Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scary/Unpleasant Experience...

Options
  • 20-09-2016 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

So I am currently going to college once a week in Dublin City and my course ends at 09:30PM so it is dark and getting later into the night by the time i'm on the path on the way to my bus stop.
    It takes me 10 minutes to get to my bus stop from my college which isn't the worst I suppose but considering last night was my first night to ever walk ALONE at that hour of the night in Dublin City, it was quite interesting but scary... (Might sound ridiculous but that's how I feel...)

I was stopped by people which I will describe as drug addicts (You could clearly tell) and one of them in particular kept asking me for money and me being silly old me stopped to actually engage with them... (Never again will I ever do that...) It all just happened so fast as they got me on the spot!! I just said "Sorry i've no cash on me" and he said "STOP LIEING TO ME!!!!" and so I just aborted the whole conversation and walked as fast as I could to the bus stop while trying to rush past everyone else in front of me who were walking 1 mile an hour...
    I saw all sorts on my way to the bus stop but had to try my best to avoid eye contact.. My heart was literally in my mouth!!...

Has anyone any tips/advice on what to do in certain situations like this?
    I genuinely feel at risk and unsafe... Not much you can do though I suppose.. At least there is other people around but still...

Thanks in advance!:eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

jamie124 wrote: »
    So I am currently going to college once a week in Dublin City and my course ends at 09:30PM so it is dark and getting later into the night by the time i'm on the path on the way to my bus stop.
    It takes me 10 minutes to get to my bus stop from my college which isn't the worst I suppose but considering last night was my first night to ever walk ALONE at that hour of the night in Dublin City, it was quite interesting but scary... (Might sound ridiculous but that's how I feel...)

I was stopped by people which I will describe as drug addicts (You could clearly tell) and one of them in particular kept asking me for money and me being silly old me stopped to actually engage with them... (Never again will I ever do that...) It all just happened so fast as they got me on the spot!! I just said "Sorry i've no cash on me" and he said "STOP LIEING TO ME!!!!" and so I just aborted the whole conversation and walked as fast as I could to the bus stop while trying to rush past everyone else in front of me who were walking 1 mile an hour...
    I saw all sorts on my way to the bus stop but had to try my best to avoid eye contact.. My heart was literally in my mouth!!...

Has anyone any tips/advice on what to do in certain situations like this?
    I genuinely feel at risk and unsafe... Not much you can do though I suppose.. At least there is other people around but still...

Thanks in advance!:eek:
    Welcome to Dublin;)
    Don't engage, don't make eye contact. ...cross the road if need be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Look 100m down the road at all times. If there looks like there'll be hassle. Cross the road.

If someone steps in front of you to ask a Q and block your past, step around them and keep walking.

It's the same as any other major city.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Headphones can be useful.
    Don't make eye contact - walk briskly.
    What areas are you walking down?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭jamie124

whiskeyman wrote: »

I see... I walk down South Great Georges Street and up the Liffey in order to get the bus... It seemed okay on my way to college but coming out of it was quite an experience I must say...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

See if anyone else on the course is walking in the same general direction as yourself so you can walk with them?

• Advertisement

Simply Red wrote: »
    See if anyone else on the course is walking in the same general direction as yourself so you can walk with them?

Tried that, The majority of them drive in and out and so they go to the car park... The remainder of us get the bus but it's all different directions unfortunately :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Did you go via Temple Bar?

January wrote: »
    Did you go via Temple Bar?

I've no idea... Dame Street??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Also, keep your wits about you even if there are other normal people about, I've heard of people being robbed/hassled at bus stops with plenty of other people around

• Registered Users Posts: 15,962 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Can you take a bus on George's Street to somewhere nearer your own bus home? Lots of buses go down George's Street and some cross the river at O'Connell Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Keep the volume down low if you are wearing headphones somewhere you feel insecure though.

You will get used to walking around in a city - once you keep your wits about you, keep valuables away etc. you learn to avoid problems to the greatest extent possible.

