Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leap Card

Options
  • 20-09-2016 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hello,

I live in Cork City. I would like to know if with a Leap Card I can also go to other towns in Cork county. For instance, Mayfair, Kinsale, Wilton, Killeagh and so on.
    Departing from the Parnell Place Bus Station, obviously.

Is it free by buying a Leap Card or the Leap Card is valid only within Cork City (where a single run is 2,10€)?

Thank you,
    loveireland94

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Some of those routes accept payment by Leap (definitely not Mayfair ;)), some only partial routes. All city bus services take it. It's never free.

https://about.leapcard.ie/cork has a fairly good summary. I know from experience that you can't use it for Cork to Kinsale, but you can use it on that route if you're only going to the airport. The map on the linked page outlines the boundaries.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

On a related note, do many shops do the leap top up in Cork?
    Tried a few and they don't do it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

mik_da_man wrote: »
    On a related note, do many shops do the leap top up in Cork?
    Tried a few and they don't do it....

Use the App to top up

Don't have NFC on my phone so can't install the app

One plus 2!!

Found a map through their site so will use that:

http://www.payzone.ie/paywithpayzone.jsp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Found a map through their site so will use that:

http://www.payzone.ie/paywithpayzone.jsp

Just make sure it's actually available in the shop - I went to 'collect' an online topup in a Payzone shop only to find out that the machine didn't work, and never had. Had to drive somewhere to pick it up, which rather defeated the purpose!

Just make sure it's actually available in the shop - I went to 'collect' an online topup in a Payzone shop only to find out that the machine didn't work, and never had. Had to drive somewhere to pick it up, which rather defeated the purpose!

Yeah, found that too :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Ok i have a Leep Card myself i get the Tax Saver Green Ticket works out 72 euros a month normal 102 euros but get it cheaper as its used with my PRSI.

Its maybe the best thing that has ever came to cork as you can use the bus how many times you wont per month on any route. I use it to get to the airport business park and the 202. So if i was paying reg leap card prices it would be 10 euros a day or so both with the tax saver 72 euros a month pays for its self after a week.

I have never been on a bus in the city where i cant use it. From Dougles, Wilton and so on.

Even the normal buses you can get to say Fermy will have a leap card tap on it now.

You get a 20% on your normal rate if your using leap card works out at 1.60 for a single trip.

Super valve in town you can top up there same as both centras in town and Eassons in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 loveireland94

Hello TheChizler,

Thank you for the link of the map. That explained everything I wanted to know.
    Actually, it was a typo, I did not want to mean Mayfair. I wanted to write Mayfield.

Thank you,
    loveireland94

p.s - How do you close a thread?

Hello Actually, it was a typo, I did not want to mean Mayfair. I wanted to write Mayfield.

p.s - How do you close a thread?

I know ;-)

You don't need to close threads they're always useful to anyone who wants to ask a related question or offer their opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 loveireland94

On a related note, I happened to see a list on the lateral surface of a bus.
    It was written that an adult single run fare is 1.60€ with the Leap Card.

I do not really get it. When I get on a bus and have to pay the ticket in cash, I am charged 2,10€ one-way.
    If I instead used the Leap Card [most likely, the Red-Zone Leap Card] I would not need to pay anything since I have already bought a monthly pass, which I just need to place it on the drivers ticket machine. I do not have any deduction since I can use the Leap Card within the Red Zone for as long as I want, within 30 days.

Maybe is the 1,60 cost referred to a Travel card? Actually, what is the difference? I have never picked up the pay-as-you-go, even if I suspect that there is a difference also between a Travel card and a pay-as-you-go ticket type.

Tell me if I had better open a new thread, just in case.

Thank you,
    loveireland94

Yes when you have a Leap Card is €1.60 per go you top up your account via a shop or the app. This is the pay as you go price with a leap card you need to have money on your account to pay that price. YOU NEED A LEEP CARD WITH CASH ON YOUR CARD.

€2.10 is the cash pay as you go price you DO NOT NEED A LEEP CARD FOR THIS.

You can also buy a bus pass if needed. Eg a Red or a Green. I buy a Green as i work in the airport. EG covers more of the city.

Red and Green mean passes. Red is inter city. Green is intercity and outer city.
    Red Zone Month* €82.40
    Red & Green Zone Month*

Once this is loaded on your card the bus pass you tap getting on and thats it and comes up on the reader on the bus. EG Green Monthly Bus Pass.

Cork_Leap_Card_A4.jpg

Here is the map showing you the zones in question and where you can go with it.

Leap cards are very very simple to use you top up like you would your phone and you get to use it for 30 days from the day you have paid from.

1.60 is what you pay if you don't have a ticket on the card which covers the journey. It takes it from travel credit you load onto the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,336 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Looking at the map, is the train included in it? I'm assuming it is, although stop looks outside the coloured part. I've seen people use the card, so will go back to that way now. It'll save me a nice bit of money each month tbh.

EDIT: I should add, station is Carrigtohill. Looking at website, am I able to add a monthly ticket or does it have to be done in a shop? Non-taxsaver too.

Mushy wrote: »
    Looking at the map, is the train included in it? I'm assuming it is, although stop looks outside the coloured part. I've seen people use the card, so will go back to that way now. It'll save me a nice bit of money each month tbh.

EDIT: I should add, station is Carrigtohill. Looking at website, am I able to add a monthly ticket or does it have to be done in a shop? Non-taxsaver too.

You can get a pass for the train u think it's about 130 euros for a none tax saver

• Registered Users Posts: 21,336 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

You can get a pass for the train u think it's about 130 euros for a none tax saver

This is what I see on thte site:

"Red & Green Zone Month* €102.30 €84.00 €57.70"

Does that zone include the rail? From the picture, Carrigtohill is off the coloured part, tis only reason I'm asking. Normal monthly is 120 anyway, so be poor if was pricier.

Advertisement