Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oh joy... yet another beginner homebrew thread..

Options
  • 20-09-2016 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭

Hello everyone,

While I know there is a FAQ at the top of the forum, and I do intend on reading it, I thought it would be better to just put some of my own questions out there ahead of my first homebrew attempt.

So I basically ordered this starter kit which includes:
    48 Coopers Ox Bar bottles
    Hydrometer
    Trial jar
    LCD thermometer
    Paddle
    Steriliser
    Fermenter with tap and airlock
    1 kg of Brewing sugar
    Simply Pale Ale

I also ordered a no-rinse sterilizer... there was no stock of StarSan so picked up Oxi P15 instead of it - which was recommended.

With this, I've also picked up a good 13L easy-pour bucket for water - as herein lies my first question.

1. Brewing with tap-water? I did read somewhere that someone recommended filling a large bucket and leaving it out overnight to try and let any chemicals which may be present evaporate. Any thoughts on this?

Also, I've actually spotted a home-brewing step-by-step vid on YouTube, as above, in which he's dealing with the same extract kit I'm getting (Simply Pale Ale).. so I'm planning to follow that somewhat but another question from that:

(Am going on the assumption this guy knows what he's doing BTW!)

2. Brew Enhancer? Recommended or not? Video above seems to add it, but I'm unsure if it's necessary.

Other three items I'm intending on picking up are:

- a decent room thermometer (finding these hard to find in B&M stores - as they're either ones geared at children's rooms, or they're outdoor thermometers) as need to find a room as a fairly optimum temp. Was thinking of under the stairs but possibly too warm, or the back-hall but possibly too cold! :)
    - a bottle brush (probably have a look in Mothercare or something for this)
    - a good spray bottle for the P15

Oh, while I'm on the topic of bottles, I get 48 x Cooper Ox Bar bottles. Are they easily capped (screw-on) or would it be worth picking up a bottle capper?

Essentially, my reading so far has been very basic but I'm not planning on rush into it and will spend another week or two reading various resources online to try and get my head around things.

All I've learned so far is how important sterilisation and ideal temperature's are really.

Many thanks for listening to my brain-dump on the topic, but apologies for yet another "beginner home-brew thread!"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Basq wrote: »

1. Brewing with tap-water? I did read somewhere that someone recommended filling a large bucket and leaving it out overnight to try and let any chemicals which may be present evaporate. Any thoughts on this?

Depends of the quality of your water really. I have always used tap water but it is very clean supply and doesn't taste of anything. I had a glass at a friends house recently and it tasted like dirt!

- a decent room thermometer (finding these hard to find in B&M stores - as they're either ones geared at children's rooms, or they're outdoor thermometers) as need to find a room as a fairly optimum temp. Was thinking of under the stairs but possibly too warm, or the back-hall but possibly too cold! :)

I've never used a room thermometer or a brew belt. If I'm not cold in a room then it's fine for fermentation. Obviously the temp can vary with the seasons but all this means for me is a change in the length of fermentation time. My actual biggest issues is finding a cold enough room after secondary fermentation in the keg. My beer is not chilled enough for some people's tastes. I don't mind though as it's mostly ale and I was going to loose my mind if I had to keep up the bottling:)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭Basq

mordeith wrote: »
    Depends of the quality of your water really. I have always used tap water but it is very clean supply and doesn't taste of anything. I had a glass at a friends house recently and it tasted like dirt!
    Yeah, I've never gotten a taste off my water so it's probably fine.. but suppose I'd rather be safe than sorry. My first brew will probably come straight from tap so.
    I've never used a room thermometer or a brew belt. If I'm not cold in a room then it's fine for fermentation. Obviously the temp can vary with the seasons but all this means for me is a change in the length of fermentation time. My actual biggest issues is finding a cold enough room after secondary fermentation in the keg. My beer is not chilled enough for some people's tastes. I don't mind though as it's mostly ale and I was going to loose my mind if I had to keep up the bottling:)
    Yeah, as I mentioned - was initially thinking of under my stairs, as it's out of the way, but that's at the back of my sitting room which will have a stove (once the colder weather hits) on most evenings. So I reckon it'll probably vary in temps too much.

And the back hall is a bit colder and drafter as I've a PVC back door...

I've quite a warm house - terraced house between 2 other houses with a timber frame. So the thermometer will be more to try and keep on eye on temperature shifts.

What should be the ideal temp for secondary fermentation, or is it personal preference? My back hall could potentially be the best bet there.. it's cooler but not what I'd call too cold - maybe winter could be a different story.

