Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi stopped connecting on laptop

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

Can you connect with a cable??

Might just a case the wifi drive needs to to reinstalled .

Open the "Run" dialog box by pressing and holding the Windows key, then press the R key ("Run").

Type devmgmt.msc

This will open up the device manger .

Look for network adaptes click the arrow on left to expand,

Do you see any yellow warning symbols ?

Also if can post a screen shot of the device manager results .

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭canhefixit

Ok so I managed to get avg off the laptop eventually but still no joy trying to get online it's just doing the same thing

Should I try it now into safe mode maybe?

mach1982 wrote: »
    Can you connect with a cable??

Might just a case the wifi drive needs to to reinstalled .

Open the "Run" dialog box by pressing and holding the Windows key, then press the R key ("Run").

Type devmgmt.msc

This will open up the device manger .

Look for network adaptes click the arrow on left to expand,

Do you see any yellow warning symbols ?

Also if can post a screen shot of the device manager results .

Hi...no I can't connect via a cable unfortunateky...I did check in device managers as you say and there no warning signs even when I click onto the wireless adapter it says it's working fine even though when I run a diagnostics it says there may be an issue with a network adapter on the computer

It connects to the wifi but won't show a web page...I'm using my phone and I don't see any option to attach a pic and I know if I showed a few you would prob know right away

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭golfcaptain

canhefixit wrote: »
    Ok so I managed to get avg off the laptop eventually but still no joy trying to get online it's just doing the same thing

Should I try it now into safe mode maybe?

Yeah so long as you can't get into that it means there's still a problem.

OK so tried it in safe mode and as it's loading the files it sticks now on
    Windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys

So what am I dealing with now?

If only I could out a bloody pic on this

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

That is normal, should be last driver to load. does it load after a minute or two waiting at this point?
    Something important for us to know here, are you using wifi with fixed line broadband, or are you using one of those "dongle" internet devices?

Nick

yoyo wrote: »

That is normal, should be last driver to load. does it load after a minute or two waiting at this point?
    Something important for us to know here, are you using wifi with fixed line broadband, or are you using one of those "dongle" internet devices?

Nick

OK maybe I didn't give it enough time I'll try it again and leave it a few mins and report back

I'm using fixed line broadband, as in I've a box plugged into the wall which send out the WiFi signal if that is clear enough lol I'm no techie

But I'll try that and come back again, cheers

yoyo wrote: »

Nick

OK so I tried loading it into safe mode ans no joy, it just stays on that file same as before, I tried it on just safe mode, safe mode with networking and safe mode with prompts, I've left each sitting for about 10 mins to load and notin happens,laptop doesn't even sound like its doing anything either as in ya can tell it loading something with the slight loading noise if ya know what I mean

I don't want to select any of the lower option as I'm afriad of doing more damage as I haven't a clue what they do

Just to confirm, did you follow the steps in the link I posted to remove AVG completely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

I'm on windows 7 and I get wifi connection problems from time to time, rare but happens.

First thing I do is mouse over the wifi icon on the taskbar, right click and select "Troubleshoot Problems".

It has sorted out problems for me automatically.

• Advertisement

Yeah I went through those steps and then completed the removal using the tool

I've left it loading for ages in the 3. Safe mode option and it dosent go past that file everytime

What is the make & model of your laptop? Did any recovery/installation disks come with it? Do you have any options like "System Recovery" or "Startup Repair" on the menu where you select Safe Mode? Sorry for all the questions, I know it can be frustrating.

Can you boot into your BIOS settings and make sure wifi is enabled there? Unlikely to be the issue but just to double check. To get into BIOS, look for what key to press when the laptop is booting, before you see the Windows logo. It will likely say "Press F2 for Setup" or the like. Once in, look for an option to enable your wifi card. It may be under the heading of Onboard Devices/ Wireless/ WLAN or something similar.

Another thing to do before proceeding, can you run the System File Checker tool? To do this, open an elevated command prompt and type "sfc /scannow" (without quotes). See https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/kb/929833 for more info about this tool and how to open the elevated window.

No I don't have any recovery disks I'm not I got any when I bought it tbh I don't remember any...under the safe mode menu there is an option that says repair computer and it's takes me to a system called the tech guys , the laptop was bought in curry's so I think it's there system I may be wrong though

I went Into the f2 option which is the bios I think and there is nothing that mentions wifi or internet whatsoever that I can see....I went into device manager and into network adpaters as when I run a diagnostics it's says there may be a problem with it but under devise status it says devise is working properly

I done the system file checker and it came back saying windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations

Oh and it's a advent 5303 laptop

OK, I'm not familiar with that laptop or how Curry's setup their repair options unfortunately. I'd be surprised there's no options for wifi in the BIOS, can you post the menu headings please? Just need to make sure it's not disabled there. If you can also post the options under the Tech Guys menu? Hopefully there is one called "Startup Repair", you don't want anything called Restore or Reset.

PS
    If you can also try reinstalling the wireless drivers from this page too (the last one, WLAN drivers for Advent 5303):
    http://www.adventcomputers.co.uk/product-download-select/134

The headings in the BIOS menu are...main...info....advamced....security....power...

