Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Good Place (NBC) [**SPOILERS**]

• 20-09-2016 3:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Very much enjoyed the 2 part series opener and am glad we've only got to wait until Thursday for episode 3.

Strongest Comedy offering NBC has thrown up since Parks & Recreation and Community back in 2009 and can see it getting a similar loyal fanbase.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, I've seen this get a lot of praise, and certainly the pedegree of those involved would make one sit up and take notice. Hopefully though, unlike Community, if it's as decent ad it looks it gets support from its network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah I thought it was great forking fun (compared to other bullshirt NBC comedies in recent years).

The dog in the second part was a superb visual gag. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I love Ted Danson and will pretty much watch him in anything. I only wish he was the one to greet me in the afterlife.

FunLover18 wrote:
    I think for a pilot it was pretty strong. Focused on the ensemble rather than just Bell's character, which I liked.

I agree there were enough issues set up for a solid run, Eleanor's struggle to be good, Michael's first solo job, Jameelee and her Buddhist soul mate (something going on with him), not to mention the bad place.

One issue I did have is that the so called good people don't appear to be all that good, people who have worked tirelessly in life for civil rights or to fight poverty and they're happy to sit in their mansions while everyone else is relegated to the bad place but hopefully this will be addressed.

Here are my thoughts from the Off Topic thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I think once we get to know the other residents of The Good Place a bit more, it'll work great as an ensemble piece. The premiere for me just did a great job of setting up the world and establishing the basic premise and I think from the next episode onwards we're going to get to know the characters much better.
    Mr E wrote: »
    The dog in the second part was a superb visual gag. :)

That was brilliant and I loved the follow up scene of Michael speaking with the owner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, as I mentioned in the off-topic thread, I didn't really enjoy this at all.

Maybe I've just got network comedy fatigue.. but haven't taken on a new network comedy in probably 3 - 4 years.

The last network comedy pilot I was impressed by was Happy Endings.. talented cast, fresh writing that knew how to do pop / culture references better than anything else (and still is unbeaten in that respect IMO!).. and we all know how that turned out! :(

HBO (Silicon Valley, Vice Principals etc.) and FX (Always Sunny etc.) is where I go for comedy now.. network TV just seems to be playing it very safe with comedy that you may get a giggle from, but I've be hard pushed to think of a network comedy that made me laugh out loud in recent years. They're trying to shake things up with the likes of 'Speechless' but while the subject matter is edgy, verging on controversial, the writing and jokes really are not.

Anyways, back on topic, it all felt a little strange and I just can't put my finger on why - maybe it was the constant callbacks to the "bullshirt" / "fork" joke, the jarring sequence of destruction with massive ladybugs or what - but if it wasn't written by the creator of the excellent Parks and Rec, I'm unsure if people would be as kind to it.

Maybe I've just being naive or really forking cynical!

Basq wrote: »
    Anyways, back on topic, it all felt a little strange and I just can't put my finger on why - maybe it was the constant callbacks to the "bullshirt" / "fork" joke, the jarring sequence of destruction with massive ladybugs or what - but if it wasn't written by the creator of the excellent Parks and Rec, I'm unsure if people would be as kind to it.

I've been looking forward to this since I heard about it a couple of months ago but only found out it was from one of the guys behind P&R this week. TBH while I liked P&R I'm not a massive fan and is not something I'd go back to too quickly. I think it just comes down to taste, I saw a couple of episodes of Silicon Valley but it wasn't for me. I didn't find TGP hilarious by any means, and the fork/bullshirt joke was definitely overdone but there's enough character and storywise to keep me interested and bring me back for episode 2.

I enjoyed the second episode, really like that they're not just focusing on Eleanor hopefully we'll get to know a lot more of the residents. I liked the Janet gag but it wore thin. Interested to see what happens next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I enjoyed the second episode, really like that they're not just focusing on Eleanor hopefully we'll get to know a lot more of the residents. I liked the Janet gag but it wore thin. Interested to see what happens next week.

I'm liking that it's somewhat serialized and that there's a cliffhanger at the end of each episode - saw that one coming a mile off mind you, but glad they didn't drag it out either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I watched the first 3 episodes (well, 2 I guess given the premiere was a double-bill) and I like this; it's more serialized than I expected, but that's not a bad thing and made sure the premise was more than just a setting, but part of the narrative too. It's crazy how rare that is with sitcom-length comedies, more could benefit with some greater serialisation.