What should be the ideal temp for secondary fermentation, or is it personal preference? My back hall could potentially be the best bet there.. it's cooler but not what I'd call too cold - maybe winter could be a different story.

I've usually left the keg in the kitchen in both summer and winter. Warmest room in both seasons with the heating on in Winter and off in summer. Just leave it for a day to get the fermentation started then shift to under the stairs where it's the coolest part of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

To be honest I'd say the 1kg of brewing sugar will give you a worse off flavour than the water will. It will probabily give you an apple flavour and make the beer very thin. I'd use a kg of DME instead, boil it for 10-15 min to sterilise then add it to the brew. In regards to temp, I'd always go for a colder room rather than a warmer one.

macnug wrote: »
    To be honest I'd say the 1kg of brewing sugar will give you a worse off flavour than the water will. It will probabily give you an apple flavour and make the beer very thin. I'd use a kg of DME instead, boil it for 10-15 min to sterilise then add it to the brew. In regards to temp, I'd always go for a colder room rather than a warmer one.
    Interesting!

The beer kit does recommend either 1kg of brewing sugar, or 1kg of the beer enhancer (see step #5 below):

Screen_Shot_2016_09_20_at_20_45_27.png

So I obviously get the brewing sugar free.. so is it worth skipping that entirely and using DME? There also seems to be a Light and Dark DME - recommendations?

• Advertisement

If it's your first brew then just use the sugar. Getting your process right is the main thing when starting out. No need to complicate it. You'll have a perfectly drinkable beer using sugar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

If it's your first brew then just use the sugar. Getting your process right is the main thing when starting out. No need to complicate it. You'll have a perfectly drinkable beer using sugar.

I disagree with this a bit, there's no point in getting the process spot on if the beer is going to taste like gone off cider and discourage the new brewer from going again.

I'd definitely leave the brewing sugar (it's glucose, that's all) and go with some DME (get the light or extra light, you don't want to darken your Pale Ale). Use the brewing sugar for priming before bottling imo, you use less and it won't impart it's off flavours.

The "Brew Enhancer" is actually DME itself, but using a light DME will give a bit more body and flavour imo.

Don't worry too much about your fermentation temps, you'll almost certainly be using SafAle US05 Yeast or a variant of it, which is a pretty robust yeast really, just make sure you aren't over 20c, 22 at a push - ideally something like 17/18c should see you right.

One tip with the yeast is to make a couple of hundred mls of wort before you start the brew process (water + dme/brewing sugar boiled for 10 minutes and allowed to cool back to room temp), put the yeast packet into this about a half hour before you need to put it in your brew - this enables the yeast to get a bit of a head start, and you can see that it's actually taking off.

On to the water. Where do you live? Most Irish water is treated with chlorine, which can turn to chloramines and off flavours, you might even be so used to the flavour that you no longer even taste it yourself at home. Best advice is to use half a campden tablet before brewing (leaving a bucket of water out overnight is risky for kit brewing imo as you are never boiling the full volume of water).

The Coopers bottles are screw cap afaik, stick with them for your first brew.

Sterilize, sterilize, sterilize. Sterilize your fermenter, sterilize your equipment, sterilize your bottle caps and bottles, sterilize everything.

Welcome to brewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Basq wrote:
    The beer kit does recommend either 1kg of brewing sugar, or 1kg of the beer enhancer (see step #5 below):

I never understood this tbh, why do some beer kit makers recommend sugar when they know its an inferior product? I made my first brew as per instructions as well and it nearly put me off homebrewing for life, found it pretty undrinkable but everybodys taste buds are different. Luckily I found extract and all grain brewing before giving up.

As far as I remember the brew enhancer is a mix of DME, sugar and maltodextrin as would be better than using sugar alone.

I disagree with this a bit, there's no point in getting the process spot on if the beer is going to taste like gone off cider and discourage the new brewer from going again.

I'd definitely leave the brewing sugar (it's glucose, that's all) and go with some DME (get the light or extra light, you don't want to darken your Pale Ale). Use the brewing sugar for priming before bottling imo, you use less and it won't impart it's off flavours.

