Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rally for action on cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

fat bloke wrote: »
    Wonder what kind of turnout they'll get.

Well, I guess I can stop wondering

*insert tumbleweed smiley*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

fat bloke wrote: »
    http://www.thebikecomesfirst.com/rally-for-action-on-cycling-to-take-place-in-dublin-this-wednesday/

Timing is a bit nuts. One o clock on a Wednesday?

I'd go and bring my kids, but it's on at one o clock. On Wednesday. :(

Wonder what kind of turnout they'll get.

I guess they're trying to get city centre-based people on their lunch break.

I might head over if I can get free at that time. Anyone else on here heading over?

Will have to see if I can get a pitchfork somewhere........

dragon_rock_sml2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

yeah i think i probably will. i always say i should support these things but rarely do!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I'll try and get along, but I won't be able to get there before a little after two (picking up kids from school), and I suspect it'll be over by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Will have to see if I can get a pitchfork somewhere........

dragon_rock_sml2.jpg

You've given the word mob a bad name :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

I'm hoping to be there. And I think Tomasrojo said s/he would too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Yep will try and attend too.

That's a bit of an odd map actually, in that the cycle is supposed to end at the Department of Transport (and Sport or whatever), but that's on Kildare Street, not south-east of Stephen's Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

It's actually located on Leeson Lane off Leeson Street, so the map looks correct.

I would love to attend but have a lunchtime meeting tomorrow so won't be able to go.

• Advertisement

Ah really? The official website said 44 Kildare Street. Good stuff.

I might be able to get to Leeson Lane by ten past two. I'll try that.

I assume this is the first rally of many; next one will be on a Saturday at 5 and people will grumble because no one would cycle into town on a Saturday!

Be there at City Hall today at 1pm, Dail at 1.30 or Department of Transport at Leeson Lane at 1.45, or be square (-wheeled).

We could have Dublin like Vancouver

https://vimeo.com/183441272

(though with less rain; Vancouver has double our rain).

Chuchote wrote: »

Wow - that is impressive.

Still hoping to get over to this today - trying to drag a couple of cycling colleagues with me but we are very busy in work so not getting much enthusiasm from them.

I'm rockin' the Boards kit today so do say hi if you see me.

I look like an ambulant Battenburg cake, so say hi if you see me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

Critical M(iddle cl)ass?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I'll be wearing this (though slightly curvier)...

86466.jpg

Then again, looking at the Rain Radar, I might be wearing this over it...
    altura-etape-gilet-red-EV195938-3000-1.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

poochiem wrote: »
    Critical M(iddle cl)ass?
    ah dear, that's irish times letters territory there.

It would be great to get a good mass of cyclists on this first rally, get the movement for proper cycleways off to a good start.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Don't get me wrong, i fully want better infrastructure for cyclists, I think for a fairly small country, with relatively small cities and travelling distance more should be done to have people commute by bike at the very least....

but, I'd feel like an @rse going along and taking part in this when I've done nothing for what are presently far more important causes before this becomes a bleak cesspit of a country (if it is not already). I'll have to merely vocally support it from where I am and when in conversation with skeptics.

Chapeau to those in attendance all the same, as I imagine they give their time over for several causes and this is just another worthy one in a long list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Any updates/pics from the rally? I couldn't make it :(

• Advertisement

jon1981 wrote: »

A reasonable turnout I think, no idea of numbers, I had to leave after the first stop on Dawson St though, would have been better if we just continued on to the final destination rather than stopping for speeches that were preaching to the converted! Have just had a work colleague tell me that I don't have the same rights on the road as cars do because I don't pay road tax....:(:(:( Oh and a taxi driver cut me off on the way over. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Spotted this at lunchtime. Seemed a bit smiley and happy for an angry mob to be honest.

I saw someone in full Boards.ie kit on a black Cube chatting to someone in a hi-vis jacket just behind the breakaway group. Just chatting, not flailing at, or swinging at, just chatting. Weird!

I wasn't able to take part this afternoon as I didn't fancy the pan flat sprint finish. I prefer a bit of a ramp, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

check_six wrote: »
    I wasn't able to take part this afternoon as I didn't fancy the pan flat sprint finish. I prefer a bit of a ramp, to be honest.