Ok the 4 options o the Tech Guys menu are...start Microsoft windows repair environment....reinstall windows....advanced options....

I tried to download that of the advent site and it says all the downloads are unavailable but I've emailed them to see what's up

When I click on repair option I'm asked for an admin password which i haven't a clue what it is, how would I reset or get that now lol sorry for sounding like such a dunce

Ok I think I know the password but when i enter it it's says the account has been disabled and to see your system administrator....what the heck do I do now

What are the options under Advanced in the BIOS and the advanced options on the tech guys menu?

Ok I think I know the password but when i enter it it's says the account has been disabled and to see your system administrator....what the heck do I do now

That may be a system account and it's perfectly normal for it to be disabled. It may just be how tech guys have it configured.

In the Tech Guys advanced it has....chkdsk....notepad.....command prompt

In the advance on bios it had 2 things ....execute disable bit (enabled).....ahci configuration (disabled)

• Advertisement

& under Main in the BIOS?

Main in bios has

Ide master (test corp cddvdw ts-l632h-j

Ide slave (none)

HDD (Toshiba mk1646gsx-(s1)

OK nothing there of use. Have you tried using your own password to access the tech guys repair option? If that doesn't work, please see the following to enable the administrator account and see if you can access it then:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/kb/555910

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Before you go through wiping and reinstalling Windows (Long winded procedure that may not solve your problem), you could try this.....

Go to Argos or PC World or local computer shop and buy yourself a USB WiFi adaptor - for this, the cheaper the better. Just disable the installed wifi device, plug in the adaptor, install software and see if you can connect. If you can connect, there is a good chance that your laptop WiFi device is faulty. If you can't, you are looking at a software problem.

When I worked for Dell we used to get customers to reinstall Windows for the most stupid problems - was the easiest way to get them off the phone. But it would cause more problems - devices not installed properly, no backups done and data lost etc.

You can get an adaptor for about €12 here http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?pp=20&s=Price%3A+Low+-+High&storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&q=USB+WIFI&r_001=1%7CPrice%7C10+%3C%3D++%3C%3D+24.99%7C2&authToken=

or for €10 here http://www.pcworld.ie/category/wireless-cards-adapters/402.0.5

Set both of above to sort from Low to High to find the cheap ones.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭boobycharlton

It says in OP's opening post that he/she already tried an external USB WiFi adapter and still has no luck getting online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

It says in OP's opening post that he/she already tried an external USB WiFi adapter and still has no luck getting online.

D'oh!!! That's what what happens when boards and beer mixes :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13 gayleard

As far as I can see, you have never said how you are connecting (or not connecting) to the internet.
    Do you have a WiFi router in the house (perhaps supplied by your ISP)? Maybe that is not working properly. You could see if you have better luck in an internet cafe.
    Do you have a smart phone? Have you tried connecting with that?
    I think you said you bought it in Curry's. If you take it there they can put in a CD of their own and boot into that, to determine where the problem lies.

Yeah I am defo in admin account but I can't seem to be able to reset password on the Tech Guys repair option

Yeah I got a USB WiFi adapter an it's shows connected just like the laptop does but won't show a web page

I have a wifi router and every other devise as in phones an tablets work fine it's just the laptop, I bought it it currys about 6 years ago I dunno if they would be interested in it now would they?

Ok I got the admin password set though the cmd....went into tech guys repair and done a start up repair and it came back saying it could not detect a problem, done a run memory diagnostics and it came back clear too

Right ..when I'm in network sharing centre the is a diagram of 2 computer and a globe that looks something like this

This compuer
    unidentified network----X
    globe (which is greyed out)

The X is a big red X showing there is a break there for some reason

When I click on it the computer runs diagnostics then comes back with 3 options saying.....plug a cable into network adapter.......move computer to diff location and try connecting again......automatically get new IP for the network adaptor ....

I've done all 3 and still the problem persists

• Advertisement

Re sending for repair:
    If you do decide to take it for repair then be prepared in that all your data may be wiped and anyone who has access to it can view all your files and install any (incl. hidden) software. It's a sad fact that those things have happened to people. I know it's slow running through the steps like you've already done when it's new to you and, if getting it back up ASAP is a concern, then definitely you may want to bring it to a reputable repair shop as they should be able to diagnose it quickly. The cause could even be a failing hard drive which can't be ruled out yet.

If nothing else we try works though I would strongly advise reinstalling Windows yourself to see if that fixes things (There are ways to remove your files before doing that, so you only have to re-install your programs and reconfigure your settings). These are just my opinions & someone else may advise you otherwise.

There's still a few simple things to try. You said you were able to get the administrator password; can you now get into Safe Mode or is that still not loading? You should try to reinstall your wifi driver either way (ignore the link to Advent I posted previously, they seem to have removed the driver file from their website, which itself looks like it hasn't been updated in 2 years). According to this site, your wifi card is an Intel 3945ABG. You can confirm this by either physically opening the laptop or following these steps:
    Start - Control Panel - System and Maintenance - Device Manager - Network Adapters
    Right-click the wifi adapter - Properties - Driver tab
    The name and version should be listed there.

PS Sorry for so much text!

Advertisement