Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Simon Community - Purchase Fund

Options
  • 20-09-2016 5:53pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I recently had a property on the market. Last week I instructed the estate to take it down as it wasnt getting the interest I wanted.

Today however I got a call to say that the Dublin Simon Community were interested in purchasing it.

I never heard of this before. I didnt realise it was the remit of the Dublin Simon Community. Are the Dublin Simon Community active house purchasers or is this a scam?

Assuming this isnt a scam they will be rehousing homeless families? Do the Dublin Simon Community act as a housing trust? If so does it matter that there is another trust operating in the estate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

godtabh wrote: »
    I never heard of this before. I didnt realise it was the remit of the Dublin Simon Community. Are the Dublin Simon Community active house purchasers or is this a scam?

Assuming this isnt a scam they will be rehousing homeless families? Do the Dublin Simon Community act as a housing trust? If so does it matter that there is another trust operating in the estate?

They're on the list of approved housing bodies (ref: http://www.housing.gov.ie/housing/social-housing/voluntary-and-cooperative-housing/register-housing-bodies-approved-status), so I would expect that they are active house purchasers.

We cannot tell you who they would be housing in your property if they purchased it - it may be a homeless family or one at risk of being homeless, or it may be used for some kind of hostel or group home or suchlike. Only they could tell that - and possibly they won't be telling you the full story prior to purchasing anyways.

I don't know if it matters if there's another housing association operating in the same estate - but surely that's a matter for them to be concerned about, not you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Surely it is my concern if it affects a sale?

From reading the SC website it appears their philosophy is to house people long term. That's probably a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Not to be smart, how does it effect the sale? if they buy it, then you won't own it anymore, so it won't be your business/problem.

As a vendor, you just need to be satisfied with the price you're getting and that the purchaser is in good standing to proceed quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭K_P

godtabh wrote: »
    If so does it matter that there is another trust operating in the estate?

No, doesn't matter at all. There are no regulations that I'm aware of anywhere that limits an estate to one approved housing body. Also, Dublin Simon are an approved housing body and do purchase properties. No idea as to the exact nature of what they would use this house for but it would be for some form of social housing provision.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

it,s Likely they would use it to house someone who is homeless ,
    maybe someone with children.
    Its like selling your house to the local authority.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

There was a guy from Simon on Newstalk breakfast yesterday and he said they buy properties more often now. He did say that they tend to house people who've been homeless longest and who might not get properties otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

They're definitely buying properties. It's at issue with our OMC at the moment. Some of us bleedin' hearts liberals have rather different views to some of the owners, but I digress...

It's (probably) not a scam.

Advertisement