Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi stopped connecting on laptop

Options
  • 20-09-2016 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

My laptop all of a sudden has stopped connecting to my wifi, now the wifi is working as everything connects fine and the laptop worked grand till now...I have goggled and goggled and it seems the wifi receiver card thing is deactivated and I can't reactivate it through the control panel menu

I bought an external USB WiFi receiver and installed the software and it seems it connects but I still can't get a page to load with it

Would anyone have any idea what's up or what I should be doing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Im not an expert by any means but the same thing happened to my laptop last week.

I dont know if its the same issue but my antivirus was out of date.
    I installed new antivirus and then laptop connected to wifi.

Dont know if this helps or even if its right but worked for me

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭canhefixit

Hi
    Thanks for your comment
    My anti virus is up to date so I'm guessing its actually something internal on the laptop that has gone wonky
    I've had this laptop about 6 years and this is the first time this ever happended
    So bloody annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Does the laptop see your network? Maybe the router changed the channel to a number that the wifi card can't see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You might try a live Linux CD/DVD image (or USB if your laptop will boot from USB) to determine whether its a hardware/software issue. Also check physical switches, Fn/F-key options for your model and Windows network options, and most recent drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭claregal1

Something similar happened to my laptop as well with our WiFi - I ended up removing the WiFi name from the control settings and re- entering it again and it connected them - don't know if you have tried that yet ?

• Advertisement

Its actually connects as it shows connected in the wireless network connextions but when I try open a page I get nothing

I was going to attack a few pics of what it shows bit in don't have option to do so on my phone

The fact I even got an external USB WiFi receiver and it connects to the WiFi but still won't show a page has me stumped here

I've reset the network adapters a few times as that's were I thought the prob was

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Can you restart and go into Safe Mode with Networking and see if it connects then?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭golfcaptain

Can you ping 8.8.8.8?

How do I go into safe mode?

And I haven't a clue what you mean byping 8888 sorry....I've a basic understanding of computers but I normally get there eventually lol

Ah sorry.

Assuming you're on Windows, open a command prompt (type cmd.exe from the run menu).
    A new window with a black background should open.
    Type "ping 8.8.8.8" (without quotes)
    You should either get a response like "Reply from 8.8.8.8 = ...." or a "Request Timed Out" or similar error message.

• Advertisement

Yeah I've windows vista thanks
    I entered the ping and comes back saying ping transmit failed error code 1231

What does this mean?

I'm trying to go into he safe mode here see if that makes any difference

Tks

Cool, the ping failing just tells us that it's not just a browser issue and you are indeed not connected to a network.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

canhefixit wrote: »
    Its actually connects as it shows connected in the wireless network connextions but when I try open a page I get nothing

So can you confirm that you see the wireless status as B in this example?

397437.JPG

Cool, the ping failing just tells us that it's not just a browser issue and you are indeed not connected to a network.

OK so what do you think I should do now?

Trying to put it into safe mode and it just freezes on a black screen with the list of files it is trying to load

OK so what do you think I should do now?

Trying to put it into safe mode and it just freezes on a black screen with the list of files it is trying to load

Those are the drivers (small programs the system needs to run) the system is loading. Is it freezing while still displaying them? If so, what is the last thing on the screen you see? If not, does it just go to a black screen?

Also, to confirm you are launching safe mode by pressing F8 after restarting the PC then selecting Safe Mode? Don't try Safe Mode With Networking just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭claregal1

Hi - yeah mine was saying connected as well but wouldn't load any pages - I just removed that WiFi name from the wireless connections and then set it up again and re entered the password and it worked fine then.

OK when I try put it in safe mode it keeps freezin....it freezes at the same point on windows\systems32\drivers\avgidshx.sys

I tried changing the wifi name which is sky but it wont let me

Tried disconnecting it for a while and still didn't work

Can't understand it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Are you using admin account?

So can you confirm that you see the wireless status as B in this example?

397437.JPG

The second image flashes at the bottom right of the screen were 2 little monitor icons are only when I disconnect the wifi completly..when I reconnect it the monitors stay on

When I look in the network sharing centre there is a break in the internet connection t due to unidentified network for some rezdin...I've never had a prob with this laptop before

Ted111 wrote: »
    Are you using admin account?

Yeah using the one an only account on the laptop which I'm sure is the admin one

• Advertisement

Hi sorry to hear you're still having trouble. Did you happen to install/update any AVG software recently?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Make sure you only have the one anti virus program installed. Also I would uninstall AVG even just temporarily to see if the connectivity issues resolve.

Nick

Hi sorry to hear you're still having trouble. Did you happen to install/update any AVG software recently?
    I think I did actually do tbh, do you think it could be causing the issue?

yoyo wrote: »
    Make sure you only have the one anti virus program installed. Also I would uninstall AVG even just temporarily to see if the connectivity issues resolve.

Nick
    OK I'll give that ago now see what happens

Thanks

OK tried that several times and it won't let me uninstall it bloody thing

Is there any other way bar through programs to uninstall it?

OK tried that several times and it won't let me uninstall it bloody thing

Is there any other way bar through programs to uninstall it?

Maybe AVG Removal Tool

http://www.avg.com/ie-en/utilities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Will you first of all start using the administrator account.

Here's how to activate it link

I think I did actually do tbh, do you think it could be causing the issue?

There's still any number of potential causes at this stage but the driver you said it's freezing on (avgidshx.sys) is a part of AVGs intrusion detection system. It's possible something necessary for it to work has become corrupted. So, lets try uninstalling AVG first and see if you can get into Safe Mode. I see you've already tried doing so but please try the steps to disable and uninstall AVG at the following link:
    https://support.avg.com/SupportArticleView?l=en_US&urlName=Disabling-AVG-when-Windows-cannot-start

If you can try that please and post back if you can now get into safe mode?
    Ted111 wrote: »
    Will you first of all start using the administrator account

I'd recommend against this at this stage until we can get into Safe Mode, especially as we'll be disabling the anti-virus. Any specific reason to use it right now?

OK I'm defo in an admin account

Don't want to sound to silly but as I can't get wifi to the laptop can I download the avg removal tool to another computer and save it to a memory key then put it on my laptop? Or is there another handier way of doing it?

Cheers for the help so far

• Advertisement

OK I'm defo in an admin account

Don't want to sound to silly but as I can't get wifi to the laptop can I download the avg removal tool to another computer and save it to a memory key then put it on my laptop? Or is there another handier way of doing it?

Cheers for the help so far

Yeah - download to key, copy to desktop and run from there.

Advertisement