It's not hilariously funny at this point but it's still clearly establishing its cast of characters, peppering some funny little moments amid the character-heavy scenes. No doubt it'll get cancelled though just as it begins to stretch its legs.

• Advertisement

Still really enjoying this. I reckon Elenor will have to come clean soon not only because I don't think there's enough material in her hiding to sustain the season but because Danson is the best thing in the show and if he goes it will suffer.

I like that they're pairing up Chidi and Tahani, as it threatens the soul mate element of the good place which could be very interesting.

Wasn't a fan of this initially but the serialization and mini-cliffhangers are very refreshing!

Not the funniest comedy out there but it's fun..
    Adam Scott
    was an inspired choice for creator of The Bad Place.

Hmmm, would a 'Middling Place' really be a good alternative to what is a pretty harsh binary system already? Seems like an eternity of mediocrity would be as bad as being surrounded by people with selfie sticks.

I love the constant trickle of markings that count against you. Taking ones shoes and socks in a plane feels pretty heinous all right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Strongest Comedy offering NBC has thrown up since Parks & Recreation and Community back in 2009
    Superstore? A way better show than The Good Place, a surprise NBC hit, much funnier than The Good Place...why isn't there a Superstore thread? It's great.

Anyways, I was excited for this show, but I watched the first two episodes and then during the third I had to stop, I couldn't stand any more. It's dull, not very exciting or funny, and I find the whole premise to be stupid. Do later episodes touch on the subject of what happens to people that are "morally good" atheists? Good Place or Bad Place?

I switched to Better Things and binged the first 7 (of 10) episodes, an FX comedy from Pamela Adlon and Louis C.K., better than The Good Place in so many ways, and already renewed for a second season.

Superstore? A way better show than The Good Place, a surprise NBC hit, much funnier than The Good Place...why isn't there a Superstore thread? It's great.

Anyways, I was excited for this show, but I watched the first two episodes and then during the third I had to stop, I couldn't stand any more. It's dull, not very exciting or funny, and I find the whole premise to be stupid. Do later episodes touch on the subject of what happens to people that are "morally good" atheists? Good Place or Bad Place?

I switched to Better Things and binged the first 7 (of 10) episodes, an FX comedy from Pamela Adlon and Louis C.K., better than The Good Place in so many ways, and already renewed for a second season.

I watched 2 episodes of Superstore there awhile back and just didn't get the appeal - might give it another chance at some point.

I still think The Good Place is by far the best NBC comedy since the days of Community, Parks & Rec and The Office.

I thought it was off last week due to election..

.. but no new episode this week too?

Then looked it up, not back til January! :(

Basq wrote: »
    I thought it was off last week due to election..

.. but no new episode this week too?

Then looked it up, not back til January! :(

That can't be a good sign. Rating will surely take a dip if not a dive.

That can't be a good sign. Rating will surely take a dip if not a dive.

There's some Basketball or Football or Baseball (one of those stupid sportsballs anyway) on NBC on Thursdays these days, so it was always a case that The Good Place and the rest of the Thursday line-up would take a break until January. Only 4 episodes left in this season of The Good Place anyway, and unless there's a drastic drop (it can withstand a dip and 'Mericans seem to be used to these ridiculous mid-season breaks as they know no better, so don't think it will lose too many viewers) when it returns, its ratings are good enough to warrant a renewal, as is the critical consensus.

I didn't realise how much I missed this show, until I started watching the new episode - happiest I've been in 2017 so far was that 20 minute episode...

"…it ran for 16 years on the BBC. They did nearly 30 episodes!"

So good. I really missed this show.

What? :)

• Advertisement

It's back?? Great news, and I hope the wonky scheduling hasn't dampened any hopes of renewal.

Also missed the show myself, it's such a perfectly baked little comedy cake IMO; great writing and utterly charming.

*Waits for internet to produce a gif of Chidi saying 'What?'*

That episode was fantastic, there were so many good moments, most of them emanating from Chidi's haplessly endearing self.
    *Waits for internet to produce a gif of Chidi saying 'What?'*

If Tumblr's good for anything, it's GIFs of ones favourite shows :D

tumblr_ojd4gg8caa1qk8rxto2_250.gif

The double episode finale is on tonight.

