Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Towbar bike rack

Options
  • 21-09-2016 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good bike rack that clips on to the towbar of the car? I don't want one with a "stage", just a simple one that I can easily get on and off the tow bar, throw in the boot and keep it there until needed. 2 bike capacity is plenty.
    I've read the reviews for this Exodus ones on Halfords but some people said the rack can slip sideways on the towbar ball.
    http://www.halfords.ie/camping-leisure/bike-racks/rear-mounted-bike-racks/exodus-2-bike-towbar-mounted-cycle-carrier

I have Hollywood 3 bike rack already but it's a PITA to put on and off and there's no way you'd store it in the boot.

ETA: one that tilted to allow access to the boot when the bike is mounted would be a bonus.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

I have this one - very quick and easy to mount onto the towbar and mount bikes onto, very sturdy.
    Stores neatly in the boot, doesn't take up much space at all.

It doesn't tilt for access to the boot though.

https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=11394

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

I have this one;

http://www.micksgarage.com/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=1154684

Very happy with it and it tilts to open the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I have the halfords one you linked to, it's grand, sturdy enough and hasn't slipped on me at all. Used it to drive across England with bikes and regularly up and down to Wexford and never had any issues with it. Lock can be a bit fiddly but overall very pleased with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭54and56

marvin80 wrote: »
    I have this one - very quick and easy to mount onto the towbar and mount bikes onto, very sturdy.

Agree with this. Really solid and easy to mount/dismount on the tow bar. I keep it in the boot and it's never let me down. IMO the Halfords model is a weak copy. I looked at both and went with the Thule.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wuzziwig

Thanks I hadn't spotted that one. It looks handy enough for even me to use!! I'm trying to figure out how much I really need a tiltable one though. It would be very handy.

Veetwin, is that one very big? Would you be able to keep it in the boot of the car when not in use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

I have this...and it sounds like what you need.
    Its ROCK solid...on and off in seconds...can be locked if you like or kept in boot of car.

EDIT[GET THE THULE 970!!]

Marty

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

joey100 wrote: »
    I have the halfords one you linked to, it's grand, sturdy enough and hasn't slipped on me at all.

I have one similar to this too. Very easy to mount/dismount (about 10 sec). It can twist on a swan-neck tow hitch but It only happened once when I had a sail of a bag on the carrier. Lives in the boot fulltime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Yikes wrong link...its the Thule 970 i have and its looks similar to what i linked...i got it in halfords a few years back

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Exiled1

Thule make the best carriers, rather expensive but simple and sturdy.

My daughter's friend was travelling in Devon a few weeks ago, her husband driving. She dropped asleep to wake on hearing a loud noise. The bike had fallen from their roof carrier onto the motorway...... tragedy.......two dead in the ensuing pile up. Husband now charged with a multitude of offences, all serious.

Exiled1 wrote: »

My daughter's friend was travelling in Devon a few weeks ago, her husband driving. She dropped asleep to wake on hearing a loud noise. The bike had fallen from their roof carrier onto the motorway...... tragedy.......two dead in the ensuing pile up. Husband now charged with a multitude of offences, all serious.

I do the annual pilgrimage to France with roofbox and tow bar bike rack etc every year and the thoughts of something like that happening is just a nightmare. Desperate obviously for the people killed and injured in the pile up but desperate also for that driver who would never have intended for anything like that to happen. Could have been as simple an oversight as not tightening the restrainers onto the bike properly.

Very sorry to hear this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I have an Exodus 2 bike one from Halfords.
    Mine doesn't tilt but I can still open the booth if I pull the rack back a bit.

Some people's hitches might have taken a bang and thus be closer to the car and not allow you to open the booth. If you ask the Halfords staff they will let you try one.

I have not had issues with the number plate and lights being obscured but it could be an issue if you came across the wrong cop.

For occasional journeys they are perfect, easy to take on and off and can be just slipped into the booth when not in use.

Actually Aldi had 3 bike ones in stock recently. Might be worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Schrodingercat

I have the thule 970 as well and can't fault it.
    It folds up nice and small ,and is quick to put on.

Its a bit cheaper from amazon (cheaper than the halfords one as well)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001N3L4D0/ref=pe_385721_142696861_TE_dp_1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

wuzziwig wrote: »
    Thanks I hadn't spotted that one. It looks handy enough for even me to use!! I'm trying to figure out how much I really need a tiltable one though. It would be very handy.

Veetwin, is that one very big? Would you be able to keep it in the boot of the car when not in use?

I'm not sure if it easily folds flat for storage and I can't check until I go home!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Exiled1 wrote: »

i saw someone on the M4 west of kinnegad last year whose 2 bikes had fallen from the roof of the car onto the motorway. cue them reversing up the hard shoulder to get back to the bikes that were still in the left hand lane. i flashed the lights at cars coming against me for the next 5 mins or so (was in a van so lights high enough to maybe be seen across the concrete in the center) and thankfully never heard any more about it.

a scenario like the above was exactly what went through my head and as someone said it only takes a simple mistake to cause it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

I'm always a bit paranoid about something like that happening as well.

I use bungee cords as extra security when I have one or two bikes on the rack.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I have this one as well.
    Sturdy and easy to use. I use a couple of toe straps, when I have two bikes on it, to ensure, there is no movement. It folds up very neatly. There is also provision on it to use a padlock to lock it to tow bar, which I haven't used.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭1Anon

I have this one:

https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=37365

Looks like it's just a tiltable, 3 bike version of the 970 but I love it. Very sturdy, compact, easy to set up, and tiltable.

I also have a larger fancy one with a platform, tail lights etc but I seldom use it because this one is more than adequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭horslips

The police in France often stop tourists who use these type of racks. €110 on-the-spot fine, I understand. If you are going to use one of these racks there, get a trailer-board with lights and number plate to hang on the rear bike.

