Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dinosaur Jr

Options
  • 20-09-2016 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭

They are playing here in November. I knew nothing about them until they released Beyond. And even then, it was years later that I began to appreciate it. Never gave it a chance. Started to love it. Read a bit about the band, and realised that they had a kind of "before" and "reunited" period. I started to buy some of the newer albums and got into them, including the recent “Give a glimpse_ _ _ _”. My overall thoughts are that the albums are not masterpieces, but there is enough good work on each album to deem it very good.
    I was going back over my CD collection a few years ago, and saw that I had bought "Living _ _ _ " about 15 years ago, but never listened to it. So gave that a few (hundred) spins and love it.

Anyway, I was really looking forward to the gig in November - and I was thinking of all of the quality songs that I haven't even got to listen to yet by the band (Bug album, Green Mind etc.).
    But I kinda cheated , and looked up the setlist of what they are playing, so that I can at least become very familiar with the majority of the songs that they play live. I created a little playlist of these songs on my iphone, and started to randomly listen to the (approx) 18 songs. My impression after a few listens is very underwhelming. Most of the songs that are on their regular setlist sound very low-key. Or maybe it’s just that it takes a long time to appreciate them. Songs like Gargoyle, Start Choppin, Bulbs of Passion, Goin down (on the new album). There is a song on Beyond - Pick me up, what I think is a classic tune. But instead they play a very "safe" tune like Goin Down.

I have never seen them live. Any good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Wheeker

I have never seen them live. Any good?

Hell yeah! :D

Ok so I am somewhat biased as I'm a huge fan & have seen them live many times, but live they are an incredibly powerful 3-piece ROCK band. J is regularly touted as one of the greatest guitarists (a guitarist's guitarist?) & his solos rarely dissapoint. Lou has a really unique bass style (chord strum) that really fills out the sound massively, Murph is totally solid as a rock. If you can get over J's (lack of) singing style you will massively enjoy them live.

Since they reformed they mostly stick to the songs that Lou played on originally with a couple of exceptions (The Wagon, Start Choppin etc). The 1st album is way under-produced, so Bulbs of Passion sounds totally different live. YLOM is their classic album. Bug is right up there also. Their 4 albums since reforming have been surprisingly good & have definitively proved that Dino Jr are the exception to the rule (that reformed bands never produce material as good as their earlier work).

The new album (Give a glimpse of What Yer Not) has really grown on me, I'm lovin it. Really looking forward to Vicar St gig :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

Yeah I'm really looking forward to it. Have seen them before.

Absolutely love the new album. Think the setlist looks good.. But I like all their stuff.

In short, can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Ya, new album is really good. Love I Walk For Miles. That should be a cracker live. Stomping tune.
    No songs from Beyond played live, which is a bit disappointing for me anyway. I’ve read that they are generally quite loud live. Looking forward to the gig. And love vicar St as a venue.

Ya, new album is really good. Love I Walk For Miles. That should be a cracker live. Stomping tune.
    No songs from Beyond played live, which is a bit disappointing for me anyway. I’ve read that they are generally quite loud live. Looking forward to the gig. And love vicar St as a venue.

Yeah vicar St is perfect. It's gonna be great. That guitar sound and voice, you can't go wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Check out their live sets on youtube. Pretty good. There's a dvd too, live in the middle east, or something like that, which is good and loud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Did he ever play Electric Picnic?

Edit: Just checked there he did play the Picnic in 2009, was announced on July 1st.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Did he ever play Electric Picnic?

Edit: Just checked there he did play the Picnic in 2009, was announced on July 1st.

He?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Birneybau wrote: »
    He?

OK THEY! I initially did say they but then I thought it was mainly the one guy or original member of the group, but I didn't do my research, so there ya go.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

Got my ticket looking forward to it, will be my first time seeing them live.

New album is a cracker too!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Any word on the support for the night, last time I saw them they had Built To Spill, was a great night

• Advertisement

Xenji wrote: »
    Any word on the support for the night, last time I saw them they had Built To Spill, was a great night

The website http://www.dinosaurjr.com/ says: The Creators and Wild Style Lion

Never heard of either of them TBH.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Wheeker wrote: »

Two support acts? That's kinda unusual for a gig like this.