If you are in dbs, I'm there on Mondays and Thursdays and ill walk up with you if your nervous

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Jee, so sorry to hear that, that's a horrible experience to have. Had a scary few minutes myself on Friday, just general comments and hassle from strangers, couldn't call a Hailo fast enough. I'd take up the offer to walk with someone just till you feel a bit more confident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I was a teenager in the 1970's, same thing used to happen to me when I had to walk home from youth club in the city at 10pm, only it was usually just drunks in those days, less threatening than druggies but still scared the hell out of me. Don't engage in any way, don't stop, avert your eyes, keep walking at a good pace, don't dawdle, don't take out your phone, and if you have earphones in, keep alert to noises around and behind you. If you look like you are on a mission they will lose interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Headphones usually deter them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

You'll be fine, you know now to ignore them, keep walking and avoid eye contact. The only people that would have any genuine reason to stop you might be lost tourists but given you don't seem familiar enough with the streets to give directions then just ignore everyone.

I've been living and working in the city centre for the best part of a decade now and never have any hassle walking around.

Wear headphones but I wouldn't have anything playing, it's always better to be able to hear your surroundings. Don't have your phone out either.

If you're going from Georges Street to the Liffey keep to main streets, Dame Street, Westmoreland Street.

If you're approached at the bus stop I find a quick grunt of 'no sorry' at them and look away usually gets rid. Be prepared to walk away if you need to but really it's unlikely for you to need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I've been living and working in the city centre for the best part of a decade now and never have any hassle walking around.

Went to school in the city centre, went to university in the city centre, work in the city centre, now live in the city centre so I've been commuting in and out since I was 12 and also never have had hassle. Just keep walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Ah jaysus, was probably just a one off.

Head down, keep walking. Thought you were going to say you were mugged or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Keep moving in a situation like that.

Don't stop and engage them especially if there is more than one person as they can orient themselves behind or to the side of you where you can't see what they are doing when you speak to another one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Don't ever give a reason either, I always just say "Sorry, no" as I continue walking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,847 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A fair few of the beggars have realised that some people will give them something out of guilt if they get challenging like this - there's another who shouts about "not having the decency" to reply to him. The chance of them doing something to you physically is minuscule.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Practice your Resting B!tch Face. ;) Some people have this gentle, passive face that just attracts chuggers, beggars and junkies.
    I'm generally given a wide berth because I naturally always look like I'll cut anyone who stops me. It's a very useful trait.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mydarkstar

As Cathmandoo said, wear headphones but don't play anything on them. Having them in will deter a lot of people from talking to you as they'll think you can't hear them, but having no music means you'll be tuned into the sounds around you.

Mostly, just keep your eyes open and see what's ahead of you. Cross the road if you see anything or anyone ahead that might look like it might be trouble/awkward. The less said to junkies the better - "no, sorry" will go better than "i'm sorry, I dont' have anything on me right now" as it just engages with them.

I've been 12 years living in the city centre and walking about it at all hours. However, there is one woman that none of the above works on - she flipping can't stand me and she's usually around near my home. She's followed me down the road on occassion, roaring and shouting that I'm an effin stingy b###h who won't give her anything and who do I think I am. One fun day she screamed how it was just for food and that I effin think it's for fags. I saw her later that day spending her cup of change on a naggin and some Johnny Blue in the corner shop :-)

Thanks for all of the tips everyone! They have really helped!.
    I was going to suggest to my Dad that he collects me outside my college or near enough to it as it is quite dodgy that time of night and to be brutally honest I would be s""""""g my pants walking to the bus stop at that hour! Now, it wouldn't be so bad if someone was with me... I told a few people about it and they said just keep walking aswell but to maybe get my Dad to collect me at that time of night..