I know it is not what the OP is looking for but I use a Thule 925 hitch-mounted rear carrier and am very satisfied with it. Got it at a very competitive price at Cycle Superstore. Safe and secure. I have taken 2 bikes to and from South Brittany for the last 3 years without a hitch (no pun intended!)

1Anon wrote: »
    I have this one:

https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=37365

Looks like it's just a tiltable, 3 bike version of the 970 but I love it. Very sturdy, compact, easy to set up, and tiltable.

I also have the Thule 4 bike tiltable tow bar rack https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thule-Hang-Bike-CARRIER-Bikes/dp/B0060LM510/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1474467885&sr=8-6&keywords=thule+tow+bar+4+bike which I use for family trips to France and it's rock solid (thankfully) but although it tilts the problem is that the weight of four bikes tilting back at you can be seriously difficult to control. It may be easier to manage on more expensive platform type models such as https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01ELC4K0S/ref=pd_sim_sbs_263_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=06TRH03KXHJVG528G5TZ.

Like Marvin80 I'm also paranoid when hitting the road with four bikes on the back and use both bungee cords to make sure the wheels aren't flapping all over the place as we go but I also use all four bike locks to ensure all bikes are secured to each other and to the bike rack. It takes me about 5 minutes to put them on and take them off at our destination but one thing is for sure, the only way those bikes are coming off the back of my car is if the tow bar itself comes off!!

I also learned the hard way ref making sure you have a number plate and brake light board https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maypole-MP8551P-Board-Cycle-Carrier/dp/B0073C50IA/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1474468408&sr=1-2&keywords=bike+rack+number+plate for hanging off the back of the bikes. Was pulled over by a Policeman in Wales on our way home from France (long story) who very politely asked me what I had in the car (answer = wife and two kids) and then got me to stand 10 yards behind the car and asked me did I think drivers behind me on the motorway would be able to easily see my brake lights or indicators if I had to brake in an emergency? Whilst you could see them through spokes and frames etc the honest answer was that they were only partially visible and at 80mph any delay in reaction times from a car behind to sudden braking by me could result in a major accident and death/injury to not just my own family but potentially another family travelling behind me.

I totally accepted his advice and as soon as I got home I went and bought the board above and have been using it ever since. I can only imagine how I'd feel if a major accident could have been avoided by purchasing a €25 plug in rear board.

• Advertisement

@Jean

Where did you get the number plate fitted?

I think Halfords offer it with the number plate so I might call into them.

Mine definitely obscures the plate and lights a bit. Very handy when you want to avoid the speed van but always a possibility a cop would pull you.

I was tempted to wait and get one of them 4 bike complete kits but I would say they are quite long from the back of the car. Maybe issues with parking in underground places.

@Jean

Where did you get the number plate fitted?

Got a number plate made up here - http://www.stillorgancycles.com. Cost €15 or so and was done in about 5 minutes. I just screwed it onto the board myself. Easy peezy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

i've a thule 9503 and think it's a great job, doesn't fold the smallest but does tilt which is very handy.

i got a number plate done in the expert hardware store on george's st in dublin for about €10 and similar to jean just screwed it on myself. you can get specific number plate screws if you like (can't unscrew with normal screwdriver) but really any standard screw will do just fine.

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I bought the Thule 970 on Amazon. It was affordable and does what I need it to. I should have it next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

I have the same thule one as wuzziwig. Its very sturdy but I dont like putting more than one bike on it. Have taken bike on numerous trips around Ireland to events the last two years with no issues. It only cost about 70 quid in halfords. You can adjust it to fit smaller bikes as well. Feels really secure if im going into shops i usually put a lock around it and the bike just to deter thieves. Seconds to put on and remove. H

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

horslips wrote: »
    The police in France often stop tourists who use these type of racks. €110 on-the-spot fine, I understand. If you are going to use one of these racks there, get a trailer-board with lights and number plate to hang on the rear bike.

Which rack, The Thule 970?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Any rack where the bikes can obscure the number plate and/or lights. For these you need the trailer-board and extra number plate. I have seen cars get away with just a number plate hanging behind the bikes so long as the lights are (mostly) visible through the bike wheels.

Like this.
    Bike%20rack.JPG

This style is ok.
    Thule-EuroWay-G2-3-bike-tow-bar-carrier-no.-923_01G.jpg

Just wanted to report back on the rack. I got it last week and did a 6 hour round trip with 2 bikes loaded on it over the weekend. It's great, so easy to put on and take off compared to my Hollywood rack. The rack is rock solid on the towbar ball and once you use a few bungee cords the bikes don't stir at all on it. The only thing I will say is, either I'm really thick (it's quite possible!) or this rack does not tilt easily when the bikes are loaded. I just about managed it once with one bike on but couldn't do it again no matter how much I tried. It was very awkward the time I did do it and I had to kinda balance the bike with my knee while fiddling with getting stuff out of the boot. Am I missing something?
    Other than that it's a great rack for the price and the fact you can padlock it and then lock the bikes on to it is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭horslips

@MBLacey : Not the Thule but where people hang bikes over the plate and lights obscuring one or both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

In terms of taking up very little space the Pendle bike rack is good and also very rigid and safe. Rigid yes, tiltable no.
    http://www.pendle-bike.co.uk/shopping/hang-on-tb-rack.php

There's a bracket permanently mounted to the towbar and the two arms that hold the bikes lie flat in the boot taking up very little space when not in use.

It lacks mounting points so you have to tie the bikes down with straps yourself and when three bikes are on it you would want to use the lightbar plugged in.

Advertisement