Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which waders?

• 20-09-2016 9:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

Guys I'm stuck for a choice between 2 pairs so I'm looking for any insights you may have.

I've had a pair of daiwa neoprene chest waders for about 3 years now and they've served me well. A seam along the boot and a hole in a crease of the other boot are my reasons for moving on.

I'm between a pair of Daiwa lightweight breathable with a stocking foot or a pair of Scierra cc3 XP, also a stocking foot.

They're both the same price so that's not a factor. If anybody has tried either or both of these waders and can give any feedback it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

I should probably mention that they are both chest waders!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

What kind of fishing and is there a reason you're switching from neoprene to breathable?

Myself and my fishing compatriots have used many many brands of waders for our sea fishing. They all leak eventually. I've had waders up from €100 to over €500 leak. For the fishing I do neoprene would be far far too warm so I wear breathable pairs.
    Breathable are by far more comfortable especially on warmer days. I'm climbing rocks and often walking a fair distance to get to marks. You'd melt in neoprene.

My advice is buy a pair that you can not only afford but afford to replace (each year in many cases).

• Registered Users Posts: 15 bazza85g

I have the Daiwa Lightweights. Nice waders and I wear them nearly all the time when I'm out fishing. The sole fell off one boot after two years and I replaced with cheap hiking boots. Had a small leak on the crotch which was easily repaired with aquaseal.
    I got waders and boots for €150. They're light, dry and don't stink. They've been in salt and fresh water, got a good hammering and I'm impressed.
    The neoprene socks keep the feet nice and warm on a cold day and I normally layer up with long johns and trackie bottoms if its going to be bitter cold. That does me fine. The boots that come with have good grip. When I replaced them with cheap hiking boots, I had to get metal studs for grip on rocks. The studs are amazing. I'll never go without them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Jim from Cork

Climb8 breathables are superb. Irish company too!
    http://www.climb8.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

I ended up gettin a pair of Scierra cc3 an volare boots from Glasgow angling centre for 180€ including delivery.
    I've only worn them twice since I got them and find they're very good quality. The boot is nice and light too which helps a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Waders are one of those necessary evils unfortunately, they are expensive, delicate and often faulty.

Neoprene can appear to be more durable than breathables but ive found that they are not massively more durable, and unless you are up to your waist in the water all day, they negate their waterproofness by drowning you in sweat. Ive come out of wearing a perfect pair of non breathables wetter than if i had a giant tear in them.

For this reason i will always go with breathables, but as mentioned already, dont go too expensive, a 500 quid pair is not much better than a 200 quid pair.

Id recommend going with diver dave. He is a drysuit repair man in Scotland who also repairs & sells waders. He usually can get you a good set of waders, which he quality checks and double seam seals before sending on to you for only about 20 quid more than the normal price. its a great deal.

You can find him here: https://sites.google.com/site/wadersrepairs/

Ive heard him quoted that a large percentage of brand new waders are leaky, just because of lack of quality control in factories. He resolves this and so you can get a pair of relatively cheap waders, and be sure when you get them they are perfect. I got a pair of Siccrea from him, fully sealed for 150 quid this year.

great deal as even in the stores they are that price, and with no guarantee they wont be faulty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

For anyone who got the climb 8 waders, how is the fit?

I e., say I'm a waist 30, and want room. For insulated trousers under the waders,

Would I go for the L which is for waist 30 or should I go for thr XL which is specified at 30.5 waist?

Are they tight meaning I should buy up one size?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Jim from Cork

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    For anyone who got the climb 8 waders, how is the fit?

I e., say I'm a waist 30, and want room. For insulated trousers under the waders,

Would I go for the L which is for waist 30 or should I go for thr XL which is specified at 30.5 waist?

Are they tight meaning I should buy up one size?

I wouldn't describe them as tight, however if wearing insulated trousers maybe up a size would make sense...

Advertisement