Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi stopped connecting on laptop

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭canhefixit

Re sending for repair:
    If you do decide to take it for repair then be prepared in that all your data may be wiped and anyone who has access to it can view all your files and install any (incl. hidden) software. It's a sad fact that those things have happened to people. I know it's slow running through the steps like you've already done when it's new to you and, if getting it back up ASAP is a concern, then definitely you may want to bring it to a reputable repair shop as they should be able to diagnose it quickly. The cause could even be a failing hard drive which can't be ruled out yet.

If nothing else we try works though I would strongly advise reinstalling Windows yourself to see if that fixes things (There are ways to remove your files before doing that, so you only have to re-install your programs and reconfigure your settings). These are just my opinions & someone else may advise you otherwise.

There's still a few simple things to try. You said you were able to get the administrator password; can you now get into Safe Mode or is that still not loading? You should try to reinstall your wifi driver either way (ignore the link to Advent I posted previously, they seem to have removed the driver file from their website, which itself looks like it hasn't been updated in 2 years). According to this site, your wifi card is an Intel 3945ABG. You can confirm this by either physically opening the laptop or following these steps:
    Start - Control Panel - System and Maintenance - Device Manager - Network Adapters
    Right-click the wifi adapter - Properties - Driver tab
    The name and version should be listed there.

PS Sorry for so much text!

I'm not in a crazy pannick to have it repaired tbh it's just annoying lol...and im actually learning a good bit here so win win sort of although it the laptop that's winning lol..

Ok so how would I reinstall windows then?

I've tried safe mode and it still freezing on the same file

Yeah iThats the wifi card I have for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭golfcaptain

Before that, go back into Device Manager - Select wifi adapter - Right-click - Uninstall. Then restart your computer. It should prompt you to reinstall the driver then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

OP

before you send computer back or reinstall windows etc, do you have the facility to you download and image file and burn to dvd on another pc?

if so you should download a boot image of linux, i recommend mint, link below because its very much plug and play and looks similar to windows. it does not install anything on the pc by default.

https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=217

if you can burn that to a blank dvd, then boot your own pc up, from cd/dvd and load into mint. you have already booted into the bios, so you should be able to select boot drive cd/dvd in the bootup options,

once in mint you should see if you can see your wifi network, and join it. once joined, see if you can browse the internet. If you can this tells you your hardware is fine and its a windows problem you have.
    If you cant browse the internet in either windows or linux; you may have a hardware problem, and for that you will need to get laptop serviced.

My gut feeling is if it was hardware, the external wifi card should have worked. thus i think its a probably a windows issue. but at least this way you can get a good idea where the fault lies, and you could use mint to brose internet etc, while deciding how to proceed.

Ok I done that then restarted it re installs I go to pen web page an still nothing

When I actually go to connect back to the wifi it's says connection unsuccessful -- computer is connected to SKY but does not have access to the internet....

When I run a diagnostic it comes back with the 3 same options as before...move pc...get new IP...reset router which have all been done

I uninstalled the wifi on it again and plugged in the wifi adapter in the USB to try it and it's exactly the same....I even tried to teather it from my phone both through the USB adapter and the laptop wifi and the same message comes up.....computer is connected but does not have access to Internet

I can understand how it connects but won't access the internet when every other devise in the house works fine....does this norrow down the cause at all? Tks

OP

before you send computer back or reinstall windows etc, do you have the facility to you download and image file and burn to dvd on another pc?

if so you should download a boot image of linux, i recommend mint, link below because its very much plug and play and looks similar to windows. it does not install anything on the pc by default.

https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=217

if you can burn that to a blank dvd, then boot your own pc up, from cd/dvd and load into mint. you have already booted into the bios, so you should be able to select boot drive cd/dvd in the bootup options,

once in mint you should see if you can see your wifi network, and join it. once joined, see if you can browse the internet. If you can this tells you your hardware is fine and its a windows problem you have.
    If you cant browse the internet in either windows or linux; you may have a hardware problem, and for that you will need to get laptop serviced.

My gut feeling is if it was hardware, the external wifi card should have worked. thus i think its a probably a windows issue. but at least this way you can get a good idea where the fault lies, and you could use mint to brose internet etc, while deciding how to proceed.

Hi, the only option I have of downloading it is through a library pc which is how I got the avg removal tool I can try it on their computer and see if it downloads

If I got the internet working again I'd be happy enough as that'd all it was used for...hopefully I can get that downloaded and give it ago cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭golfcaptain

You can temporarily unplug an ethernet cable from a PC at home and plug that into your laptop to save you having to go to the library. Or buy/borrow one and use in a spare port on your router.

Open command prompt - type ipconfig /all
    What is the IP address & default gateway?

Advertisement