And herein lies the problem. The CX'ers want cycle infrastructure to include mud banks. The MTB'ers want it to include winding paths with a few tree roots. The roadies want beautifully smooth tarmac with no bus stops, driveways or joggers to break the rhythm.

We don't know what we want! :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Couldn't get over due to work commitments. Glad to hear the mob was civilised. Will try to get to the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

Missed today's one because I had a driving lesson, (in case I have to go under cover and infiltrate the motor lobby at a later stage in the struggle).

An other one on 3 October
    https://twitter.com/kruddock/status/778575285243478016

Definitely think this should become a regular thing, after all Shane Ross's constituency is mostly suitable for bicycle commuting, so he probably has quite a few voters who cycle to work.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, i fully want better infrastructure for cyclists, I think for a fairly small country, with relatively small cities and travelling distance more should be done to have people commute by bike at the very least....

but, I'd feel like an @rse going along and taking part in this when I've done nothing for what are presently far more important causes before this becomes a bleak cesspit of a country (if it is not already). I'll have to merely vocally support it from where I am and when in conversation with skeptics.

Chapeau to those in attendance all the same, as I imagine they give their time over for several causes and this is just another worthy one in a long list.

OK, you're allowed to join the demo as long as you join the Repeal the 8th demo too, and donate to McVerry ;)

I'd say there were about 70 there. Won't be able to make the next one, but hopefully more will. And for those who are Ross constituents, maybe unroll a banner saying so.

jon1981 wrote: »

A very civilised affair it has to be said. I forgot the pitchfork which was probably a good thing as it wasn't that kind of gathering. The numbers seemed to fluctuate but I reckoned just over a hundred by the time we were on Kildare Street for the first of the speeches but we seemed to loose a few between there and the Dept of Transport offices.

I managed to drag a fellow roadie from the office - we were the only lycra-clad representatives. Was a bit like Rodney & Delboy turning up to the funeral dressed as Batman & Robin. When I attempted some humour by asking when the first food stop was or where the hell my domestique was, they just stared blankly at me. Lesson learned. Know your audience.

cdaly_ was there under-cover in his civvies and Chucote came dressed as a battenburg (very nice to meet you by the way young lady).

Pic from outside the DoT offices:

00EF2D37-6C71-4229-A7B1-03D9DAE4211B.jpg

Am I glad I went? Yes. Would I go again? Yes. Mighty oaks from little acorns grow.

I saw someone in full Boards.ie kit on a black Cube chatting to someone in a hi-vis jacket just behind the breakaway group. Just chatting, not flailing at, or swinging at, just chatting. Weird!

That was me. I felt duty-bound to bridge the divide. I might try talking to motorists next.

We made up for it on the way back to the office. Managed to get back sweaty & panting. I won. Obviously.

Obligatory stats from the ride:

7.5km with a moving time of 29:41 (including the run out and back from work). A vertigo-inducing 22m climbed. Forgot my heart rate strap so no HR stats I'm afraid.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I saw someone in full Boards.ie kit on a black Cube chatting to someone in a hi-vis jacket just behind the breakaway group.
    When I attempted some humour by asking when the first food stop was or where the hell my domestique was, they just stared blankly at me. Lesson learned. Know your audience.

You clearly should have tried to bridge over to the breakaway group, that would have shown them ;)

I managed to drag a fellow roadie from the office - we were the only lycra-clad representatives. Was a bit like Rodney & Delboy turning up to the funeral dressed as Batman & Robin. When I attempted some humour by asking when the first food stop was or where the hell my domestique was, they just stared blankly at me. Lesson learned. Know your audience.

Ha ha you weren't alone, I spotted 3 other lycra clad dudes :p I didn't bother to change back into my cycling gear so went in office gear with high viz jacket. I did speak to you but didn't introduce myself ('Hey I'm firedance' :o) Hopefully we can get a few more of these going in the coming weeks and months, you never know, some actual good might come of it!

• Advertisement

Firedance wrote: »
    Ha ha you weren't alone, I spotted 3 other lycra clad dudes :p I didn't bother to change back into my cycling gear so went in office gear with high viz jacket. I did speak to you but didn't introduce myself ('Hey I'm firedance' :o) Hopefully we can get a few more of these going in the coming weeks and months, you never know, some actual good might come of it!

Ah, were you the chap in civvies on the (other) Cube road bike that I had the conversation about taking the KOM?!

Advertisement