Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Save the longwave Radio

• 20-09-2016 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7 savertelw252

RTE are SILL planning to cut off the elderly, the lonely, the sick and the isolated, a disgusting attack on our diaspora and on rural Ireland. WE MOST STOP THIS. We are planning a protest outside RTE Donnybrook on Monday October 31st at 2.52pm
    Please follow us on twitter or Facebook to help #savertelw252

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

RTE are SILL planning to cut off the elderly, the lonely, the sick and the isolated, a disgusting attack on our diaspora and on rural Ireland. WE MOST STOP THIS. We are planning a protest outside RTE Donnybrook on Monday October 31st at 2.52pm

Who doesn't have an FM radio in 2016?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

What are the LW listenership numbers like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Sure are they not all getting high speed broadband in the country ? I hear you can also listen to the Radio on your mobile. Or on the TV if you have virgin don't they still do the radio channels on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

1) Can you only listen to LW252 if you are old, alone, sick?
    2) I think to call it a disgusting attack is slightly OTT
    3) Monday at 2.52pm , no work that day for all the protestors?

I look forward to seeing the thousands of people at this protest, and the headlines all over the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭maregal

Your life must be pretty easy if the winding down of a Long Wave radio station outrages you this much. Don't forget to bring the Palestinian flags to your Halloween protest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Some people love being outraged by the most trivial things.

Why get annoyed at the health or education service when you can get annoyed at an outdated radio service with a few hundred listeners being scrapped.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

maregal wrote: »
    Your life must be pretty easy if the winding down of a Long Wave radio station outrages you this much. Don't forget to bring the Palestinian flags to your Halloween protest.

Flabbergasting how you can shoehorn a dig at Palestinians into just about every thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Can you add in a few shouts about the demise of the hand written 'thank you' note while you're at it?. Old people love those, and its a disgusting crime that no one does it any more. Something must be done etc. Someone think of the children!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Nothing like the crackly sound of a radio on long wave.
    It reminds me of being at my grandmas house in Kerry long ago.

Nothing like listening to long wave radio and looking from your window out over the Atlantic ocean on a windswept wintry wet afternoon.

Best done in damp cold clothes.

Pure bliss.

Or else you could listen to spotify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 savertelw252

It's OK for you upstarts to talk about the internet and "smart"phones and dongles but these people who rely on longwave don't know what those things are, many of them have never even used a standard telephone, let alone a "smart"phone, whatever that is.

• Advertisement

It's OK for you upstarts to talk about the internet and "smart"phones and dongles but these people who rely on longwave don't know what those things are, many of them have never even used a standard telephone, let alone a "smart"phone, whatever that is.

Who are these people? How many of them are there?

I imagine (pie in the sky guess) it would be cheaper for all, and more beneficial to 'them' to offer 'them' all technology lessons and bring them up to date with the world than continue to support a dead technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well to be fair now there's plenty of adult and senior education options out there (source: I used to work in the education sector) that would help them get to grips with these things for minimal or no cost as I recall.

In short, there's no excuse for not being able to use these things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's OK for you upstarts

You aren't going to get much support with hysteria and insults.
    many of them have never even used a standard telephone

Or insanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,023 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Are we back in the 60's again?
    I think all those valve AM radios have given up the ghost at this stage.
    RTE should hand out €20 FM radios to everybody in the protest.
    This protest is beyond ridiculous.

Note: How many radios with LW functionality have been sold in the last 2 decades? I would say very few.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Completely agree with the OP, today it's longwave radio they're after. tomorrow they're decommissioning vacuum tubes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

We are planning a protest outside RTE Donnybrook on Monday October 31st at 2.52pm

Did your longwave radio not tell you that October 31st is a Bank Holiday, so there will be almost nobody working in RTE that day?
    Or that there's a little thing called the Dublin City Marathon on that day that will render RTE almost inaccessible?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

Feck sake op, where were you and your protesters when they phased out telegaphs in the post offices?

LW is a fairly outmoded technology at this stage. I'd be surprised if LW recievers are even widely available anymore.

And "they" have never used a standard telephone? Yerra get off the stage will you. Are you the chair of the hermits society or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,023 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Well to be fair now there's plenty of adult and senior education options out there (source: I used to work in the education sector) that would help them get to grips with these things for minimal or no cost as I recall.

In short, there's no excuse for not being able to use these things.

Steps to buying an FM radio.

1: Go into a shop that sells FM Radios
    2: Give the teller money for the said radio.
    3: Walk out of the shop.
    4: Go home

Tune in next week for my next lesson.
    How to plug in the radio and tune in to RTE Radio 1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

As an engineer I'm always a little sad to see some technologies go the way of the dodo or at least be consigned to the museum but LW is just outdataed at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 veliktom

I don't know about 252 but I still listen to BBC Radio 4 on 198 LW occasionally, for the cricket commentary. It can be picked up all over Ireland in the car. I think the shipping forecast is still broadcast on 198 LW due to it being the most reliable radio transmission method for ships at sea, so not sure it is completely gone the way of the dodo yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

Mod Note
    Closing for move to Radio.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Radio mod: Thread already duplicated here so unless there's some significant insight in this thread, it will remain closed. If there is some significant insight I've missed, report this post and I will merge the threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement