Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friend refusing to pay for damage he caused.

Options
  • 20-09-2016 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all, this is a bit of a confusing situation for me however I am livid but still don't know what to do. Here's the story:

I'm a fifth year student attending a secondary school in Meath. I arrive at school each morning at about 8:10am, which leaves me with 45 minutes-ish to do whatever I want, so I usually have breakfast. at about 8:30am my so called "friend" Dan, arrives at school. This morning, the 20th of September, it was a typical day, he arrived and I was catching up on some homework. He arrived and sat opposite me in our canteen area and started catching up on some homework too. About 5-10 minutes after he arrived one of the reps for the breakfast club came out and offered everyone a piece of fruit, I took a mandarin and set it to the side.

Out of no where, Dan bashed the mandarin with his fist and thought it was hilarious and to be fair I laughed a bit too. In a jokingly way, I smacked him with my pencil case and said "you gob****e you killed the fruit" and we laughed. As I leaned over to pick up the burst mandarin, he hit my elbow a few times giving me a dead arm. During this my phone fell out of my pocket but only onto the bench, it was fine. To get it out of my way I put it in my pencil case and zipped it up.

Suddenly Dan picked up the pencil case and threw it at a wall, hard. I didn't remember straight away that my phone was in the pencil case but when I did and picked up the pencil case, Dan was gone to his locker as it was 8:55am, almost time for class. Before trying to find him I obviously checked the phone for damage. The screen wasn't cracked but the LCD was and was not displaying anything. I tried removing the battery I tried everything it would not turn on.

The worst part about this is, it's not even my phone. It's a Galaxy S4 that a relative let me borrow as I has lost my phone a couple of weeks prior, and I'm still waiting for the insurance company to send me a replacement.

Anyway, furious, I went and confronted him and called him this and that, the same as anyone would if a fool threw their property at a concrete wall. It's beyond me why he done it in the first place, considering not only was my phone in it but so was my calculator and they aren't cheap either, an extremely high level of immaturity if you ask me.

So at 1:00pm, lunchtime, I walked into the town to a shop that fixes phones. I got a repair quote of €100 so I said okay and walked out and stormed back to school and told him. He looked at me and said "Why are you telling me" I replied "Because you broke it? How would you feel if I threw your phone at a wall" he then smirked and replied "I wouldn't feel anything I'd just make you buy me that new phone I was looking at then **** you 6 feet into the ground" Some nerve?

So at last the final class of the day comes and I spent that writing the story on a sheet of paper but in less detail since I didn't have as much time as I do now, and put it into the student comment box, so our year head will see it tomorrow.

So later that day I text him saying why did you throw my pencil case in the first place and he goes "karma for hitting me with your pencil case and for not doing your homework" what has not doing some of my homework got to do with any of this? He instigated the whole thing by bashing my mandarin. It went on and on until I told him that it's only fair he pays for the repair of the phone, he then told me to go f*ck myself, and the conversation ended there.

Finally, he is going on holidays tomorrow for 2 weeks so I won't see him, what should I do? I can't wait around to get the screen repaired because my auntie wants it back in the next few days and if she finds out what happened to it I'll be shot, so should I pay for it myself then get the school to get in contact with his parents so I can get the money back? Because I know for a fact if I done anything like what he done to my phone today his parents would be on my back faster than I could blink.

What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Sounds like Dan isn't your friend anymore...

Get your parents involved if you think they will have any sway on the situation but to be honest, I can see it being brought back to "it was only a pencil case. I didn't know there was a 400 euro phone in there" from his side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 calvinr22

I agree, but he still shouldn't have thrown it in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Chalk this one up as a lesson learnt

• Registered Users Posts: 16 calvinr22

That won't get my phone fixed...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

calvinr22 wrote: »
    ........ I didn't remember straight away that my phone was in the pencil case but when I did ..............

Break in the chain there, you could've dropped the phone again

Or the phone could've been broken before you put it in the pencil case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Two choices really pay to fix the phone or buy and new phone because your friend isn't going to pay up .

Consider it a life lesson

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Novus actus interveniens .................... is what your looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Out of no where, Dan bashed the mandarin with his fist and thought it was hilarious and to be fair I laughed a bit too. In a jokingly way, I smacked him with my pencil case and said "you gob****e you killed the fruit" and we laughed. As I leaned over to pick up the burst mandarin, he hit my elbow a few times giving me a dead arm. During this my phone fell out of my pocket but only onto the bench, it was fine. To get it out of my way I put it in my pencil case and zipped it up.

