Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what are you doing in the garden this week?

Options
  • 20-09-2016 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

cleaning out the shed and putting the summer toys away..... might even take the trimmer to the hedge.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Hedge cutting, cutting back faded perennials, lawn mowing, weeding, edging beds, sweeping leaves. It's endless. This can be a busy time of year in the garden and hopefully will be for a few more weeks yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Cut the grass first. Which was a mistake! (with petrol mower)
    Then fixed various issues with plugs and connectors and did the hedging. Ran over cuttings again with petrol mower to suck 'em up and shred them.
    Still to shape my beech.
    General weeding. Getting ready for autumn proper.

A potted perilla which was looking poorly was put in the ground. Will see if it survives tbe winter.

I have lots of hedging, so getting that done was a big deal. I do both neighbours' sides too.

Cut back hard one neighbour's buddleia.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Collected a bunch windfalls and pressed for cider and fruit juice with the kids, always fun and we've a few more batches to come yet. I really need a bigger garden for a bigger orchard.

Pink cider;

397645.JPG

Perry;

397646.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

I think I will plant some spring bulbs tomorrow. I just have to figure out a plan of where to put them.

I also need to dig up a mint plant and replant it because it's spreading like wild fire and not suitable for where it is

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cobham

Just took down runner beans and canes, last of potatoes dug up. Need to do something with bare raised beds. Put red clover down last year but slugs got the lot in week three.

Lot of clearance of plants that are gone over, cutting right down. Large pile of material for dump, too much for garden composter

Trying to find odd spaces to fit in a few bulbs ... and remember same!

Try to decide what to do with pots of geraniums? risk leaving out or bring into shed? or not worry about them and buy new in spring? Pots need fresh soil really.

Enjoying display of Japanese Anemones of various shades and nerines and Lollipop verbena grown from seed this year, suddenly doing 'its thing'.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

where did you get the press, smacl?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

cutting grass for a neighbour, weeding the remaining veg, clipping back hedges

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

I moved the mint plant and hopefully it will survive. The soil is shocking. Rocky and very clumpy. I plan on digging borders out the back garden over the winter slowly. There is no pleasure in it at all because it's so rocky and tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Hi smacl, I'm about to do exactly the same thing with my apples. I see your electric drill beside the bucket of mashed up pears; I assume the two are connected? To smash up the apples I use a 10" flat piece of brass, twisted into a kind of propellor shape, screwed onto a piece of threaded stud and spun with the electric drill. The trouble is, it's prone to rust/corrosion. Have you a more hygienic solution?

where did you get the press, smacl?

I went for this one on ebay. A fair bit of assembly required but does the job well and well priced. I went for the 12 litre version, but probably would have been better with the 6 litre version for the amount of pulp produced at one time.

$_12.JPG

• Advertisement

Hi smacl, I'm about to do exactly the same thing with my apples. I see your electric drill beside the bucket of mashed up pears; I assume the two are connected? To smash up the apples I use a 10" flat piece of brass, twisted into a kind of propellor shape, screwed onto a piece of threaded stud and spun with the electric drill. The trouble is, it's prone to rust/corrosion. Have you a more hygienic solution?

I got a present of a pulp master from a friend. Does the job reasonably well but nothing brilliant. For harder apples and pears you need to pulp, stir by hand and pulp again.

22a7_12.JPG

Advertisement