Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scary/Unpleasant Experience...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Simple thing, don't stop walking if someone's tries engage you, keep walking, say "sorry, say again?" By the time theyve repeated the question youre already past them, going "sorry, no"

These hoors have a script and you stopping is the first step in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭CaptainInsano

Just thought I'd post in this thread as I also had a sh1te experience. Walking the other day by Connolly Station , middle of the day around noon. And passed by 4 teenagers, may 17 or 18. As I passed one of them hit me on the back of the head with a half full coke bottle, it didn't hurt but the laughter was degrading enough to turn and walk back to ask what the problem was when it went from laughter to fairly extreme intimidation, surrounded me and right up in my face and calling me a fag got etc. I pushed passed them and was jeered all the way to the dart. Are those the only options, take the abuse and walk on ? Stand up for yourself and risk getting hurt? It's depressing sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,082 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Get a guy to walk with you. Don't wear revealing skirts so on.
    Surely someone guy is going that way too .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I hope he's not wearing revealing skirts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭CaptainInsano

How would not wearing a revealing skirt stop me getting a bottle to the back of the head?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

They are looking for a reaction. In future ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭jamie124

Hey Guys,
    Got hassled for about 50 seconds (haha) at the bus stop that I was waiting at last night for 10 minutes...
    This person (drug-addict clearly) kept asking me for change and asking and asking and I had to say "No,Sorry" then she proceeds to say "are you sorry? are ya? are ya? hahaha are ya sorry?" I ignored her and stared straight ahead and stood as tall as I could and she proceeded to ask other people and walked on... I was sh****g my pants!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,716 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

OP, it's very possible you're projecting something that says "easy target" to these people. I've been living in Dublin my entire life and have walked through town and waited at bus stops at far later hours than you're talking about and have literally never once been hassled. You need to work on your "Fcuk off" face.

Revealing skirt. What on earth.

People will hassle you for wearing a revealing skirt?

What decade is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,716 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Revealing skirt. What on earth.

People will hassle you for wearing a revealing skirt?

Plus there's the small matter of the OP being a guy.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Headphones can be useful.
    Don't make eye contact - walk briskly.
    What areas are you walking down?

I wouldn't recommend headphones, it's better to be aware of what's going on around you including the noises.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Just thought I'd post in this thread as I also had a sh1te experience. Walking the other day by Connolly Station , middle of the day around noon. And passed by 4 teenagers, may 17 or 18. As I passed one of them hit me on the back of the head with a half full coke bottle, it didn't hurt but the laughter was degrading enough to turn and walk back to ask what the problem was when it went from laughter to fairly extreme intimidation, surrounded me and right up in my face and calling me a fag got etc. I pushed passed them and was jeered all the way to the dart. Are those the only options, take the abuse and walk on ? Stand up for yourself and risk getting hurt? It's depressing sometimes.

Unfortunately I would say yes, the only option is to take the abuse and walk on. It's not worth risking your life, upsetting I know but at the end of day if you feel sorry for them for having such a sad way of life that might help. I've had someone spit on my back so I know what it's like but I've learned to have sympathy rather than anger and so keep walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

jamie124 wrote: »
    Hey Guys,
    Got hassled for about 50 seconds (haha) at the bus stop that I was waiting at last night for 10 minutes...
    This person (drug-addict clearly) kept asking me for change and asking and asking and I had to say "No,Sorry" then she proceeds to say "are you sorry? are ya? are ya? hahaha are ya sorry?" I ignored her and stared straight ahead and stood as tall as I could and she proceeded to ask other people and walked on... I was sh****g my pants!

That is generally what happens. They ask you for change and you say something like '"Sorry, I don't" and normally they just move onto the next person at the Bus Stop. Occasionally you get the extra what they would consider 'Banter' with the 'are you sorry' etc. It can be a bit intimidating but I find if you just ignore them as you did that they move on pretty quickly.

That's happened to me too, bottle thrown at my head, and I'm a very unimposing harmless looking woman. It didn't hurt so I kept going and didn't even acknowledge it. I reckon the only reason I never get any hassle is the speed and purpose I move through the city centre (any city centre) at. If I'm going somewhere, I'm damn well getting there and getting there as fast as I can! I'm sure people do try to ask me for change or engage me but I've been and gone before they register.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭jamie124

That is generally what happens. They ask you for change and you say something like '"Sorry, I don't" and normally they just move onto the next person at the Bus Stop. Occasionally you get the extra what they would consider 'Banter' with the 'are you sorry' etc. It can be a bit intimidating but I find if you just ignore them as you did that they move on pretty quickly.

Yeah that's exactly what I did.. It's a little scary as I though something was going to happen to me! and something bad!, Baring in mind that this was at 09:40PM! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

Dublin can be a fairly gritty and thick skinned place.Especially in the late evening.OP if you come across as nervous or anxious then people like that will have a field day.You have to come across as relaxed as possible because if you are fearful then people will sense that fear and see you as an easy target.I don't mean to cause offense OP when i say that you do come across as a person who shouldn't be allowed leave the house without supervision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

Pick up the bottle and bounce it off the biggest ones head and then ask the others for change to pay your fare and say you know they have it cos you saw them begging all day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

Ah op, what really needs to happen here is you need to harden up a bit. You obviously look meek. You obviously look like a target. I'm female and in the 12 or so years that I've been in the city centre at all hours I've never had a problem.

Don't wear headphones, they'll only dull your perception of your surroundings. Head up, shoulders back, chest out a bit. Square your jaw and just say "no" and ignore. Don't bother with sorry, I'm not sorry I don't have change for them. Practice in front of a mirror if you have to. Really you just need to project an air of "fcuk off". And leave your phone and wallet in a secure pocket.

Advertisement