Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I put these tyres on my car?

• 20-09-2016 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

I've got a 2008 Mazda 6 that currently has 205/60/16 tyres on it that came with it when I bought it a couple of years back.

Tyre fitters have quoted me on 4 brand new replacements at €112 per tyre for Bridgestone tyres.

They've also quoted €95 per tyre for 205/55/16 Bridgestone tyres.

Are the 205/55/16 tyres suitable for the Mazda 6...?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Yes it would be fine, you can use this site to see the actual difference
    https://tiresize.com/comparison/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Senna wrote:
    Yes it would be fine, you can use this site to see the actual difference

That is a brilliant website for comparison of tyre sizes. Good find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They will be slightly smaller in the sidewall, but should be grand, it won't look as good,

Should be noted that oponeo are doing Bridgestones for €81. Add on €10-15 for fitting and you're at the price your guy is for the wrong size.

I rang a place to get 4 225/40/18s fitted.
    they said 20 inc balancing etc
    Are different sizes more expensive to fit?
    reason i ask is he asked me the size and car so he'd "know how much work was involved"

Yeah, some sizes are harder to fit, particularly low profile stuff or really wide tyres, then you have the risk of damaging the wheels to factor in. Plus the fact that he'll know you've already shelled out a good bit for an unusual size so why not make some money if he's going to more effort!
    225/40 isn't a crazy size by any means. Shop around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭tipperary

Does changing tyre size have any impact on insurance? Could it technically be considered an alteration to the car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Knowing the cowboy insurance market in Ireland, I'd say yes - that's quite possible.

I've never heard of it being a thing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

tipperary wrote: »
    Does changing tyre size have any impact on insurance? Could it technically be considered an alteration to the car?

In the 10+ years I've been getting insurance quotes, I don't even recall being asked what kind of tyres I have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

siblers wrote: »
    In the 10+ years I've been getting insurance quotes, I don't even recall being asked what kind of tyres I have.

But they ask has the car been modified from standard, that could cover anything from tyre size to engine work.

But I doubt tyre size would ever be an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I never recall being asked "how long have you owned this car, weeks, months,years?" but apparently it's this year's "what colour is you car" or "are you married"?

Who's to say that companies who won't insure cars with "the VTEC" or "them fancy radios with the empletree players" won't decide to only insure cars with factory spec tyres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Rather than start a new thread, I'm going to jump onto this one if that's ok ?

I need to get new tyres for my 2001 BMW 318ci - its currently fitted with 225/50 ZR16 92W and I've been really happy with them, but I've got a much better deal on eiretyres for 225/50 R16 92W.

What's the difference between ZR & R ? - will I notice any difference ?

Ta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

tipperary wrote: »

Yes.

The car is type approved only on particular sizes. Having different size of tyre technically does invalidate the type approval, thus it is not legal on the road.

Just declare it as a modification - haven't heart about an insurer to say it's not ok.

Andip wrote: »
    Rather than start a new thread, I'm going to jump onto this one if that's ok ?

I need to get new tyres for my 2001 BMW 318ci - its currently fitted with 225/50 ZR16 92W and I've been really happy with them, but I've got a much better deal on eiretyres for 225/50 R16 92W.

What's the difference between ZR & R ? - will I notice any difference ?

Ta

https://www.tyreleader.ie/tyres-advices/tyre-zr-or-r

Uberrimae fidei...

Advertisement