Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quiet pubs in Limerick City recommendations

• 20-09-2016 2:15pm

Hi All,

Sorry if I'm creating a duplicate thread, or if I'm in the wrong place, but I couldn't find what I was looking for elsewhere.

I'm going to Limerick in a couple of weeks, with a few friends and a couple of our fathers (early 60s)
    We'd like to go out for some drinks on the Friday night, but none of the elder men in our group would be keen on standing for the night, or having to shout over each other.
    I've been on Trip Advisor looking for recommendations, but I was hoping to get some local knowledge from you all as well.

Could you recommend some pubs, where we could go in at around 9 o'clock on a Friday evening, and mostly likely get a table or a ledge, and have some pints of Guinness and a chat.

From what I found online, these places look like the best places:
    Nancy Blakes
    Myles Breens Bar
    Micky Martins

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

At 9pm Nancy's should be ok. If it's much later it's noisy and heaving with drunks.

South's might be worth considering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

A couple of miles out the corbally road there's a pub on the right at Larkin's cross. It doesn't even have a TV. Can be busy there on a Friday night with locals. But you'd have no trouble having a chat.

zulutango wrote: »
    At 9pm Nancy's should be ok. If it's much later it's noisy and heaving with drunks.

South's might be worth considering.

Greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Garry123

Mother Macs on High St (approx 200m from Nancys) is a popular yet quiet pub. No TV, good pints.
    Flannerys on Shannon St, next to Myles Breens.
    Timmy Martins, Sarsfield St
    Michael Flannerys (small front bar, no TV) between Nancys and M Macs

Garry123 wrote: »
    Mother Macs on High St (approx 200m from Nancys) is a popular yet quiet pub. No TV, good pints.
    Flannerys on Shannon St, next to Myles Breens.
    Timmy Martins, Sarsfield St
    Michael Flannerys (small front bar, no TV) between Nancys and M Macs

Excellent. Thanks a million.
    Should be able to find an enjoyable spot between all of these recommendations.
    Thanks again

• Advertisement

Just outside the city centre you have Bobby Byrnes, South's, Glen Tavern, Charlie Malone's, Sextons, the windmill and Fennessys but that's further out again. All fine quiet pubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Myles Breens,
    JJ Bowles,
    Flannerys (next door to Myles Breens)
    Squire McGuires (just around the block from Breens and Flannerys)
    Souths is also a good shout, but its a bit far from anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I've noticed that Myles Breen's and Flannery's on Shannon Street can be very noisy at weekends. Tom Collins too. I've started avoiding them myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Don't want to hijack thread but does anyone know if Mother Macs is wheelchair accesible? I can't remember any steps through the door last time I was there but just wanted to double check.

Only steps are

1 outside footpath

2 internal step to bathrooms

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Garry123 wrote:
    2 internal step to bathrooms

Could work around that I guess. Thanks Garry123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Patsy Flannerys and Rashers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,277 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nancy's or Micky Martins are the last places I'd be going for a quiet pint especially on a Friday night. They could well be quiet at 9 but come 9.30 they could easily be mobbed.

As others have suggested the likes of South's, Flannery's, Breen's, etc would be quieter and also more suited to an age group of early 60s too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Tom Collins on Cecil Street

Fennesseys on South Circular Road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,059 ✭✭✭893bet

Bobby Byrnes and Souths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Tom Collins on Cecil Street

Fennesseys on South Circular Road

Tom Collins would be too loud I'd imagine and not alot of seating either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭black & white

Souths or Willie Sextons will be fine, went into both after recent concerts in Mary I and easily got seats. That was 10.00/10.30 on Fri or Sat nights. Sextons was a bit too quiet for me TBH but the pints etc were fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭Txatxu Urki

nancys not a good idea after 9pm on a friday night, too busy
    mother macs just up from nancys (formerly the round house) is a good option, no music or tvs ..if you can get a seat
    souths at other end of town normally a good place for chatting and usually ok to secure seating
    the glen is another option

Thanks for all the feedback everyone

Mother Macs or Souths seem like the best options

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Thanks for all the feedback everyone

Mother Macs or Souths seem like the best options

Nice set up in Mother Macs. Proper pint and a chat - type of pub. I used to work with one of the owners, James. He and his brother Mike (co owner) are top lads. Glad to see the place doing well.

Must stop in for a pint myself.
    See what's on the rotational tap(s).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Fennessy's on SC Road is a lovely pub and is usually nice and quiet, bit outside the inner city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Mick Flannery's (across from the Icon) has a lovely, if small, front bar, with a great selection of whiskey and some nice beers on tap. You could start there and head to Mother Mac's, which is only a few paces away, then down to Nancy's if you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

A couple of miles out the corbally road there's a pub on the right at Larkin's cross. It doesn't even have a TV. Can be busy there on a Friday night with locals. But you'd have no trouble having a chat.

Some fun getting a taxi back. South's is great but its a bit of a walk.

Thanks again everyone.
    Going to go to Souths on Friday night. Does anyone know what time they stop serving at?

Also, to ask for your help again, the Saturday is going to be a different kettle of fish.
    Going to have a much larger, younger crowd down for a stag (all in our 30s). Looking for somewhere central to watch the All Ireland.
    To be honest, the crowd that will be there are all normal lads. We're not looking to cause a scene, or bother anyone, but we do have big numbers, so I was hoping to find a friendly place, that wont mind big numbers (looking at around 26)
    There wont be any outfits/wacky t-shirts, or anything that makes us stand out, apart from the numbers

If anyone can recommend somewhere, and possibly recommend a good night club for the end of the night.

Thanks again for all of your help

Thanks again everyone.
    Going to go to Souths on Friday night. Does anyone know what time they stop serving at?

Also, to ask for your help again, the Saturday is going to be a different kettle of fish.
    Going to have a much larger, younger crowd down for a stag (all in our 30s). Looking for somewhere central to watch the All Ireland.
    To be honest, the crowd that will be there are all normal lads. We're not looking to cause a scene, or bother anyone, but we do have big numbers, so I was hoping to find a friendly place, that wont mind big numbers (looking at around 26)
    There wont be any outfits/wacky t-shirts, or anything that makes us stand out, apart from the numbers

If anyone can recommend somewhere, and possibly recommend a good night club for the end of the night.

Thanks again for all of your help

The Outback in Nancy Blakes, smoking area / beer garden with retractable roof and multiple TVs for sport. Good bottles in the fridge, do try a pint of Harris Pale Ale by Treaty City, brewed about a mile from Nancys.

Too old for night clubs so can't help.

The Outback in Nancy Blakes, smoking area / beer garden with retractable roof and multiple TVs for sport. Good bottles in the fridge, do try a pint of Harris Pale Ale by Treaty City, brewed about a mile from Nancys.

Too old for night clubs so can't help.

Presume most spots will be busy for the game. Sounds like a fine spot for it though. Will give it a look, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

testicles wrote: »

Thanks for the heads up. We'll be arriving in taxis, so shouldn't be too much of a problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Flannerys just up the road from Nancys might be a better bet, they have a projector for the big games, and there is loads of space (and tables/chairs) to accomodate big numbers.

Advertisement