Suddenly Dan picked up the pencil case and threw it at a wall, hard.
    Live by the sword, die by the sword. You hit him with the pencil case, and thus he threw the pencil case at the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Just text/what's app him to say the phone was damaged when he threw the pencil case against the wall, it's going to cost you €x to get it fixed and you'd appreciate it of he'd pay 50% as you were both acting the pr1ck and should share the responsibility.

If he's really your friend he'll agree, if he doesn't then he's not much of a friend so chalk it down to experience and move on.

In fairness there's no way he could be expected to think that a pencil case you'd been hitting him with could contain a €400 phone. You set a precedent when you treated the pencil case irresponsibly yourself so he has plenty of mitigation in his favor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

If you were willing to piss about and hit him with the pencil case it's your fault. How was he to know your phone was in it? I have a pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭roadrunner16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78-4RobJQ0Y

I'd pay it and leave him behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭foxatron

Did Dan know your phone was in the pencil case? If he didn't, not much you can do. Sometimes **** just happens i'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78-4RobJQ0Y

I'd pay it and leave him behind.

this is one of my favorite parables
    i knew before i clicked what it would be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭roadrunner16

Tigger wrote: »
    this is one of my favorite parables
    i knew before i clicked what it would be

It so useful !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Did you meet his parents before? Are they decent? Do you think they'd pay the 100 Euro if they found out?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭cloloco

Don't worry, just own up to your parents about the phone being broken, it will all be ok.

I don't think there's much point in trying to get him to pay anything towards it, he probably didn't even know it was in there.

Less horse-play and maybe avoid the messers from now onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

What is the relevance of .......what time you arrive at a school ....... What you eat for breakfast....etc etc.

very long drawn out story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

You said you text him later that day to ask him why he did it,how did you text him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

This belongs in AH where it will receive the appropriate responses :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

FrostyJack wrote: »
    This belongs in AH where it will receive the appropriate responses :)

I thought the opposite when I say it was here
    At least here it gets relatively mature responses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

You were bantering about and the phone got damaged. Its not like he randomly arrived at table, grabbed phone and flung it at wall. You were both acting the maggot and phone got the worst of it in the mix . Granted he coulda offered to pay half but hes obviously not going to so thems the breaks as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

The worst part about this is, it's not even my phone. It's a Galaxy S4 that a relative let me borrow as I has lost my phone a couple of weeks prior, and I'm still waiting for the insurance company to send me a replacement.
    I got a repair quote of €100
    I can't wait around to get the screen repaired because my auntie wants it back in the next few days and if she finds out what happened to it I'll be shot, so should I pay for it myself

What should I do?

The important bit:
    You pay for the repair and tell your auntie that she can have the replacement phone the insurance company is sending out if she wants it and you get to keep the repaired Galaxy s4.

As for the rest
    I dont see the point of trying to get the school involved unless you want to them to investigate a disciplinary over your and Dan's actions? The cost of the repair is not their responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,967 ✭✭✭✭GBX

So Dan threw the object you hit him with because he killed a fruit? And you hit him with the pencil case.
    Serves you right. If somebody hit me with something id take it and it them back twice as hard. Count yourself lucky perhaps you didn't get it across the head so.

Suck it up and pay for it yourself. Don't be blaming him on the phone. As you said you laughed about this orange but still hit him with the case. You're at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Wesser wrote: »
    What is the relevance of .......what time you arrive at a school ....... What you eat for breakfast....etc etc.

very long drawn out story.

The squashing of the mandarin was a key moment in the build up to the pencil case throwing thus the phone breaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 sammysnail016

oh to be young and have no problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

danpartridge.jpg1-1024x578.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Back in the day if a school buddy threw my pencil case at a wall with my Nokia 3310 in it he'd have to pay for the damage to the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

edit: childlike & bad advise but ...

steal the books from his locker & sell them

or else you're going to have to get into a fight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

Chavways wrote: »
    400 euro phone
    You'll have to travel back in time for a Samsung Galaxy S4 to meet that description.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

endagibson wrote: »
    You'll have to travel back in time for a Samsung Galaxy S4 to meet that description.

Call Austin Powers OP.

Advertisement