Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motor insurance policy while between cars.

• 21-09-2016 11:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭

Hoping to sell my car in the next few days but it maybe a week or two before I have a new car to transfer my policy to. Whats the normal procedure just let the insurance company know I've sold the car and then transfer it when I get the new car or can I temporarily suspend the policy. I'm a named driver on the wifes car so I can still drive that but I may need to drive other family members cars when I'm looking around at buying a new one so would still need the 3rd party extension cover.

With Aviva was also wondering as I'm considering buying in the UK if you can use the temporary online transfer with a UK reg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Technically, I think that your policy and it's provisions should be regarded as effectively suspended once you have sold the car.

This is based on the concept that the subject matter of the contract [the car] has been disposed of. Ergo, there is no contract in existence after sale is completed.

I don't know for sure about the UK registration situation as I could see a few problems there. However, in the light of what I said above I think that you would be wiser to assume that the policy and it's provisions are rendered nugatory after sale of your current car and any attempted transfer of cover would be invalid as you could be using a facility under a policy that is in a state of legal suspension . Best to play it safe and avoid a legion of potential problems.

Advertisement