Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Min speed required for Vodafone or Eir TV ?

• 20-09-2016 5:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭

Our line is due to be upgraded to Fiber in a few weeks

According to both Eir and Vodafone the max speed available will be 15mb DL.

According to a Eir online chat I just had this is sufficient for Eir TV

But is it really ?

And if it is what else will suffer i.e regular browsing, youTube etc ?

According to the stats on my router the downlink attenuation is 17, which translates to a max speed in the low 20s (1.2km)

Would that increase once there is Fiber ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

No its most definitely not.

You are not getting fibre if its 15Mbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Well thats what I thought.

The cabinet in question is going to be fiber enabled but is 1.2km away so all calculations indicate that 20 odd mb is the max I can get.

Right now I'm living on a max of 5.

The Eir sales man is due at the door any minute, he'll get short shrift if he tries to tell me lies.

By the way what should the min fot TV really be 40mb + ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Well thats what I thought.

The cabinet in question is going to be fiber enabled but is 1.2km away so all calculations indicate that 20 odd mb is the max I can get.

Right now I'm living on a max of 5.

The Eir sales man is due at the door any minute, he'll get short shrift if he tries to tell me lies.

By the way what should the min fot TV really be 40mb + ?

Yes that would be a fair assumption even allowing for other devices also being used in parallel. Its definitely 25+.

Most scenarios I have seen the TV service is where EIR are offering 100mb broadband. As far as I can recall they dont offer the TV service unless there is a minimum speeds of 40Mbps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Our line is due to be upgraded to Fiber in a few weeks

According to both Eir and Vodafone the max speed available will be 15mb DL.

According to a Eir online chat I just had this is sufficient for Eir TV

But is it really ?

Vodafone's TV service requires a min speed of 40 Mbps to install but eir will install at lower speeds.

According to Ed_E here, 12 Mbps (stable profile) required for 1 box, 18 Mbps required for 2-3 boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The Cush wrote: »
    Vodafone's TV service requires a min speed of 40 Mbps to install but eir will install at lower speeds.

According to Ed_E here, 12 Mbps (stable profile) required for 1 box, 18 Mbps required for 2-3 boxes.
    #

Thanks for that

The Eir guy called around and once he figured out that I had done my research he stopped with the BS that 15 was good for TV and basically admitted that is was not.

I was temped to go for it with the 14 day cooling off period but it does not look worth it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement