Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friend refusing to pay for damage he caused.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭GBX

lassykk wrote: »
    Has to be the most bizarre thread I've ever read in Android Devices!

Yup. It belongs in after hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Rezident

calvinr22 wrote: »
    . . . He instigated the whole thing by bashing my mandarin. . . .

That is the greatest thing I have read all day.

Sounds like he's being a dik, give him another chance to cop on. Maybe give it a few goes, wear him down. Don't completely write him off, yet. Play the long game and try not to lose your cool. Make it clear that he is in the wrong, he sounds a bit slow/thick/eccentric.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

GBX wrote:
    Yup. It belongs in after hours.

More like Personal Issues

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Wouldn't it have been ironic if he was on the orange network lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I'm a fifth year student

FFS, If you had said First Year, I wouldn't have been surprised, but still dicking about trying to give each other "dead" arms and throwing each others pencil cases about in Fifth year?
    Call it a stupidity tax, and fix your Aunts phone yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

SteM wrote: »
    You can't bring an individual to small claims court.
    Sure you can, if it`s a small claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,325 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Sure you can, if it`s a small claim.

You may be thinking of Judge Judy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

endacl wrote: »
    You may be thinking of Judge Judy?

Dan sounds like he needs Jeremy Kyle. Jeremy would probably suggest the OP put "something on the end of it", like an otterbox case.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 the phantom worker

time to move on and leave this guy behind OP...he sounds Dan-gerous....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Sounds like dangerous Dave....
    There was a few dangerous lads in my school.
    Now they're hanging around the pub and bookies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

1. Let a few weeks pass.
    2. One day, ask Dan if you can borrow his phone for a moment.
    3. Immediately chuck it against the nearest wall as hard as you can.
    4. Laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 oulart

Sounds to me like you broke the phone dropping it and you are blaming your friend so you dont have to pay! I think a phone ****ed at a wall in a pencil case or not would have more damage.

Tell the truth and shame the Devil you broke it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

oulart wrote: »
    Sounds to me like you broke the phone dropping it and you are blaming your friend so you dont have to pay! I think a phone ****ed at a wall in a pencil case or not would have more damage.

Tell the truth and don't shame the Devil Dan the mandarin bashing man, you broke it!!

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Out of no where, Dan bashed the mandarin with his fist and thought it was hilarious and to be fair I laughed a bit too. In a jokingly way, I smacked him with my pencil case and said "you gob****e you killed the fruit" and we laughed. As I leaned over to pick up the burst mandarin, he hit my elbow a few times giving me a dead arm. During this my phone fell out of my pocket but only onto the bench, it was fine. To get it out of my way I put it in my pencil case and zipped it up.

Suddenly Dan picked up the pencil case and threw it at a wall, hard. I didn't remember straight away that my phone was in the pencil case but when I did and picked up the pencil case, Dan was gone to his locker as it was 8:55am, almost time for class. Before trying to find him I obviously checked the phone for damage. The screen wasn't cracked but the LCD was and was not displaying anything. I tried removing the battery I tried everything it would not turn on.

Finally, he is going on holidays tomorrow for 2 weeks so I won't see him, what should I do? I can't wait around to get the screen repaired because my auntie wants it back in the next few days and if she finds out what happened to it I'll be shot, so should I pay for it myself then get the school to get in contact with his parents so I can get the money back? Because I know for a fact if I done anything like what he done to my phone today his parents would be on my back faster than I could blink.

What should I do?

First, keep writing like this - well written, well structured and I'm glad to see that not all 5th years have abandoned the concept of syntax, grammar and the paragraph!

Second, avoid cliches like "suddenly" etc

Third, going on holiday for 2 weeks? In the middle of a school term? Time to 'drop a dime' on him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭moggser

cant believe i had to read this with my own two eye's

still a better love story than twilight tho

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Everyone keeps saying "lesson learned". What fcuking lesson? Is it buy stronger pencil cases? Prevent mandarin squishing by putting needles facing outwards in your mandarin? WHAT LESSON?

Everyone keeps saying "lesson learned". What fcuking lesson? Is it buy stronger pencil cases? Prevent mandarin squishing by putting needles facing outwards in your mandarin? WHAT LESSON?

Don't bring expensive phones to school?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Wouldn't it have been ironic if he was on the orange network lol

Or an Apple. smile.png

Jawgap wrote: »
    Don't bring expensive phones to school?

Ok, well thats one lesson. And you're the first one to actually state it, instead of just saying "learn your lesson", but not actually saying what the lesson is.

Any more?

Ok, well thats one lesson. And you're the first one to actually state it, instead of just saying "learn your lesson", but not actually saying what the lesson is.

Any more?

Some people are twunts......and sometimes you only tumble to that fact in very hard and expensive ways......

......be careful of your stuff, no one will treat it with the same care and consideration as you do.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I only read the first page, but how did the OP text Dan if his phone was broken?
    Who would "lend" such an expensive phone to someone? Dont they need it themselves?
    What good is insurance for a phone if it takes weeks to implement?
    And if you have a phone that actually requires insurance shouldn't you take proper care of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

Tbf, Twacking someone with a pencil case is quite different to seeing someone put their phone in the case, picking up that case and throwing it hard against a wall. They aren't the same.

Really what's needed is to get your folks involved. Get it fixed, and when Dan and his family are back from holidays have your parents approach his parents. Be happy to settle for a 50/50 split, but if you go in looking for that you'll get nothing, so ask for all the repairs to be covered.

Your lesson is that if you're horsing around, stuff can get broken.
    His lesson is that you don't pick someone's stuff up, and without knowing what's inside it throw it against a wall. Stuff can get broken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Any more?

Don't horse play.

Keep expensive fragile items safe, either on your person or locked away.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Don't horse play.

Keep expensive fragile items safe, either on your person or locked away.

Grand. So there's several different lessons, from several different people, all with different ideas of what the "lesson" should be! You need to SPECIFY these things people. Just saying.

OP, learn your lesson!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

Any more?

If someone lends you their property take extra good care of it as you will have to fix any damage it comes to.

Or more simply (and cynically) - neither a lender nor borrower be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Sorry OP, I woke up this morning and realised I need to be an adult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Here's another view point.
    My son had his phone in his bag, a friend kicked his bag. Nothing malicious but broke his phone.
    Phone was sent off and repaired and paid for by the kid who broke it.
    Moral of the story, don't horseplay with other people's stuff.
    If my son kicked the bag he would have learnt a tough lesson.

The kid who threw your case should be paying to get the phone fixed. He picked up your property without permission and had no regard for it or you.

In my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Why are these children being given phones to bring to school?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Triangle wrote: »
    Here's another view point.
    My son had his phone in his bag, a friend kicked his bag. Nothing malicious but broke his phone.
    Phone was sent off and repaired and paid for by the kid who broke it.
    Moral of the story, don't horseplay with other people's stuff.
    If my son kicked the bag he would have learnt a tough lesson.

The kid who threw your case should be paying to get the phone fixed. He picked up your property without permission and had no regard for it or you.

In my opinion

If the friend had just picked up the case and thrown it against the wall then they would be liable, but the OP brought the pencil case into the action so it's their fault.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    If the friend had just picked up the case and thrown it against the wall then they would be liable, but the OP brought the pencil case into the action so it's their fault.

Yeah, as the old saying goes....."don't bring a pencil case to a phone fight" :D

Advertisement