Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wanting to join the emergency services

• 21-09-2016 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hello, since a little child I've dreamt of being a fireman. No reasoning behind, just a dream job. But recently I've been very interested in both the Guards and the Ambulance service, I'm 19. What would be the best possible way to start? The guards seem to be recruiting at the mo but I don't have a leaving cert in Irish etc, (went to an Irish primary school and secondary school only up till 2nd year) then left for an English and did both junior and leaving in english, still know Irish very well. I've tried to join organisations like Civil Defence and Order of Malta but none just seem to be recruiting. So where should I go from here? Any advice? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Hana98

I think you can join the Civil Defence whenever you want. You can join the Order of Malta at any time. Look online for your local unit to contact and join.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Hana98 wrote: »
    I think you can join the Civil Defence whenever you want. You can join the Order of Malta at any time. Look online for your local unit to contact and join.
    Depends where you are. Dublin units for example have waiting lists. The fact the OP has omitted their location makes me suspect they're Dublin based.

Mccabe96 wrote: »
    ............ The guards seem to be recruiting at the mo but I don't have a leaving cert in Irish etc, (went to an Irish primary school and secondary school only up till 2nd year) then left for an English and did both junior and leaving in english,..........

Did you not do Irish in the leaving cert though? It's mandatory iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

For the National Ambulance Service you will need a Pass leaving Certificate which must also include a science subject. You will also require a clean C1 or C driving licence prior to an application being accepted for consideration.

The best of luck with your choice and future career.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mccabe96

flazio wrote: »
    Depends where you are. Dublin units for example have waiting lists. The fact the OP has omitted their location makes me suspect they're Dublin based.

Wicklow based.

• Advertisement

Hana98 wrote: »

The civil defence local officer told me they won't be recruiting again until 'late' 2016.. And I'll be wanting to join the AUX side of thigs as that'll give me the best experience if I decide to join the fire service.

Bang Bang wrote: »
    For the National Ambulance Service you will need a Pass leaving Certificate which must also include a science subject. You will also require a clean C1 or C driving licence prior to an application being accepted for consideration.

The best of luck with your choice and future career.[/quote
    Oh you need a C licence also? Didn't know that. I don't believe I did a science subject in either of my exams unfortunately?

Augeo wrote: »
    Did you not do Irish in the leaving cert though? It's mandatory iirc.

Unfortunately not, all the subjects were English, expect for Spanish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Mccabe96 wrote: »
    [/quote
    Oh you need a C licence also? Didn't know that. I don't believe I did a science subject in either of my exams unfortunately?

No, the requirement is a C1 licence, the C licence is for larger trucks but also covers the C1 class. There are very few C1 learner vehicles with driving schools so most will just do lessons and sit the C driving test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The only bit of advice I can give is to not even consider the Gardaí. I'm on the way out of it, and I can definitely say that it's ruined my life. Steer well clear of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement