brake sticking on an 03 Deauville. Bike was serviced only a couple of months ago and the pads are less than a year old with plenty of life left.

I sprayed a bit of WD-40 around the brake pedal on the off chance the pedal is sticking however it has made little difference.

Any advice or is this a "Get it checked out by a mechanic" type issue.

Funny enough I was reading about WD-40 and brakes and the world seems to be divided on using it on brake parts itself so I didn't use it there

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

WD40 can get sticky when it dries out. A common problem with the brakes on Deuvilles and the old Pan Europeans is the pistons in the calipers. Remove the caliper and pads then press the pedal until the pistons pop out. Make sure there is something to catch the fluid that will come out. Clean and grease the pistons around the circumference and inside where the pistons sit then carefully push the pistons back in wiping any excess grease away. Top up fluid and replace pads and refit the caliper. Press the pedal several times until you get normal feel then check fluid level again.
    This should solve the issue. I did it on my Pan and worked perfectly but any mechanics out there please correct me if there's a better way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

You dont sound too confident mate ,no offence...:o... but you need to be when messing around with calipers...if you dont put the piston in exactly right you will nip the seal and youre back to square one...by all means have a go ,its the only way you'll learn..read Roadskill's post ten times before you start...;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Cheers folks. I've no idea how to remove the brakes let alone do anything suggested! I'll bring it to a mechanic.

Unless anyone here fancies doing a nixer? :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Just to update for those interested. The WD-40 must have taken some time to work its way into pedal. Brake works fine now. No dismantling required!

Advertisement