Hopefully it gets renewed for another season (it seems likely, to be fair).

Double episode; nice one, though could have done without the break for these last 4 episodes. Fingers crossed it gets renewed, it's a fantastically written, witty show.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Fingers crossed it gets renewed.

It forking better be.

They have to renew it for a 2nd Season after that finale! That was forking awesome and didn't see it coming at all.

Forking genius. Next season is going to be so much fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Ted Danson was phenomenal. His sudden personality change genuinely gave me shivers up the back of my spine. Though I had figured something like the reveal because the plot was moving at too fast a clip for a second season to be possible if there wasn't some sort of ulterior point to the neighbourhood.

A good series all in all, hopefully it will be renewed. Fans of this should try watching People of Earth about a journalist writing a colour piece on a support group for alien abductees. It has a similar absurd tone and lots of unpredictable plot twists.

• Advertisement

Loving the fact that Michael essentially became the big bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

Will the show even be a sitcom from now on? I was dumbfounded.

I really hope the writers got internal approval for a season 2, and has yet to be officially announced, because that finale was a brilliant end & rug pull on the audience. If it got cancelled we surely must be in the Bad Place ourselves.

Loved this show so much and really demonstrates how a sitcom can be serialised if done properly. Chidi has been the standout character - of the humans anyway -, but everyone has been that heady mix of being goofilly comedic yet inately human at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Great show,
    Cast are great, Janet a particular fav..
    Jianu/Jason is great fun too.
    Didn't see the ending coming at all which is rare these days...

Hopefully this gets renewed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Watched the last 3 eps last night. WOW. As others have said, I did not see that ending coming. I knew there was going to be a twist but I honestly thought it would be something totally different.

There HAS to be a second season. I love Janet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

This really could be a great show where every season they reset and try something new

• Advertisement

Motherforking shirtballs! That's great news :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I’m forking thrilled

Fork yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Not sure what the fuss is about TBH. It's a mediocre show. I just watch it for KB and JamJam.

Not sure what the fuss is about TBH. It's a mediocre show. I just watch it for KB and JamJam.

Naw. I think it's a superbly written, character rich show that really ran with the idea of a serialised sitcom - and hope others take note. Good Place could be a format changer.

Eleanor & the rest were all uniformly great characters that had great depth to their quirks. It's not a gag-a-minute sitcom for sure, but its humour still left me with a smile by the end.

Good Place could be a format changer.
    Its mediocre ratings say otherwise.

Its mediocre ratings say otherwise.

I wasn't talking ratings: Good Place has a fairly unique premise & I'd be surprised if it was ever expected to be a ratings smash. The trash heap of sitcom history is littered with bad 'gimmick' shows, and this would have been a tough enough sell. I was a bit leery myself at first.

However, Its steadfast commitment to a running, serialised narrative though does show that in the right hands it's entirely possible for a sitcom to move past the tired shenanigans-rinse-repeat format and apply itself to something a little more focused and rewarding. In many respects it was a very 'Netflix' style show, suitable for binging.

All conjecture of course, but it'd be nice to see Good Place starting a trend of some 'better' sitcoms.

Network heads don't greenlight shows, and expect them to get mediocre ratings, they'd be fired if they did. The Good Place was definitely expected to do better than it has done. It's ratings are likely to be even lower next year, so I'd be surprised if the series gets more than 26 episodes total.

Besides, there's been serialised sitcoms before, so that's nothing new. I tried binge-watching the show, but didn't find it great at all, and I'm a Danson fan. Fans still constantly using the "fork/bullshirt" jokes in comments online has really put me off even trying the show again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Netflix will be adding season 2 weekly from September 21st.

Netflix will be adding season 2 weekly from September 21st.

Does it have season 1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Does it have season 1?

No not yet it will more than be added around the time season 2 starts

Yeah, I'd be surprised if they don't add Season 1 in the run-up to the weekly airing.

That's great news though: definitely one of the best comedies of last year and deserves a big audience. Really well put together & a fantastic mix of ludicrous yet deeply human characters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Odd choice from Netflix but not complaining.

• Advertisement
Advertisement