The "Brew Enhancer" is actually DME itself, but using a light DME will give a bit more body and flavour imo.
    Yeah.. I'm leaning towards using some sort of DME the more I look at it. Read a few great tutorials over at Beoir.org yesterday and they seemed to push it also.
    Don't worry too much about your fermentation temps, you'll almost certainly be using SafAle US05 Yeast or a variant of it, which is a pretty robust yeast really, just make sure you aren't over 20c, 22 at a push - ideally something like 17/18c should see you right.
    I think I've been focusing on trying to find somewhere that'll stay stable in the highest temps 22c - 25c.. but the more I read, it seems to indicate too warm is far worse ("funky flavours" has been the term I've seen thrown around) than cold.
    One tip with the yeast is to make a couple of hundred mls of wort before you start the brew process (water + dme/brewing sugar boiled for 10 minutes and allowed to cool back to room temp), put the yeast packet into this about a half hour before you need to put it in your brew - this enables the yeast to get a bit of a head start, and you can see that it's actually taking off.
    Good tip.. I've seen a bit of a discussion as to whether to stir or not after you sprinkle the yeast in the top.. but not seen this mentioned! Will give this a shot.
    On to the water. Where do you live? Most Irish water is treated with chlorine, which can turn to chloramines and off flavours, you might even be so used to the flavour that you no longer even taste it yourself at home. Best advice is to use half a campden tablet before brewing (leaving a bucket of water out overnight is risky for kit brewing imo as you are never boiling the full volume of water).
    Live in Sligo.. have never noticed an off taste but you could be right to be honest.
    The Coopers bottles are screw cap afaik, stick with them for your first brew.
    Yeah, seen a few vids alright showing that.. but good to know. Also brown thankfully.
    macnug wrote: »
    I never understood this tbh, why do some beer kit makers recommend sugar when they know its an inferior product? I made my first brew as per instructions as well and it nearly put me off homebrewing for life, found it pretty undrinkable but everybodys taste buds are different. Luckily I found extract and all grain brewing before giving up.

As far as I remember the brew enhancer is a mix of DME, sugar and maltodextrin as would be better than using sugar alone.
    Cool - yep, definitely will avoid the sugar.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Definitely use the DME, it will give a much better finished product.

The Coopers bottles aren't great long term and they don't look as good either. You don't need a bottle capper for them though, they just have screw on lids.
    I'd try and start collecting brown 500ml bottles and get yourself a capper. A good practice to get into is to wash out any bottles you drink as soon as possible. I'd also not bother getting a bottle brush, any bottles needing scrubbed just get a good soak in bleachy water or get chucked in the recycling.

22c is far too warm, aim for 18-20c. Remember that when it is fermenting the yeast will be producing heat so the fermenter will be warmer than the room tempearture. One of the main causes of off flavours in homebrew is fermenting too hot so try it keep it low.

• Advertisement

irish_goat wrote: »
    22c is far too warm, aim for 18-20c. Remember that when it is fermenting the yeast will be producing heat so the fermenter will be warmer than the room tempearture. One of the main causes of off flavours in homebrew is fermenting too hot so try it keep it low.
    Have a Nest thermostat in my sitting room.. and even with no heating on, it's rarely going below 22c - 23c.

Though at the minute, I'm getting a reading of 20.5 from it - but it's quite a cold and wet day here.

I think I do need to suss out a ideal place for it alright.. I'm thinking the back hall as there's a gap under my gas boiler but it is next to the back door, which is PVC, so I'm definitely worried about it being a bit cold in the winter months.

Winter in Ireland is fine. You can wrap a duvet round the fermenter and it'll tick over fine.

Oh, and two more questions, with regards bottling:

1. Any thoughts on priming the bottle with regards carbonation drops vs sugar? Carbonation drops seem to be recommended due to their consistency (i.e an equal amount of carbonation in each bottle vs using a teaspoon of sugar), but that consistency comes with an added cost versus sugar.

2. Worth investing in a bottling wand? Presumably to limit air the beer is exposed to.

Get a bottling wand and a second Fermenter if possible, and batch prime; boil Xgrams of sugar in about 300ml of water, put it in the bottom of the second (sterilized) bucket and move the finished beer onto it (with as few bubbles as possible!), then bottle from there, using the bottling wand. some people do this with DME too, but use more DME than sugar.

Or else use one and a half carb drops per bottle, but getting them halved is a shítty job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

1. I'd also advise batch priming if you can manage it. It will allow you to dial in proper levels of carbonation much easier.

2. I couldn't imagine bottling without a wand. Makes life so much easier. Fill to the top and pull it out, the space that was occupied by the wand has now given you the perfect level of fill. Another tip is to squeeze the PET bottle after filling, until the level comes the whole way up, then screw your cap on. As the beer carbonates, the bottle will return to its original shape. This helps you to keep oxygen out of the bottle and it also gives you an indication of how well carbonated the bottle is. (hope I made sense there)

Just a word on fermentation temps. In my opinion, it's the most important factor in producing a tasty brew (good sanitation is a given of course). 18ºC should be your goal for at least 4-5 days. Make every effort to keep it low for those first few days. This is when the bulk of fermentation happens and where the bulk of off flavours will be produced if the temperature is too high. Look up swamp coolers for a simple way to keep temps down.

