Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving home after holding Texas license

• 20-09-2016 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

I'm planning on moving home next year, I've lived in Texas, USA for a few years and I know there's no exchange agreement between Ireland and Texas so I'm essentially going to be treated like a new driver, i'll be 24 years old when I arrive, can anyone explain what steps I'll need to take?

Do I simply apply for a learners permit, take the theory, take the practical and job done? I've read somewhere you actually NEED to have a certain amount of lessons? Is that necessary for every driver these days?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

You will need to pass the theory test first, then get a learner permit, then a number of mandatory driving lessons, then pass the driving test before you can apply for a driving licence.

http://www.irishcentral.com/opinion/others/want-to-move-to-ireland-getting-a-drivers-license-is-a-nightmare

There might be a workaround if you could exchange your licence for one in another country that in turn has a reciprocal driving licence recognition agreement with Ireland. Other than that I don't think there's any shortcut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Only good thing is that you don't have to wait six months to sit the test if you've had the US licence for more than 6 months.
    In Ireland you must hold a Learner Permit for six months before applying for your test however a holder of a current full driving licence in the same category from another country (jurisdiction) for more than six months is exempt from this requirement, provided have completed EDT and you forward a current original driving licence and a letter of entitlement from the relevant licensing authority in that country to the:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Del2005 wrote: »
    Only good thing is that you don't have to wait six months to sit the test if you've had the US licence for more than 6 months.
    There are a number of essential driver training providers that offer the 12 mandatory driving lesssons to a compressed schedule over a few days for experienced drivers who have a full driving licence from another country. A quick Web search should find some.

You will need an Irish address and PPSN to apply for the theory test but it should be possible to schedule to sit the theory test within two weeks if you can be flexible with the theory test centre, date and time.

You will have to have passed your theory test, obtained your learner permit and completed the 12 essential driver training lessons before you can apply to sit your driving test. The average waiting time to sit the driving test is ten weeks but you could sit it sooner if you are willing to take a cancellation at short notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

There might be a workaround if you could exchange your licence for one in another country that in turn has a reciprocal driving licence recognition agreement with Ireland. Other than that I don't think there's any shortcut.

This is a bit of a myth - the NDLS will contact the relevant foreign licencing authorities who will be required to confirm the driver's record including when they have passed practical tests or if they have exchanged their entitlements from elsewhere and if so, from where.

In this case, Texas, or anywhere in North America outside of Ontario, Manitoba and Labrador/ Newfoundland is out of the question as we don't have a reciprocal arrangement. Some other states will issue a full licence to drivers who surrender their EU licence but that's one way traffic- we won't do the same for members of those states.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

cantdecide wrote: »
    This is a bit of a myth - the NDLS will contact the relevant foreign licencing authorities who will be required to confirm the driver's record including when they have passed practical tests or if they have exchanged their entitlements from elsewhere and if so, from where.

In this case, Texas, or anywhere in North America outside of Ontario, Manitoba and Labrador/ Newfoundland is out of the question as we don't have a reciprocal arrangement. Some other states will issue a full licence to drivers who surrender their EU licence but that's one way traffic- we won't do the same for members of those states.

not totally a myth. I know someone who went to work in the states and got a driving license there. they then lived in Germany for a while and they were able to swap their us license for a german one as germany had a reciprocal arrangement because of the US troops stationed there. they then swapped their german license for an irish one when they returned home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Given the absolutely horrible standard of driving in the USA, I'd certainly hope that it wouldn't be possible to swap any US licence for any European one.

I've done tests and got licences from Washington and California and in each case the entire process took all of about half an hour. No appointment necessary. A brief multiple choice test followed by a quick spin around the block, followed by a ten minute wait while they print your licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I'm from Texas. Before I left, I requested an official copy of my driving history that proved I had a clean driving record for more than 6 months (the "letter of entitlement" referred to above). I also kept my insurance coverage in force until I bought a car and needed to insure it in Ireland, so I didn't have a potentially expensive coverage lapse; you will almost certainly not be covered under your old policy for driving in Ireland, though. It might take a little persuasion to get the new insurance company to request your no-claims history from your old insurance company because they don't really do that in Texas, but if you let your new insurance company request it from the old one, they will work out what they need between themselves. Due to good paperwork practices, I was the only learner driver I knew with ten years no-claims bonus on my insurance. Definitely call around and explain that you're an experienced American driver and you have had no claims for however long, and you can find companies willing to insure you (Allianz did a good job for me, but they have changed their rates since then). Even with the recent premium increases, you are likely to pay a little less here than for equivalent coverage in Texas.

Do not assume that just because you can drive in Texas that you understand the rules of the road in Ireland. The driving test is frustrating as hell here and I failed it three times. This was after a full set of lessons; I had never driven a "stick shift" car in my life until I moved here and I wound up not using my letter of entitlement because I took the lessons anyway. You are not allowed to drive on a learner's permit in Ireland, so you might want to make sure you have some other form of transportation arranged. Official opinions vary, but on the whole the consensus seems to be that even with a provisional Irish license, you are permitted to drive on your valid American license for up to a year after you arrive. This rule is really for tourists, but sympathetic gardai will understand that you just basically have to get to work and shop for groceries. Don't push it though; if you are in an accident or if you are stopped for a legitimate traffic violation, you might find that the official processing your case has a different, unfavorable opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dennyk

The average waiting time to sit the driving test is ten weeks but you could sit it sooner if you are willing to take a cancellation at short notice.

Don't count on this; I asked to be put on the cancellation list about two days after scheduling my test (was waiting for my six-month exemption letter to arrive just in case I got scheduled immediately...ha!). Still took over three months to get a test date.

Advertisement