Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help, place to stay in Killybegs or

Options
  • 20-09-2016 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭

Hi, folks. My husband has signed up for a class that is being held Tuesday and Wednesday at LYIT in Killybegs. He can't drive due to a vision problem, and we live in south Sligo. He's already half fed up with the bus schedule and how it leaves him stranded in Donegal town for a couple hours in the evening. I would drive him but I work office hours during the day, often more, and it would mean hours on the road for me each day.

What if he found an inexpensive place to stay for just the Tuesday night, within walking distance of the school? We know nothing about the area actually. Someone gave him the name of the Ritz hostel, and I spoke to the host there, but she said that because she has so many students and working people who book the entire workweek, it would be impossible to guarantee him a bed for just the one night each week. An actual full-price hotel room would be out of the question financially for us at the moment because he's not working and the bus fare basically eats his jobseeker's payment whole. A B&B for 30-35 euro a night or less in the off-season might do, for example.

We even considered moving house up there, because I work from home, but that's not something we can see ourselves doing in the next two months if for no better reason than that we would have to give our present landlord adequate notice. I would also need fast, reliable fibre Internet service, and I don't know if that is available in the area yet.

Could you folks throw some ideas at me? It's OK if it's just brainstorming! Thanks much...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Wouldnt know the area personally but a quick google search will throw up a few B & B's. Give them a call to see how the rates are.

Broadband speeds? No idea, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Airbnb? There are a few places in Killybegs using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

AirBnB good shout. I'm sure business is slow in Killybegs this time of the year, might be able to do a deal if staying regularly.

Or what about an advert in DoneDeal or The Dealer?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

There seems to be just 1 efibre cabinet enabled in Killybegs, looking at fibrerollout.ie (8 active efibre cabinets in Donegal Town, so that's well catered for).
    Basically, if you were to move (regardless of town, really), you'd need to have a good idea that the house in question would be close enough to a cabinet to avail of the fibre service.

The AirBnB option mentioned above mightn't be a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭Firblog

You could try posting a wanted ad in killybegs buy and sell group on facebook, https://www.facebook.com/groups/492012360832655/?fref=ts say what you're looking for and hope someone who can help gets in touch.

Failing that I'd contact all the local b&b's and put your proposition to them...

• Advertisement
Advertisement