Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rally for action on cycling

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Ah, were you the chap in civvies on the (other) Cube road bike that I had the conversation about taking the KOM?!

But I'm a lady :P nope, the conversation about 'pedestrians' and us not being a homogeneous group...short n sweet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

First stop (kildare St)

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

Chuchote wrote: »
    OK, you're allowed to join the demo as long as you join the Repeal the 8th demo too, and donate to McVerry ;)

I'd say there were about 70 there. Won't be able to make the next one, but hopefully more will. And for those who are Ross constituents, maybe unroll a banner saying so.

I'm not one, but I think I could pass for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Firedance wrote: »
    But I'm a lady :P nope, the conversation about 'pedestrians' and us not being a homogeneous group...short n sweet!

Oops - sorry! I do remember our conversation - you are most definitely not a chap! :o

Nice to meet you too!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Chuchote wrote: »
    I assume this is the first rally of many; next one will be on a Saturday at 5 and people will grumble because no one would cycle into town on a Saturday!

Be there at City Hall today at 1pm, Dail at 1.30 or Department of Transport at Leeson Lane at 1.45, or be square (-wheeled).

We could have Dublin like Vancouver

https://vimeo.com/183441272

(though with less rain; Vancouver has double our rain).

They are all cycling at a safe speed also, in one line instead of two bikes across a cycle lane, so people can use it both ways!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

They are all cycling at a safe speed also, in one line instead of two bikes across a cycle lane, so people can use it both ways!!
    Quite literally the opposite, funnily enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

poochiem wrote: »
    Quite literally the opposite, funnily enough!

We wont see this in Ireland for sure. Too much forward thinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

smacl wrote: »
    You clearly should have tried to bridge over to the breakaway group, that would have shown them ;)

Ah look, if Rogue had dragged a load of them over to the breakaway, someone would have got him in the sprint. Better let the rest of them sweat on how to pull back the break, and if they make the move, then Rogue could concentrate on getting to the line first without being out of gas from a chase. If they leave the break go, well, just go out and win another day! #SeanKellytactics

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I am one of his constituents, hopefully get to see him over the next month, might try and hi jack him mid conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I got to Leeson Lane at a quarter past two and everyone was gone, bar three people from the Dublin Cycling Campaign, who seemed happy enough with the turnout. Guts of a hundred turned up, they told me, which chimes with reports here.

There's another one scheduled for Monday the 3rd of October at five in the evening. I'll try to make that, and probably will, as will have got kid collection out of the way in plenty of time, unlike today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Is Raleigh, the bicycle manufacturer, a sponsor of the movement Raleigh-for-action?
    If not, why is it spelled Raleigh?

http://irishcycle.com/2016/09/19/lunchtime-cycle-to-raleigh-for-action-at-minister-rosss-office/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I see there is an article on The Journal about today

Brother of cyclist killed in collision pays tribute to sister at Dublin protest
    http://jrnl.ie/2990528

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Is Raleigh, the bicycle manufacturer, a sponsor of the movement Raleigh-for-action?
    If not, why is it spelled Raleigh?

http://irishcycle.com/2016/09/19/lunchtime-cycle-to-raleigh-for-action-at-minister-rosss-office/

I just presumed it was a pun on words. Alot of cyclists and non cyclists will remember Raleigh as the brand from their youth. Might stir up some positive sentiment. It could also just have been a mistake but I like to think that is was a clever PR idea.

cdaly_ was there under-cover in his civvies and Chucote came dressed as a battenburg.

Look what I found on social media somewhere..........

67ACEF6D-0AD9-4B41-A18A-E795A368B4CE.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I see there is an article on The Journal about today

Brother of cyclist killed in collision pays tribute to sister at Dublin protest
    http://jrnl.ie/2990528
    The group is calling for a 10% increase in transport funding for walking and cycling.

Isn't the call for 10% of the transport budget to be allocated to walking and cycling? That's a hell of a lot more than a 10% increase on current spending!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Isn't the call for 10% of the transport budget to be allocated to walking and cycling? That's a hell of a lot more than a 10% increase on current spending!!

Yeah, thats what it is. The government wants 10% of people to walk and cycle rather than sitting in cars or buses; the cycling campaign is therefore asking for 10% of the transport budget to go to walking paths and cycleways.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

It will be interesting to see if the Govt obesity strategy to be launched today picks up on cycling as a huge opportunity to get kids and adults exercising as part of their daily routine. I won't be holding my breath....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

It will be interesting to see if the Govt obesity strategy to be launched today picks up on cycling as a huge opportunity to get kids and adults exercising as part of their daily routine. I won't be holding my breath....

Just expect to pay 0.20c more for a can of coke because that's what is making everyone fat, the price of coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Schrodingercat

Ah, were you the chap in civvies on the (other) Cube road bike that I had the conversation about taking the KOM?!

@City hall?. I think that was me. I didn't think it was the right kind of crowd for cycling gear so went in my shirt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Someone's been reading my posts;

https://twitter.com/lorcansirr/status/778875052687290368

So there are just a couple of short references to cycling in the findings within the new policy, and absolutely no actions related to cycling or no actions relating to transport at all, as far as I can see. Shameful.

http://health.gov.ie/blog/publications/a-healthy-weight-for-ireland-obesity-policy-and-action-plan-2016-2025/

• Advertisement

@City hall?. I think that was me. I didn't think it was the right kind of crowd for cycling gear so went in my shirt.

Yep, you were right - it wasn't the right kind of crowd for cycling gear!! That said, I guess I was glad that most cycling 'genres' were represented.

Yep, you were right - it wasn't the right kind of crowd for cycling gear!! That said, I guess I was glad that most cycling 'genres' were represented.

Jayus lads, many of us have several different bikes never mind several different outfits. Next protest is at 17.30 on 3 October. Who shall I come as 'early stage Mamil', 'Beardy MTBer', 'suited wage slave on a Dublin bike' ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Jayus lads, many of us have several different bikes never mind several different outfits. Next protest is at 17.30 on 3 October. Who shall I come as 'early stage Mamil', 'Beardy MTBer', 'suited wage slave on a Dublin bike' ?

Hell on Wheels, surely, given your username :cool:

Beardy MTBer please, it was the only one of your three options missing at the last rally.

(Well, you did ask...........!! ;))

Beardy MTBer please, it was the only one of your three options missing at the last rally.

(Well, you did ask...........!! ;))

May require a quick spin out to Phoenix Park in advance in order to acquire the regulation coat of mud.

More details of the next protest here

protest_cycling_facebook_post_v2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Here's the Facebook event page for the protest next Monday.

Invite your friends.

Spread the word.

https://www.facebook.com/events/123458598114678/

Advertisement