I'll see what happens..
    Thanks again - any more tips/advice keep them coming!!
    :) x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

Are you male or female? If male, I think the best tactic is to just move with confidence and purpose, head up, looking ahead and walking at a fair pace. Just walk on by anyone trying to stop you and don't even look their way or say anything more than a 'sorry' if you really want to be polite. I'm quite average in terms of height and build, but in years and years of walking in Dublin at all hours of day and night, and in plenty of 'dodgy' areas, I don't think I've ever really felt unsafe and had very few serious attempts to stop me in my tracks, and I expect it's probably because I don't look like an easy or worthwhile target.

I'm not sure if this holds true for women as well, but I imagine a woman who looks confident and purposeful is probably less likely to be the target of hassle than one who looks nervous and vulnerable.

The only time I'd really be genuinely worried for my safety in Dublin is the odd time I'd run across a large pack of feral skangers in their teens-early 20s late in a fairly dark and isolated area. I've never once had this happen in the middle of the city centre though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

benjamin d wrote: »
    Practice your Resting B!tch Face.
    I'm generally given a wide berth because I naturally always look like I'll cut anyone who stops me. It's a very useful trait.

THIS. Especially if you're a woman. Once you have a face like thunder and a determined stride it deters a lot of people.

Years ago in college (when I was sweet and innocent) I had an enormous black man stop me on Henry Street one night at around 10pm to tell me that I was pretty and had beautiful hair. When I kept moving on he followed me the whole way down the street to my bus stop on Abbey Street. Not talking, just following me. Called a friend of mine on my phone while I was walking but I was ****ting myself the whole time. He disappeared once I reached the bus stop.

Are you male or female? If male, I think the best tactic is to just move with confidence and purpose, head up, looking ahead and walking at a fair pace. Just walk on by anyone trying to stop you and don't even look their way or say anything more than a 'sorry' if you really want to be polite. I'm quite average in terms of height and build, but in years and years of walking in Dublin at all hours of day and night, and in plenty of 'dodgy' areas, I don't think I've ever really felt unsafe and had very few serious attempts to stop me in my tracks, and I expect it's probably because I don't look like an easy or worthwhile target.

I'm not sure if this holds true for women as well, but I imagine a woman who looks confident and purposeful is probably less likely to be the target of hassle than one who looks nervous and vulnerable.

The only time I'd really be genuinely worried for my safety in Dublin is the odd time I'd run across a large pack of feral skangers in their teens-early 20s late in a fairly dark and isolated area. I've never once had this happen in the middle of the city centre though.

Yes, I'm male... I think i'll just have to keep walking with a serious face on me... and look straight ahead...

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    THIS. Especially if you're a woman. Once you have a face like thunder and a determined stride it deters a lot of people.

Years ago in college (when I was sweet and innocent) I had an enormous black man stop me on Henry Street one night at around 10pm to tell me that I was pretty and had beautiful hair. When I kept moving on he followed me the whole way down the street to my bus stop on Abbey Street. Not talking, just following me. Called a friend of mine on my phone while I was walking but I was ****ting myself the whole time. He disappeared once I reached the bus stop.

Yes the face tactic i'm sure is fairly good!... Wow! That must have been really scary! Fair play to you for walking on and acting natural! jeeze :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

jamie124 wrote: »
    Yes the face tactic i'm sure is fairly good!... Wow! That must have been really scary! Fair play to you for walking on and acting natural! jeeze :eek::eek:

Yeah properly scared the pants off poor little 18 year old bogger me. I was maybe 2 or 3 months after starting college in the big schmoke too. Thankfully it hasn't happened to me since. Probably coz of the bitchy resting face. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Agree with everyone else, just keep walking. Anyone who asks me for money when I'm in town gets either ignored or a flat 'no'. And don't worry that they're fixated on you in particular, they are operating a scattergun approach to weaselling money out of people, the more you hassle the more you'll get sort of a thing. Getting aggressive or 'why won't you help me' type sad is a tactic, you haven't annoyed anyone or upset them.

After a few weeks it'll be second nature to you :)

Advertisement