Good luck and make sure to report back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

A water bath is a cheap and easy way to maintain a stable temp. Float your fermenter in a container of water with an aquarium heater in it. I find large builders' trugs are good and a 100w heater will only set you back a few quid on amazon (I just had one arrive today that I got for about £10). Leave the whole shebang somewhere a bit cooler than you want (garage, back room, utility room) and set the heater to the desidred temp. Works well except in the heat of summer when the ambient can be too high - that's the time to brew a saison! ;)

OK.. so I've these in my next order..

Screen_Shot_2016_09_21_at_23_12_32.png

Anything else? Planning on using that second fermenter as a batch primer so I've getting the tap and bottle wand included with it.

In other news - received my starter kit today - but the Oxi P15 never arrived with it! :( Box even indicated "No Oxy" on the top but no e-mail or letter as to why it wasn't included.

Sent an e-mail to Ian about it but still waiting to hear back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Treadhead wrote: »
    Thanks for that.. though have heard great things about the likes of Starsan / P15 from loads of people, so wanted to try it. Don't know if I like the idea of messing with bleach plus a small amount of that Starsan / P15 will last an absolute age.

Though Ian from Mottly Brew just got back to me saying he's not allowed send P15 via courier anymore! :( So might need to source an alternative.

did you order from Mottley? Was he cheaper than HBC, HBW and GEB?

• Advertisement

did you order from Mottley? Was he cheaper than HBC, HBW and GEB?
    I ordered the Starter Kit above from him.. don't know if he was necessarily cheaper to be honest.

I did like that the extract from him was a Pale Ale, as opposed to lagers which seem to come with a lot of starter kits so that probably swayed me.

Not sure if I'd use then again as the lack of communication was irritating.. waiting a week only to be told after emailing that he was waiting on two products, and then still ended up a product short. He was apologetic but still not massively impressed.

Probably do another order for DME, Starsan, spare fermenter with bottle wand and campden tablets elsewhere at weekend.

EDIT: This one from HBC was probably better as it came with a spare fermenter for priming.. although no beer kit or bottles with it. Don't know of a starter pack that would have included everything I wanted anyways, but bottles were definitely a plus!

Any "lagers" in a starter brew kit are actually pale ales too fyi, you need a fridge to make a lager, as the yeast works at much lower temps than room temp would even get near.

as low as 12-14 degrees

so what really get is a pale ale kit.

OK - put in another order at GEB this evening:

- Starsan
    - Bottling Wand
    - Campden Tablets
    - 1kg x Light DME

Opted against a second fermenter.. might try bottle priming my first batch.. as don't have a whole lot of room for a second barrel - need to clean out space under stairs first.

But plan is to using Campden in water and DME instead of Brewing Sugar.

Getting ahead of myself but granulated sugar OK for priming? Level teaspoon per 500ml bottle do?

The only time I bottle primed I used carb drops. But that sounds about right.

The only time I bottle primed I used carb drops. But that sounds about right.
    Yeah, had second thoughts about carb drops..

.. so asked GetErBrewed about adding them to my existing order and they said order them and click for free collection, and then add my order number to the comments and they'll include them with the rest.

That's customer service I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Opted against a second fermenter.. might try bottle priming my first batch.. as don't have a whole lot of room for a second barrel - need to clean out space under stairs first.
    My fermenter fits inside my bottling bucket, as that's wider. I only need the bucket for priming and bottling.

My fermenter fits inside my bottling bucket, as that's wider. I only need the bucket for priming and bottling.
    How big is each? e.g 33L fermenter, 50L bottling bucket?

I have a 25 litre Youngs fermenter (like this one) that fits into one of these.

You can get away with batch priming in the primary fermenter but there's a slight risk you'll rouse up some of the yeast/sediment at the bottom of the fermenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

How big is each? e.g 33L fermenter, 50L bottling bucket?

25l fermenter, 33l bottling bucket. The Bucket is about 2" wider than the fermemter, and a good bit shorter too.

• Advertisement

Going to take an hour or two tomorrow and get this brew going..

Two last questions which I've seen mixed opinions on:

1. Boil 1kg of DME in 3 litres of water and throw that into the fermenter on top of the liquid malt extract? Or just throw it in on top of liquid malt extract mixed with 3 litres of water in fermenter? I've seen both methods used.. is there a preference or does it matter?

2. Should I rehydrate the yeast or just sprinkle in on top of the wort? Like I mentioned, have seen both methods used online.

Advertisement