The Creators are a random Irish band and Wild Style Lion is J's brother in laws band.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

What time will dinosaur likely hit the stage? Working till 8 but don't want to miss a second.
    Still hoping to hear "Where'd you go" live but I know it won't happen. One of the few bands that I love every single song they've ever committed to tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Wild Style Lion

I read that as Wyld Stallyns ...

263382097_bill_n_teds_wyld_stallyns_artwork_thumbnail_answer_5_xlarge.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

What time will dinosaur likely hit the stage? Working till 8 but don't want to miss a second.
    Still hoping to hear "Where'd you go" live but I know it won't happen. One of the few bands that I love every single song they've ever committed to tape.

I'm going to guess around 8:45 / 9 ish?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Had intended to go to this but forgot I'd booked a trip to visit friends in UK. Hope it's a great one for anyone going :)

seachto7 wrote: »
    I'm going to guess around 8:45 / 9 ish?

I've been looking around on Twitter but no mention of stage times yet. But the doors are 8pm & there's 2 support acts(?!), so I would have thought more like 9:30pm? Does Vicar St have an 11pm curfew? :confused:

I've been looking around on Twitter but no mention of stage times yet. But the doors are 8pm & there's 2 support acts(?!), so I would have thought more like 9:30pm? Does Vicar St have an 11pm curfew? :confused:

Ok- found this:

7:30pm Wild Style Lion
    8:15pm The Creators
    9:15pm Dinosaur Jr.

Their sets have been a bit erratic, say they will only do around 75 minutes or less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I saw in some live review it said hour and a half. But if they do maximum of 17 songs at an average of 4 minutes each and as there is very little crowd banter from the band, I can't see it going over 75/80 minutes. Anyway, can't wait. Never seen them live. I know they are famed for their loud volume - do ya reckon that will have to be tamed down a bit due to Irish restrictions - which in the main are more tedious than other countries e.g. proximity to other buildings.

Surprised it hasn't sold out Vicar St.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Interrobang

I know they are famed for their loud volume - do ya reckon that will have to be tamed down a bit due to Irish restrictions - which in the main are more tedious than other countries e.g. proximity to other buildings

Hope not. The first time I saw them was in McGonagles in 1991, and my ears were ringing for about a week afterwards! :-D They've never disappointed since - they're brilliant live. Really looking forward to tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I saw in some live review it said hour and a half. But if they do maximum of 17 songs at an average of 4 minutes each and as there is very little crowd banter from the band, I can't see it going over 75/80 minutes. Anyway, can't wait. Never seen them live. I know they are famed for their loud volume - do ya reckon that will have to be tamed down a bit due to Irish restrictions - which in the main are more tedious than other countries e.g. proximity to other buildings.

Surprised it hasn't sold out Vicar St.

Doubt it. I saw Mogwai (loudest gig I had ever heard) in the Olympia and then Swans in the Button Factory, overtook Mogwai!

Birneybau wrote: »
    Doubt it. I saw Mogwai (loudest gig I had ever heard) in the Olympia and then Swans in the Button Factory, overtook Mogwai!

That Sir is a lie*
    Nothing plays louder than Mogwai. To do so would defy the laws of physics.

*May or may not be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

That Sir is a lie*
    Nothing plays louder than Mogwai. To do so would defy the laws of physics.

*May or may not be true.

Swans are far louder than Mogwai!

I must check out these Swans so. I always thought it was dinosaur jr, then mbv, then Mogwai then sweet blissful deafness?

I must check out these Swans so. I always thought it was dinosaur jr, then mbv, then Mogwai then sweet blissful deafness?

Khanate for me, so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Interrobang

Earplugs on sale at the merchandise table - volume should be business as usual!

Great show tonight, was in front of J at the barrier for the whole thing, my ears will once again pay for that, he was his usual shy self and that will not change and he was also as good as note perfect for the whole show, honestly he is one of the most underrated guitarists on the go, everything looked so simple to him.

The crowd though for the most part seemed dead and bored anytime I looked behind me, not everyone but well over half, not sure if they were expecting something different or only knew the reunion albums , but it was the same top notch show I have seen 4 times now.

It was a great set, except for the lack of any songs off of Farm, which for me is probably my second favorite album, got Lou to play Out There at the end as he asked what we wanted to hear and kept shouting it out and also got J's pick which is one from the Farm tour, so overall a very entertaining night.

• Advertisement

Phenomenal (but not as loud as I remember - maybe my ears are recovering?)
    Would've loved more from farm too

Advertisement